Hello All,

I've recently become interested in HiRez after reading some online pieces questioning whether there was much point going beyond the Redbook standard given real world limitations on human hearing and electronic reproduction. To test it out for myself, I bought a cheapie upsampling DVD player (Panasonic S-77) and set it to output 24/88.2 and 176.4 to my Audiolab M-DAC for my CD listening. Yes, more is better as far as my ears are concerned.

That said, there is a problem with the current setup as the sound will occaissionally break up, probably due to poor jitter control one would expect in a budget transport (I have also fiddled with all the jitter rejection levels on the DAC, but the problem persists).

I am currently researching better quality transports that could ideally go all the way up to 192. The Cambridge Audio 751BD looks quite nice but is a little pricey, though it certainly is an option if there's a worthwhile improvement in SQ. So there are three questions for me:

- Does anyone out there have experience with the 751BD playing standard CDs that they can share?

- Are there other players out there that can output 192 without the jitter problem at a price point less than the 751BD? I don't mind shopping used for discontinued models.

- The 751 BD actually is capable of 384 output, and there are DACs out ther that can handle it, though not via SPDIF which I understand is limited to 192. Does anyone know of work being done to upgrade SPDIF to 384?

Many thanks for any help you can give!