+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Copper Dac

I'm Duncan.

Default Copper Dac

This is my latest project, a CS4397 dac directly output to the double triode 6n3p dr coupled with Mundorf Supreme caps.
    Its nice working with copper.

i'll add some internal shots later.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Dunc,

Looks great, mate. Can't wait to hear it! Please make sure you also post the pictures in our D.I.Y room, including the internal shots, as it's your D.I.Y project, too. The guys there would love to see it and might miss it otherwise in The Gallery

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Very very nice Duncan, If I had the wherewithall I would love to try stuff like that - I doubt I could though!

did you buy the sheeting yourself and form it too? it looks luvvverrrlyyyy
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Dunc,

Looks great, mate. Can't wait to hear it! Please make sure you also post the pictures in our D.I.Y room, including the internal shots, as it's your D.I.Y project, too. The guys there would love to see it and might miss it otherwise in The Gallery

Marco.
    Exactly! nothing more to add to that really

I'm fightingmywayoutofawetecho.

Steve get over here asap ive got the prototype of that its more than luvvverrrlyyyy

Ian.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Walker View Post
    Steve get over here asap ive got the prototype of that its more than luvvverrrlyyyy

Ian.
    You are a lucky biatch, reallly! lol.... i will come over tomorrow night if you like. I can bring the CD's I mentioned. ( you were taking to me? )

Last edited by aquapiranha; 26-02-2009 at 21:29.

I'm Duncan.

The case started out as 18 gauge copper sheet, cost me £39 for a 1000x500 piece.
    The bottom plate is stainless steel 2mm thick and eats drill bits. The sides are solid Iroko hardwood, its a nice combination.

I'm Steve.

Copper is a very nice looking metal, a bit soft though also. The DAC looks great Duncan.

I'm InSpace.

That IS a classy looking piece of work... Well done!
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Duncan.

Default TDA1543 X 4 Nos

As promised some internal pix.
    The CS4397 dac has been replaced with a TDA1543 X 4 in paralell with no over sampling, passive i/v.This suits the gain of valve stage much better giving enormous dymanics.
    The CS4397 is very good but does have some glare, is this the internal i/v convertion inside the chip?internal op-amp?
    This was my first attempt at point to point wiring and had to rip it all out twice before I managed to get total silence with the power amp at full gain.How you wire the earths are very important.
    The sound can best be descibed as playing a record without a turntable but with non of the associated problems that brings.
    The other copper case is the first order I have recieved so must be doing something right

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast