+ Reply to Thread
Page 105 of 540 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Adam,

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    Whilst I see where you're coming from, if the inside lane of the motorway is travelling at 50-ish mph due to lorries, then what they are doing is correct as the slip road is intended for them to match the speed of the traffic on the motorway. Those people who plough onto the motorway and then cut straight across to the second or third lane are usually simply being agressive. You can usually spot them a mile off by the 'Audi' badge on their car, though!
    I fully agree. However, I'm talking about when the traffic is flowing freely, yet some selfish ditherer still insists on joining the motorway 20mph slower than everyone else, bar the trucks in the inside lane, impeding my progress in the process, simply because all they want to do is join the slow lane and sit there for the duration of their journey!

When permitted by the cars in front of me, and providing that the traffic on the motorway is flowing freely, I use the acceleration lane/slip road to increase my speed up to around 80mph, thus joining the motorway in a position that enables me, traffic permitting, to effortlessly 'glide', as quickly and as safely as possible, into the lane of my choice (the 'fast lane'), and in a way that causes no-one else already on the motorway to brake or change course.

If the flow of traffic prevents me from doing that, then I take one lane at a time and slowly edge myself out onto the fast lane. However, I resent being prevented from doing the former as a result of some dithering imbecile in front of me, who is rather selfishly unconcerned about the speed of anyone else's progress other than his own!

My pet hate with this situation is the people who come down the slip road, don't look in their mirrors and completely ignore you who are already on the motorway, thus expecting YOU to move out of THEIR way!
    Yes, I also hate that. When I'm in that position, I always give way to the traffic entering from the slip road, but more often than not I've read the situation ages back and have gotten well out of the way in advance, thus impeding neither their progress nor my own. I always like to prepare myself for what's happening both in front of and behind me (in that respect, I'm constantly looking in the rear view mirror).

Quite simply, being vigilant and showing some courtesy towards other road users, prevents accidents!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    I actually agree that ditherers cause problems, but IMO not nearly as many as the impatient and aggressive drivers.
    I do agree, however dithering/indecisive drivers can be just as bad, and much if it stems from a lack of confidence, especially when it comes to motorway driving. Quite simply, if you're so nervous and/or have such a lack of confidence, then you shouldn't be out on the road in the first place.

I know women, for example, who are 'too scared' to use motorways (and thus avoid them like the plague, causing themselves untold inconvenience in the progress), yet have been driving for over 20 years!

What's that muppetry about?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

My mother passed her test in 1978 and has never driven on a motorway. She doesn't like dual carriagways much either. In fact she won't actually drive more than a couple of miles from her house which does defeat the whole purpose of the exercise somewhat....
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Adam.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Yes, I also hate that. When I'm in that position, I always give way to the traffic entering from the slip road, but more often than not I've read the situation ages back and have gotten well out of the way in advance, thus impeding neither their progress nor my own. I always like to prepare myself for what's happening both in front of me and behind me (in that respect, I'm constantly looking in the rear view mirror).
    I completely agree and this is the route I generally take. However when the motorway is crowded, there's something behind you and something in the middle lane that means you can't easily either slow down or move out of their way then there's not much option but to take them on!
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm Geoff.

My pet hate with this situation is the people who come down the slip road, don't look in their mirrors and completely ignore you who are already on the motorway, thus expecting YOU to move out of THEIR way!
    Yeah. What is that all about. Are people really too stupid to realise that joining vehicles don't have priority over traffic on the main carriageway?
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post

Yes, I also hate that. When I'm in that position, I always give way to the traffic entering from the slip road,

Marco.
    I completely agree and this is the route I generally take. However when the motorway is crowded, there's something behind you and something in the middle lane that means you can't easily either slow down or move out of their way then there's not much option but to take them on!
    Wrong, wrong, wrong! You shouldn't "give way" to traffic on the slip road, that is their responsibility. Anticipate, yes, move over if it is safe, yes, adjust your speed SLIGHTLY, yes, but not give way! Otherwise you can end up with the stupid and dangerous situation where the driver on the motorway slows, the driver on the slip road (who actually knows the rules, and the danger of assuming) also slows and all the cars behind BOTH of them risk running into them and causing a major incident. The give way line is there for a reason!
    ABD.

I'm Richard.

Sadly, now that I have a small and boring car, I sometimes have to do this to avoid an accident but it was amazing how coming up against a big green Range Rover that wasn't budging used to make them see the error of their ways..
    Lol! I used to commute on a motorbike and had lots of aggressive driving, but it was fun when I drove the big old Merc camper van. The same people, if they tried it on, had to deal with ME!
    ABD.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Yeah. What is that all about. Are people really too stupid to realise that joining vehicles don't have priority over traffic on the main carriageway?
    Yes.
    ABD.

I'm Richard.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    My mother passed her test in 1978 and has never driven on a motorway. She doesn't like dual carriagways much either. In fact she won't actually drive more than a couple of miles from her house which does defeat the whole purpose of the exercise somewhat....
    A DSA survey a few years ago found that 26% of qualified drivers were scared of motorway driving. (The other 74% drove Audis and BMWs. )
    The proposed changes to allow learners onto motorways with an ADI are well overdue, IMO. Here in Plymouth we are quite lucky, as the A38 is almost a motorway, with tractors, bicycles and T junctions! At 70mph. And all driving tests include joining and leaving.
    ABD.

Quote Originally Posted by awkwardbydesign View Post
    Wrong, wrong, wrong! You shouldn't "give way" to traffic on the slip road, that is their responsibility.
    Yes I know, but I do it out of courtesy, as I know how pissed off I am when I'm in their position, getting nearly to the end of the slip road/acceleration lane, and running out of road, whilst the inconsiderate buggers on the inside lane of the motorway refuse to budge over and let me in!!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread