+ Reply to Thread
Page 183 of 540 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185193233283 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,830 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm Geoff.

People that can't pack stuff properly for dispatch.

I received a used wheel trim for my Suzuki car this morning. It arrived in a carrier bag covered in a black bin liner, no cardboard or padding of any kind around it. Miraculously it got here undamaged, but that was sheer luck. I've bought wheel trims in the past and several have been broken in transit even when packed well.

Packing for carriage really is just common sense. Hefty items require some thought obviously. Ever tried packaging a heavy turntable with acrylic lid?

I received a MiniDisc deck in the post one day, rattling about in an oversized thin cardboard box and no padding around it. By pure providence, that too survived. But I have had several items damaged due to poor packaging, last one was a Lenco GL75 that was pretty comprehensively trashed.

It's not bloody rocket science! Get it right!!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Martin.

Young bloke on Mastermind just, didn't know who commanded the Dambusters.

Bloke on Eggheads the other day, history teacher, was unfamiliar with the word 'Matchlock.'

Some connection?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

Bloke on Eggheads the other day, history teacher, was unfamiliar with the word 'Matchlock.'

Some connection?
    Dunno.

Was the first Guy Gibson?

The second was a forerunner to the flintlock.

No. I haven't Googled.
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm joe.

Some connection?
    Dunno. Were they father and son maybe?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Dunno. Were they father and son maybe?
    Teacher and pupil. Was my inference. But you knew that.

I was obliquely making the wider gripe that History does not appear to be taught much, or well, in schools today and it's a shame. I'm not basing that opinion on this one bit of evidence mind.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Gary.

Black socks, which when you take them off have semi disintegrated and leave black fluff everywhere your bare feet walk...

bastards!

I'm Grant.

wums
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Black socks, which when you take them off have semi disintegrated and leave black fluff everywhere your bare feet walk...

bastards!
    ok if youve a black carpet
    Regards,

FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm joe.

Teacher and pupil. Was my inference. But you knew that.

I was obliquely making the wider gripe that History does not appear to be taught much, or well, in schools today and it's a shame. I'm not basing that opinion on this one bit of evidence mind.
    I'd have known what a matchlock was, but the dambusters questions would have had me stumped. Even in my day, we were taught some periods of history exhaustively, and others not at all. I'm OK on the 18th/19th centuries, but ask me a question about the 100 Years War and, unless the answer is Agincourt, I'd be at a loss.

I don't watch Mastermind, but do sometimes look in on University Challenge. I'm fine on literature and classical music, but anything science-y and it's down to lucky guesses.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I'd have known what a matchlock was, but the dambusters questions would have had me stumped. Even in my day, we were taught some periods of history exhaustively, and others not at all. I'm OK on the 18th/19th centuries, but ask me a question about the 100 Years War and, unless the answer is Agincourt, I'd be at a loss.

I don't watch Mastermind, but do sometimes look in on University Challenge. I'm fine on literature and classical music, but anything science-y and it's down to lucky guesses.
    Being a ww2 film buff and to a point, history of main points of the 1939/45 conflict with Germany, know all about Guy Gibson. Dad knew him a bit in war. Flintlocks and matchlocks i knew about probably more so because of timeteam
    Regards,

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

+ Reply to Thread