+ Reply to Thread
Page 387 of 540 FirstFirst ... 287337377385386387388389397437487 ... LastLast
Results 3,861 to 3,870 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Indeed... However, I just don't get the mentality, which I'm almost certain will be counterproductive (and cost companies) in the long term, with folk being off ill, taking deliberate 'sickies', etc, simply to avoid working in crap conditions.

If I were an employer, I'd want to ensure that the conditions my staff were working in were comfortable, simply to keep them motivated and ensure maximum attendance and productivity. For me, it just seems the sensible thing to do, and which in the long term will pay dividends.

There's nothing worse than getting up in the morning and dreading going into work, so as a responsible employer, I'd seek to reduce that feeling and make things as pleasant as possible. I just believe that we should all make the time we have on this earth as happy and fulfilling as we can.

Maybe I'm just too sensible and nice?

Marco.
    No Marco I agree with you 100%. And this applies everywhere. I will always go that 'extra mile' for a customer who looks after me and values what I'm doing. And I've always had my own little theory: Nice customers have friends, who listen to their opinions, and this is where your future work may be coming from. Shit customers don't.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I certainly sign up to the theory that nice people attract nice people, and that nice people tend to have real friends and successful relationships, as experience bears it out.

As an employer, I'd just feel happier that my staff liked and respected me, rather than resented me, even though they may not show that openly, as I believe that in the long run that approach will be more successful than the opposite.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Lol... You're right about the crap telly!

However, in the UK I just think folk are too willing to be put upon by their employers, and just 'accept' crap, because no-one wants to rock the boat... Well, sometimes you need to stand up for yourself and say 'No more!', and if the boat needs rocked, give it a bloody good shove!!!

Marco.
    I imagine 'standing up for yourself' has become a lot harder since Maggie broke the unions. Once all-powerful, these days they seem to do little more than send out a quarterly magazine full of adverts for funeral plans with member discounts.

I have on occasion walked off a job when someone or something has pissed me off, but even in my temper I was aware that I had some power there, that I would be needed back. I do feel sorry for those who for whatever reason do not consider themselves valuable enough to the company to risk 'rocking the boat'. That feeling of worthlessness also is often the mark of a shit employer.

You seem to have a bit of a business brain, and sound like the kind of employer everyone would want. There seems at the moment to be a big market for quality beds and mattresses. If you could move into this field, I'll come and work for you, and I'll be the best damn mattress-tester you've ever seen.

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

Lol - I'll bear it mind, but suspected you might like to get into something more toilet related

An arse-roll tester, perhaps?

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

IME it isn't usually company policy to treat employees like shit, it's almost always down to over-zealous supervisors and junior managers. The sort who have got the promotion despite being a bit thick, or perhaps because of it.

Never needed any union help, just take them to one side and have a quiet word, Easier if it is a bloke of course. Usually they get the message and back off. If not then they get a load of continuous grief until they do back off or they start going off sick. Or leave. Never fails.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    IME it isn't usually company policy to treat employees like shit, it's almost always down to over-zealous supervisors and junior managers. The sort who have got the promotion despite being a bit thick, or perhaps because of it.

Never needed any union help, just take them to one side and have a quiet word, Easier if it is a bloke of course. Usually they get the message and back off. If not then they get a load of continuous grief until they do back off or they start going off sick. Or leave. Never fails.
    Of course, I'd overlooked that, that many (most) companies aren't just a boss and some employees, there is a management structure complicating things. You seem to have a handle on this though, perhaps you could write a book which Ladybird might then publish. 50 pages of taking no shit.

T'other system:

A/V:

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    I get that, but my view is that whoever is at the top of the tree should always have a handle of what's happening on 'the shop floor', and fix things that need fixing - that is if he or she *really* cares about their company and the welfare of their staff.

There's simply no excuse to take a blind eye, just because you consider yourself as 'too big/important' to bother about what the minions are doing.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Steve.

Lol - I'll bear it mind, but suspected you might like to get into something more toilet related

An arse-roll tester, perhaps?

Marco.
    Hmm, I used to work for Andrex, but left under a cloud. They found out that I'd been feeding laxatives to the Andrex puppy, and posting my own "advert" on You Tube. Cost them a fortune, as filming their own advertising was delayed by a week. Andrex aren't big on toilet humour.

T'other system:

A/V:

I'm Martin.

I get that, but my view is that whoever is at the top of the tree should always have a handle of what's happening on 'the shop floor', and fix things that need fixing - that is if he or she *really* cares about their company and the welfare of their staff.

There's simply no excuse to take a blind eye, just because you consider yourself as 'too big/important' to bother about what the minions are doing.

Marco.
    Depends how big the operation is but IME the practical realities mean that the 'big bosses' do not have the time to spend on the shop floor listening to the concerns of the troops. And on the odd occasion they do the meeting will be dominated by people with petty issues that have no real solution and the whole thing becomes a waste of time.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

Yes, often 'too busy' lying on a beach somewhere sipping cocktails!

I know, it depends on the size of the business. Obviously if you're talking about huge multi-national corporations, then I take your point, but otherwise with most small to medium-sized businesses there's no excuse for the boss not to take a proper interest in his or her staff and what's happening at ground roots level.

I'd certainly by my approach if I were running such a company now, because I know that it would ultimately reward me.

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread