+ Reply to Thread
Page 386 of 540 FirstFirst ... 286336376384385386387388396436486 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,860 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I think there were two menopausal women rather than one, so Macca was in the minority. Plus, of course, if it's too cold you can always add clothes, but if you're too hot there's a limit to how many clothes you can remove and remain decent.
    Two out of how many others working in the same office, with normal functioning metabolisms? I suspect they'd have been in the minority!

The point is, the "I'm all right Jack, fuck you" mentality is rife these days, and big part of what is wrong with modern society. All anyone cares about now is looking after No1, and anyone else outside of their insular little world doesn't exist/matter...

I refuse to put up with it.

As for your second point, perhaps they (the menopausal old bints) should've dressed more appropriately, to cope with their condition, so that they could function in the same environment as everyone else? Or take a battery-operated fan into work.

Anyway, my point is clear: when you're working with other people in a confined space, *always* think about their comfort, not just yours.

But office temperatures are a notorious flashpoint. Where I used to work, there was a rudimentary airconditioning system. Unfortunately, when it was switched on it was, for some people, distractingly noisy, to the extent that they preferred the heat to the noise. For those sat further away from the aircon unit, the reverse was true. So the caretaker got a bollocking from one or other group depending on whether he switched the unit on or not. Fortunately, he was a carefree soul, who would just smile and agree with everyone, and ignore what they said. He himself sensibly occupied an office in the post room, and just left the back door open in hot weather.
    ....which takes us back to my previous point, and that employers should be made to ensure that working environments are comfortable and safe for all. Don't just sit there and put up with being treated like shit, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT, and protest to the person that matters!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Russell.

We had an episode in our office of women running electric heaters under their desks. So many took to this that it was overloading the electrical system! The company had to ban these small space heaters, and even after that, had to go and remove them by force! The receptacles under the desks were on the same circuits as the computer and network systems, causing all kinds of havoc. The thermostats were locked, set at a company approved temp, which I never had any issue with. Seemed a bit ridiculous to me, here they are paying to air condition the building, and they are running heaters at the same time?

Russell

Just idiocy and mismanagement, Russell, as so often occurs in such places.

Unfortunately, too many folks these days grow up being 'mollycoddled' by central heating systems, and so have a low resistance to occupying any environment that hasn't been artificially heated to a certain temperature. They need toughening up.

It's no wonder that they're the first ones to catch any colds that are going about!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Martin.

Yes well if youve ever worked in an office you realise how difficult it is to please everyone on heating and ventilation...well you realise what ****s some people are.

You want the window open and somebody else doesnt turns into a real downer. I put up with it when I was younger but I bloody wouldnt now. Its a basic right to feel comfortable at work and so many offices and shops are not designed with staff comfort in mind.

Stingy bosses that wont put air conditioning in

Folks need to rebel against it, mate, not just meekly put up with it. Bosses would get fook all done if every bugger just downed tools and walked out!

We need stronger unions in this country to force tight-wad employers to open their wallets and sort out their heating and air-con systems properly - as well as a host of other things!!

The French or Italians wouldn't put up with it, I can tell you.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Russell.

There was this big thing back in the 90’s about old office buildings with ventilation systems, in the US not many office buildings have windows that open, they depend on air and central heat. But after 30 years or so, the duct works are full of mold and dust, a collection of all the germs the sickly people have been coughing out. So they encouraged them to have a duct cleaning for public health. Well, that went nowhere, and they had to threaten them with legal action to make the tight wads pay for it.

Russell

I'm Steve.

That old bollocks about us living in a civilised society is just that - bollocks. Most companies it seems will do the bare minimum required by law for their employees. And the unspoken message is 'if you can't put up with this shit, you know where the door is'. Not everyone is fantastic at their job, some are merely competent for whatever reason, but they deserve the same consideration as the superstars.

Same thing with Health & Safety legislation, it exists not to keep us safe, it's because everyone is frightened of being sued.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Folks need to rebel against it, mate, not just meekly put up with it. Bosses would get fook all done if every bugger just downed tools and walked out!

We need stronger unions in this country to force tight-wad employers to open their wallets and sort out their heating and air-con systems properly - as well as a host of other things!!

The French or Italians wouldn't put up with it, I can tell you.

Marco.
    They say 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do'. But we're not in Rome. The French and Italians have their own crap to put up with, like having funny accents and driving on the wrong side of the road. And probably shit telly.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    That old bollocks about us living in a civilised society is just that - bollocks. Most companies it seems will do the bare minimum required by law for their employees. And the unspoken message is 'if you can't put up with this shit, you know where the door is'. Not everyone is fantastic at their job, some are merely competent for whatever reason, but they deserve the same consideration as the superstars.

Same thing with Health & Safety legislation, it exists not to keep us safe, it's because everyone is frightened of being sued.
    Indeed... However, I just don't get the mentality, which I'm almost certain will be counterproductive (and cost companies) in the long term, with folk being off ill, taking deliberate 'sickies', etc, simply to avoid working in crap conditions.

If I were an employer, I'd want to ensure that the conditions my staff were working in were comfortable, simply to keep them motivated and ensure maximum attendance and productivity. For me, it just seems the sensible thing to do, and which in the long term will pay dividends.

There's nothing worse than getting up in the morning and dreading going into work, so as a responsible employer, I'd seek to reduce that feeling and make things as pleasant as possible. I just believe that we should all make the time we have on this earth as happy and fulfilling as we can.

Maybe I'm just too sensible and nice?

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    They say 'When in Rome, do as the Romans do'. But we're not in Rome. The French and Italians have their own crap to put up with, like having funny accents and driving on the wrong side of the road. And probably shit telly.
    Lol... You're right about the crap telly!

However, in the UK I just think folk are too willing to be put upon by their employers, and just 'accept' crap, because no-one wants to rock the boat... Well, sometimes you need to stand up for yourself and say 'No more!', and if the boat needs rocked, give it a bloody good shove!!!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread