+ Reply to Thread
Page 388 of 540 FirstFirst ... 288338378386387388389390398438488 ... LastLast
Results 3,871 to 3,880 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm Martin.

I've never worked for a small company so I don't know what that's like. Smallest company I was ever at was 75 employees and that grew to about about 500 people after just a few months.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Graham.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    We had an episode in our office of women running electric heaters under their desks. So many took to this that it was overloading the electrical system! The company had to ban these small space heaters, and even after that, had to go and remove them by force! The receptacles under the desks were on the same circuits as the computer and network systems, causing all kinds of havoc. The thermostats were locked, set at a company approved temp, which I never had any issue with. Seemed a bit ridiculous to me, here they are paying to air condition the building, and they are running heaters at the same time?

Russell
    In the UK (and elsewhere in western Europe) central air conditioning systems are designed to operate effectively when the ambient temperature is between +10C and +28C. I don't know who devised those parameters but they are "written." When the ambient is outside those figures, as it is this summer in most places, especially London, the air-con systems just don't cope, and people start to open windows, which makes it even worse. In the southern hemisphere cities such as Sydney, LA, Cape Town, Rio, systems are designed to operate with an ambient between +10C and +30C. In Scandinavia it's between -10C and +25C. I predict that in future, new installations in Europe will have to have different design specifications compared to those in use now.
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Russell.

I think most people have this image of big business, being run by well educated, very intelligent people who study the data, and do research to arrive at the best decisions and steer their companies in the right direction. But in my experience nothing could be farther from the truth!

Most companies I’ve seen are run by spoiled brats who have Ivy League educations paid for by their parents and fly by the seat of their pants, operating on whims and personal hunches. They are wrong more often than right, expend an excessive amount of company resources on themselves, and if it wasn’t for the hard working men and women at the bottom getting the job done the company would fold. And then, come review time, “there’s just no money in the budget for raises this year”, even if the company experienced record growth. They wouldn’t look out of their office door to see who is actually doing the work, but take their immediate subordinate’s word for what’s going on and who’s doing the work, even if they know they are being lied to. Not their job, can’t be bothered, too busy trying to set up a T time with the president of some other company.

You hear about it every day, some big company has gone out of business or gone bankrupt, or bought up cheap by some larger company. How could this happen? They were a big successful company? Poor management, is usually the answer.

Russ

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I've never worked for a small company so I don't know what that's like. Smallest company I was ever at was 75 employees and that grew to about about 500 people after just a few months.
    Small or medium sized companies, mate. Even with 500 people, there's no excuse for a switched on and conscientious owner not to properly consider the welfare of his or her staff, and care about what's happening 'on the shop floor'.

I'm afraid that I'm one of those people who's always put 100% effort into everything I've done, and looked after those who worked for me, especially when I was running my own small business, so simply can't understand why anyone else wouldn't do the same

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I think most people have this image of big business, being run by well educated, very intelligent people who study the data, and do research to arrive at the best decisions and steer their companies in the right direction. But in my experience nothing could be farther from the truth!

Most companies I’ve seen are run by spoiled brats who have Ivy League educations paid for by their parents and fly by the seat of their pants, operating on whims and personal hunches. They are wrong more often than right, expend an excessive amount of company resources on themselves, and if it wasn’t for the hard working men and women at the bottom getting the job done the company would fold. And then, come review time, “there’s just no money in the budget for raises this year”, even if the company experienced record growth. They wouldn’t look out of their office door to see who is actually doing the work, but take their immediate subordinate’s word for what’s going on and who’s doing the work, even if they know they are being lied to. Not their job, can’t be bothered, too busy trying to set up a T time with the president of some other company.

You hear about it every day, some big company has gone out of business or gone bankrupt, or bought up cheap by some larger company. How could this happen? They were a big successful company? Poor management, is usually the answer.

Russ
    Spot on, Russ! If there's one thing that rips my knitting in business, it's gross ineptitude, especially those who've somehow managed to 'engineer' themselves into positions of authority, when they simply don't have the skills necessary to be there!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Spot on, Russ! If there's one thing that rips my knitting in business, it's gross ineptitude, especially those who've somehow managed to 'engineer' themselves into positions of authority, when they simply don't have the skills necessary to be there!

Marco.
    As the manager of the desk top computers, I was the one who worked on the executive computers. I got a first person view of how they conducted business, and frankly, many were complete idiots! Executive VP of purchasing for a $4.5 Billion dollar company, I could not for the life of me teach him to check his own email. But his secretary was damn HOT! Not that it gives him a pass. I could go on for hours on all of the mind bending episodes of ineptitude in the higher echelons of that company. And the millions of dollars that were squandered on failed projects that were so stupid from the start everyone involved knew it was doomed to failure before it ever began, and no one was man enough to tell the exec how stupid it was. And on the occasions I did speak up, I was labeled a nay sayer.

I’ve often thought like you Marco, if I were in charge I could have out performed any other competing company by simply using some simple common sense! And not being too smug to ask the experts what they think. Why hire experts if you don’t even ask them what they think? I’ve been out of corporate life for 13 years, and it still gets me riled every time I think back on it. While I was the very best at what I did, I was obviously not cut out for office work.

Russ

I'm Martin.

I’ve often thought like you Marco, if I were in charge I could have out performed any other competing company by simply using some simple common sense!
    That does work especially in the B2B sector. Word soon gets about and you get swamped with business. There's only a few companies in any sector doing it right and they act like magnets.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Pet hates? When you try to open a bottle of wine only to find the cork is bad and crumbles as the corkscrew is inserted. Just made a complete dog's dinner trying to remove a cork of a 2008 Haut-Medoc. Regardles of whether a hollow corkscrew was used, or a solid-core jacking style corkskrew was used, all that happend was bits of cork crumbled off the cork. Eventually the remains of the cork could be pushed into the bottle, so the wine could be decanted (with difficulty) into a jug, filtered (twice) and then re-decanted into a clean bottle.

I shall be complaining to my vintner!
    Barry

I'm Grant.

The gas ones are good for those corks
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm James.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Pet hates? When you try to open a bottle of wine only to find the cork is bad and crumbles as the corkscrew is inserted. Just made a complete dog's dinner trying to remove a cork of a 2008 Haut-Medoc. Regardles of whether a hollow corkscrew was used, or a solid-core jacking style corkskrew was used, all that happend was bits of cork crumbled off the cork. Eventually the remains of the cork could be pushed into the bottle, so the wine could be decanted (with difficulty) into a jug, filtered (twice) and then re-decanted into a clean bottle.

I shall be complaining to my vintner!
    I had trouble with a cork on a bottle of fizz a while ago, I pulled and pulled and tugged and tugged and the bulbous bit on the end came off in my hand
    novafidelity x40 music server/pre/dac, Arcam A39, roksan k3 power amp,Monitor Audio Monitor 50, Dali spektor 1, van damme interconnects and speaker cable, roskan k3 CD player

+ Reply to Thread