+ Reply to Thread
Page 250 of 540 FirstFirst ... 150200240248249250251252260300350 ... LastLast
Results 2,491 to 2,500 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Ah. There are many bibles. Would you know which one? It's been written in so many interpretations, it's very hard to tell which is correct. If any.
    You want a King James Edition. That's like the Linn Sondek of Bibles. Lots of people rate it as the best even though there is no real reason to do so but nevertheless it has become something of a benchmark. But pretty much any version has the Book of Revelations in it. As with popular beat combo 'Iron Maiden' the whole 'Number Of The Beast' thing is a big draw so they don't tend to leave it out. Don't get one of those modern Bibles where Jesus talks in street slang, unless you are deliberately being ironic.

Anyways, New Testament, near the back.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    You must surely have been on a plane or boat since 1988?
    No. Don't go abroad or fly within UK. Used to ride a motorbike all the time, as well as driving cars. Still own both.

Anyway. What's 1988 got to do with it?

I've actually flown quite a bit, but only on military aircraft. I doubt there's a record of my flights, nor of why I may or may not have been abroad with the military. It was a long, long time ago and I was never actually in the forces, although I am a several times qualified military marksman with considerable armed and unarmed combat training. Figure that out! (no, not TA)

I'm Martin.

1988 - thirty years ago.

Re the military: you were a contractor, I'd guess. I used to have the contracts for BTP and the Army and could have gone on all sorts of beanos with them but I never did. No idea how you can get an marksman badge without being in the forces though.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Grant.

Civsecops. I don't fly now. Have done but prefer boats. There is something civilised about it. Was on a train recently. Well 6 years ago lol
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Not used public transport for thirty years or so.
    I used a train last month the first time in about 20 years, simply because for that particular journey it was more practical to do so. I haven't been on a bus in about 25 years, and planes only occasionally, the last time being last year when Del and I flew to Austria to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary.

No, when possible, I like to drive (abroad, too), primarily because I like the freedom of being able to go where I want, when I want, without my movements being controlled by a timetable. I also hate any form of queues with a passion, the inconvenience of delays, which frustrate me beyond belief, and having to mix with the 'great unwashed'... But also because using a car allows you to bring things of interest back home and/or transport items much more conveniently and easily.

Basically, I like to be in control of my life, rather than something or someone else controlling it for me. I pretty much insist on that.

In terms of transport, I'm lucky living in an area where the roads are generally quiet and sometimes completely empty, which is the case pretty much anywhere in rural North Wales, so 'traffic chaos' is something I rarely encounter. I work from home too, so the only 'rush hour' I encounter is when the cats run to their food bowls, first thing in the morning, when they want fed!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Never used a cash machine, but I'd keep receipts if I did.
    Ah so youre the person we are all queue behind in the bank. No we dont do that anymore Mr Walpurgis ( its not 1950) Big ear trumpet up eeeeh eeeeh

I'm Martin.

I agree about public transport though. I understand why people use cars even though the roads are clogged to hell. When I first started work, waiting for the bus on a winters evening is something I will never forget. What did Thatcher say?...If youre still getting the bus at 26 its a sign of failure...typical Tory comment

Theres never really been any good transport policy. maybe if the ran very frequently with wifi and a hostess service I would be happy to use it. We do have to free the roads up somehow.

Trains are still technically subsidised by taxes but it should all be nationalised and people encouraged to use the train. It should beat driving to Aberdeen but its pricey and I might be sat next to the family from hell

I get on my bike for town trips. all that old bike really costs me is about £15 a year for a chain and rear cassette or a new tyre

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Ah so youre the person we are all queue behind in the bank. No we dont do that anymore Mr Walpurgis ( its not 1950) Big ear trumpet up eeeeh eeeeh
    Pay attention at the back! I said I use the post office. No queues there.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    all that old bike really costs me is about £15 a year for a chain and rear cassette or a new tyre
    Rear cassette a year? Mine lasted nearly 10,000 miles, riding to and from work. Just lubed it regularly.

I'm Grant.

What's a rear cassette
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread