+ Reply to Thread
Page 207 of 540 FirstFirst ... 107157197205206207208209217257307 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,070 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm Russell.

Those rare plugs are a pain in the butt! I'll cut the end off in a heartbeat and put a good end on it. What bugs me is the Mark Levenson preamps that have the power cable input smack in the center of the bottom! What with the popularity of aftermarket power cords, seems like a dumb move. And other than freeing up space on the rear panel, I can't think of a single reason why they would choose to be difficult?

And let's not forget the Camac connector, was it called? While everyone else on the planet was using RCA connectors, Levenson decides to go with proprietary jacks? Another shot to the foot, did we learn nothing from Batamax? But it seems they have gotten over them in recent years. I have come close to making the purchase on a Levenson preamp on more than one occasion, I like everything else about it, but that sticking point about the power plug weighs on my mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    People who think 'they know best'. It really annoys those of us that do.
    He he he, more specifically, people who just cannot accept a difference of opinion.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
    Mana Acoustics Racks / Bright Star IsoNodes Decoupling >> Allo DigiOne Player >> Pedja Rogic's Audial Model S DAC + Pioneer PL-71 turntable / Vista Audio phono-1 mk II / Denon PCL-5 headshell / Reson Reca >> LFD DLS >> LFD PA2M (SE) >> Royd RR3s.

I'm Geoff.

TV car adverts that say something like 'only £279 a month', but fail to mention, 'RRP £27,000, but you will pay £43,000 over five years'. Deliberately misleading!
    It is impossible for anything digital to sound analogue, because it isn't analogue!

I'm Graham.

Dog poop on the pavement!
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    TV car adverts that say something like 'only £279 a month', but fail to mention, 'RRP £27,000, but you will pay £43,000 over five years'. Deliberately misleading!
    Or......only £159 a month and in tiny writing at the bottom of the screen " plus £6000 deposit and one off end of contract payment of £3500 ".
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by GrahamS View Post
    Dog poop on the pavement!
    Whatever happened to white dog poo?
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Those rare plugs are a pain in the butt! I'll cut the end off in a heartbeat and put a good end on it. What bugs me is the Mark Levenson preamps that have the power cable input smack in the center of the bottom! What with the popularity of aftermarket power cords, seems like a dumb move. And other than freeing up space on the rear panel, I can't think of a single reason why they would choose to be difficult?

And let's not forget the Camac connector, was it called? While everyone else on the planet was using RCA connectors, Levenson decides to go with proprietary jacks? Another shot to the foot, did we learn nothing from Batamax? But it seems they have gotten over them in recent years. I have come close to making the purchase on a Levenson preamp on more than one occasion, I like everything else about it, but that sticking point about the power plug weighs on my mind.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Not sure I understand what you mean about Levinson gear having the mains cable in the centre of the bottom (base?)? All of my Levinson gear has the IEC mains connector on the rear panel, usually to one side or the other, with the exception of the ML2s, which have the connector and fuse unit located at the centre of the rear panel. Not that I experiment with after-market mains cables: just use 'kettle' leads, or ones I have assembled.

Understand what you mean about the CAMAC connectors, but they are infinitely preferable IMO to the horrid RCA 'phono' connectors. CAMACs are readily obtainable from Fischer, or from Lemo - but they are expensive. My Levinsons uses them (or XLRs), but then my system also uses just about every audio connector that has been designed!
    Barry

I'm Graham.

and amplifiers that don't have a phono input stage.........
    GrahamS - It's not what you hear that counts, it's what you think you hear........

Present Kit: NAD 326BEE, NAD C515BEE CD player, JVC QL-7 DD turntable, JVC Tonearm, Shure M97Ve, Audio Technica AT95EX, Pickering V15, JVC Z1E, Wharfedale Diamond 230s, Visual Rio interconnects and My Ears.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    Microsoft bought it and closed it down.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian7633 View Post
    Dogs chew on bones much less these days and eat more tinned dog food. That's why you don't see white dog poo.

Talking of which - one of my pet hates is the neighbour's cat defaecating on my lawn. I have to pick it up and walk 200m to the nearest 'dog poo' bin to dispose of it before I can cut the grass!
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread