+ Reply to Thread
Page 299 of 540 FirstFirst ... 199249289297298299300301309349399 ... LastLast
Results 2,981 to 2,990 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If you're referring to ebay and looking at used gear, change the search criteria accordingly, it cuts out a lot of dross. Also, start with items priced highest, there are usually not that many expensive bits to get through before the sensibly priced items come on-screen.
    Good advice Geoff - unfortunately I'm usually looking for the cheapest 'spares or repairs' units hoping to pick up a useful tonearm, mat, platter etc. for 99p so highest price is definitely out!! ;-)

I'm Steve.

Whenever I bid for anything on ebay, I never, ever, EVER win the item. I always get outbid at the last minute. It must be something I'm doing wrong, or failing to do.

Is there anyone on here who can provide some useful tips?
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Whenever I bid for anything on ebay, I never, ever, EVER win the item. I always get outbid at the last minute. It must be something I'm doing wrong, or failing to do.

bid more
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Those that outbid you at the last minute are most likely using 'sniper' software. In fact usually the only way to stand a good chance of winning is to bid at the last minute (actually within the last few seconds of the auction ending). You have to set your limit way above the later bids and just hope you don't have someone bidding a high amount just before you bid.
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

I win what I'm after about 75% of the time.

I never bid early, nor do I bid what might be considered the next increment.

I do my own 'sniping' and bid about seven seconds before the end. That does not leave time for anybody to place another bid unless they use a snipe.

My bid is normally the max I'd want to pay. If it sells for more then I've lost nothing, as it's an item I'd not be interested in at a higher price.

Often, the item sells for less than I've bid anyway, as the winning bid is applied proportionally to the previous bid, so I get it cheaper.

I'm Steve.

Geoff, your last line confused me a bit.

If the bidding has gone to, say, £90 with 7 seconds left, and I bid £100 and win, are you saying that I wouldn't then have to pay £100?

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:

A/V:

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

I'm Grant.

depends on the increments its going up in but it wont be 10 a go.. probably pay £91
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Geoff.

I don't know offhand what percentage above the lower bid is applied, but if the bid before my winning bid was £90 and I'd bid say £150, I'd expect to get the item for about £100.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Geoff, your last line confused me a bit.

If the bidding has gone to, say, £90 with 7 seconds left, and I bid £100 and win, are you saying that I wouldn't then have to pay £100?
    Yes, possibly. The bid you make is your maximum bid. The bid price goes up increments, so if the last bid was £90, ebay may tell you to bid £95. If you have already set up a bid for a maximum amount of £100, then if it turns out that you are the winner with the bid of £95, then that is what you will pay.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

Ah, thanks guys, that makes sense, well explained.

T'other system:

A/V:

+ Reply to Thread