+ Reply to Thread
Page 302 of 540 FirstFirst ... 202252292300301302303304312352402 ... LastLast
Results 3,011 to 3,020 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    in bidding wars things often can sell for more than there real value. folk get carried away, while in cold light of a straight price, most would balk at such a price.
    That is evident if you filter searches for completed items. The prices items sell for vary considerably, which I assume is because of the nature of bidding wars. That's why I never bid early, the human competitive streak can make people behave recklessly and bid far more than they really want to pay.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Geoff.

Yes. Selling prices can vary substantially for similar items. The day, time of day and even time of year have an effect. The run up to Christmas and the new year and holiday periods influence things.

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Not everyone uses sniping software, and those that do may not have set their maximum bid high enough.

If you put your maximum bid a few hours earlier, later bidders can still outbid you because they can be told to re-bid by ebay all the while your maximum is the higher. Eventually their bid would, if they were determined, exceed you maximum and could become the winning bid.
    That's true Barry, but the point I was replying to suggested that snipers put in a max bid and leave it to come in at the last knockings which is different to your scenario ( I think). What I'm suggesting is these particular snipers don't necessarily have an advantage.
    If someone is bidding 'normally' and see that they are outbid by someone's max, as in your post, then it's perfectly legit for them to up their bid and win, that's exactly what I'd do if I wanted the item.

I'm Grant.

Depends. A sniping tool goes in about 10 secs before end often
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Yes - if I am really keen to win something, I will put in a bid at the last moment with what I think is a sufficently high maximum to do the trick. Exactly how much that is will depend on the most recent bidding history, and if the bidding has already exceeded what I could afford I don't bid at all. But in all cases, even with a 'trump all' bid the amount is always what I can afford. Sometimes I have won an item, but have had to pay more than I would have wished, but less than my affordable maximum.
    On that occasion it was essential that I win it and the pressure was on. Some here are talking about 10% over the odds or sniping tools which wont work when an item is in big demand. With certain hifi equipment there will be someone who really wants to win it with an over the odds bid.

The risk I mentioned was naughty but I felt necessary. I felt the other bidder may have had the same trump all idea so I went in high. If someone else had bid say £300 we would have been faced with a winning bid of twice what we would have been comfortable paying. I would have risked non payment strike as a favour to my dad. It would have been humble apologies but I have made a mistake in bidding

If the item is less in demand you have a chance . You can never be certain with an ebay bid. Many times I wished the auction could have continued because there is no real way to judge how keen the other bidders are.
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 29-03-2018 at 19:54.

I'm Martin.

I don't see the problem with the snipers. They set up a snipe of £150 to fire ten seconds from the end. But then you bid £180 manually, 30 seconds before the end. No time for them to do a new snipe. You win for £151, £29 less than the max you were happy to pay.

If the snipe was set for £200, he gets it for £181 but that was more than you reckoned it was worth so it's good that you don't end up paying that.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Oh dear,

I know I have a shit memory, but I've really excelled this time.

I've been after a pair of Celestion 3's or 5's for some time now. I only really want the tweeters, to put into a mint pair of 5's given to me last year by a kind soul on here.

I looked on ebay today, and saw a pair of 5's with a bid of £20, with £23 postage. I thought that was already as high as I would have been prepared to go, so I moved on.

I then saw a pair of 3's going for £15 plus £22 postage. I put a bid of £17 on it, then looked at "My ebay" to check it had worked (really clueless about this stuff). That was when I spotted that the £20 bid on the other speakers was actually me. I put that bid on last week.

Anyway, I've won the 3's, so now I'm praying that I get outbid on the others tomorrow.

This may be my last post as Mrs. P is going to flay me alive when she gets in from work.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post

Anyway, I've won the 3's, so now I'm praying that I get outbid on the others tomorrow.

This may be my last post as Mrs. P is going to flay me alive when she gets in from work.
    Why not just go into eBay and cancel your bid??!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Steve.

Can you do that? I thought placing a bid committed you to buy.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

It's Easter Bank Holiday so can someone please explain to me why I have just trawled through 80-odd channels and there is no Sinbad film on anywhere? I thought it was the law that Easter Bank Holiday they had to show a Sinbad film in the afternoon? Or an acceptable substitute such as Jason And The Argonauts or Clash Of The Titans (not the remake, the original with that bloke off of L.A Law).

I really don't know what this country is coming to. Hopefully after Brexit they will sort this out. It's just unacceptable.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

+ Reply to Thread