+ Reply to Thread
Page 358 of 540 FirstFirst ... 258308348356357358359360368408458 ... LastLast
Results 3,571 to 3,580 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Most councils get stuck into using their capital funding about now each year. They have to use it all up to justify getting as much or more the next year.
    Yeah how much was wasted in the Labour years of government must be frightening.

I'm Alan.

Isn't it common sense to use what funds are necessary and then spread whats left to more useful concerns?

Oh hang on I'm shooting myself in the foot here.
    Common sense doesn't exist anymore in politics, plus the 2 opposing party ethos wouldn't allow spending less would it?

I think I've shot myself in both feet.

I'm Ian.

Quote Originally Posted by tapid View Post
    I cycle a lot in Camden and noticed lately some amazing new tarmac on many roads around here. Also, much of it is around poorer council estate areas. I only make this point because
    many often say its only the rich that get looked after in this world, I m of course not trying to make out this is typical of whats happening in uk today just readdressing the balance somewhat. By contrast the other side of
    Hampstead Heath where houses cost umpteen millions the road surface is appalling and is hopeless for cycling. Not sure if thats a different council though. Camden council are very keen on cycling btw.
    Go on Macca get yer bike out !
    Maybe the council's logic is that it's more cost effective to repair the roads in poorer areas to offset claims for damaged wheels etc where as in more affluent areas they all drive around in big 4x4's capable of handling the rough stuff anyway.
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Here in the states, the history they are teaching is quite different from the history we were taught back in the 1970’s. And from what i know of the facts, much of it is twisted way out of wack, and whether what they are teaching is right, or wrong, the people as a whole are starting to have some very strange ideas about how things went down. People on Facebook arguing that the Americans killed 100 million Native Americans? When I confronted one with the facts, their answer was, the facts are not important, it’s the ideals that matter. And now, the history of slavery as believed by a large margin of society is completely inaccurate. Many now believe that Americans simply sailed to Africa and scooped up millions of indigenous people and brought them back to be beaten and raped continuously for hundreds of years. That Americans invented slavery, there were no slaves before the American slaves, and everyone below the Mason Dickson owned a dozen. And that the slaves rose up and freed themselves.
    That sounds familiar. I had someone trying to tell me that the British introduced opium to China and got all the Chinese addicted to it. Obviously prior to the nasty British getting involved China was like some sort of nirvana or Eden.

And this wasn't a Chinese feller telling me this but a British person who clearly hates his own country so much he's prepared to believe any old nonsense he's told about it. He wants to believe. I didn't bother arguing, what's the point?
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Geoff.

People on Facebook arguing that the Americans killed 100 million Native Americans?
    Were there ever that many prior to western colonisation? My recollection is that the population was fairly sparse and widely spread.

I'm Martin.

Were there ever that many prior to western colonisation? My recollection is that the population was fairly sparse and widely spread.
    Any figure will only be broad estimate, no records, but 100 million seems very high. Improbably high.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm John.

Here in the states, the history they are teaching is quite different from the history we were taught back in the 1970’s. And from what i know of the facts, much of it is twisted way out of wack, and whether what they are teaching is right, or wrong, the people as a whole are starting to have some very strange ideas about how things went down. People on Facebook arguing that the Americans killed 100 million Native Americans? When I confronted one with the facts, their answer was, the facts are not important, it’s the ideals that matter. And now, the history of slavery as believed by a large margin of society is completely inaccurate. Many now believe that Americans simply sailed to Africa and scooped up millions of indigenous people and brought them back to be beaten and raped continuously for hundreds of years. That Americans invented slavery, there were no slaves before the American slaves, and everyone below the Mason Dickson owned a dozen. And that the slaves rose up and freed themselves.

And then there are these comedians who are in California who ask random people on a college campus who George Washington was, or Abraham Lincoln, and they flatly have no idea!

People who graduate with a high school diploma have nearly no history, to them the world began in 1776. Nothing happened before then.

And now we’ve got the Flat Earthers, and other groups who’s very understanding is based on lies and falsehoods, and the bashing of Christians for what happened a thousand years ago. If you don’t believe in all of the most recent scientific theories and abandon God you’re an idiot who talks to a make believe man in the Sky. And people who actually believe aliens built the Pyramids, and the Holocaust never happened. We have reached a time when it’s perfectly OK to believe whatever the hell one wants to believe! And you’re an ass if you challenge anyone’s misconceptions. I’ve gotta say, the predictions in the Book of Revelation are coming true before our eyes. But make no mistake, people are twisting history around to meet their own agendas. And to cause trouble. To keep the people as confused and in disagreement amongst themselves so the government can keep stealing all our money in the name of the New World Order.

It’s all very amusing really, I mean, there’s nothing to be done, people believe whatever they want, and the new consensus is we should let them. We should not impose on other’s beliefs no matter how wrong they are, it’s a free country after all.

Russell
    There are significant numbers of people who believe that Europe started the African slave trade. They are completely unaware that Africans were enslaving Africans long before we got involved and long after we abolished it. Still goes on in Africa today.

I agree about modern social justice warriors. Their enraged and ludicrous fanaticism is like nothing I've seen before, or certainly not on the scale we see it today.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Any figure will only be broad estimate, no records, but 100 million seems very high. Improbably high.
    No one knows the population of the whole of the Americas Wildly different estimates. But by the sailing of the mayflower there was probably 6/8 million. Might be added that 90% died of disease due to things like smallpox
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    That sounds familiar. I had someone trying to tell me that the British introduced opium to China and got all the Chinese addicted to it. Obviously prior to the nasty British getting involved China was like some sort of nirvana or Eden.

And this wasn't a Chinese feller telling me this but a British person who clearly hates his own country so much he's prepared to believe any old nonsense he's told about it. He wants to believe. I didn't bother arguing, what's the point?
    Yes, the way some people bleat on you d think without colonisation every country in the world would have enjoyed a glorious and beautiful history. Don't think so !

I'm Russell.

The population of North America didn’t reach 100 million until the 1930’s! And look at the density of population at that time, with many cities having more than a million residence. The height of the Mayan and Aztec civilizations were before they ever saw a white man, their cultures were already on the decline when the Spanish first came to South America, and diseases like Smallpox killed the majority of all Native Americans before they ever knew a white man existed. But the consensus on this Native American Facebook Group is that white people purposely spread these diseases to kill them off, funny that no one knew what a germ was or how they spread, and believed illness was God’s punishment in those days. By the time England and France started to colonize the mainland of North America, indigenous people were very few. And while we did war with Western waring tribes like the Cherokee, most of the eastern, and even West Coast Indians were assimilated into white society. They are bread into most Americans, including myself, my grandmother was an Indian, and my great grandmother was an Indian.

I’ve thought recently that if everyone had one of these DNA tests to tell who our ancestors were, especially here in America, everyone would be shocked to find out that we are all a little Indian, black, white, Latino, and even oriental.

Russell

+ Reply to Thread