+ Reply to Thread
Page 361 of 540 FirstFirst ... 261311351359360361362363371411461 ... LastLast
Results 3,601 to 3,610 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Not washing it away just viewing it in context and without the histrionics. History is about understanding the past and finding the truth.
    'Finding the truth' is the tricky bit, especially when it's the victors who write the history.

Looking back into my distant schooldays, whether because the majority of our teachers were Irish Catholics, or for some other reason, there was no glossing over the misdeeds and follies of the British Empire. If anything, the emphasis was on the British as being the villains of the piece as often as not, eg in the African slave trade, the Irish potato famine, and the Crimean War. Mind you, history came to a full stop in 1914, not a minute too soon as far as we were concerned.

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    But surely it's right to reject God/established religions
    If I spoke my thoughts on 'misguided imaginings' it would probably ruffle many feathers. I'll leave it there!

I'm Martin.

'Finding the truth' is the tricky bit, especially when it's the victors who write the history.

That's the challenge that makes history an interesting subject. Well, for me, anyway. I agree in a lot of cases, especially the further back you go, it starts to become impossible to be certain. Although one of the most important lessons of history is that whilst times change, people don't and their actions are governed by the same basic drives that they always were.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    If I spoke my thoughts on 'misguided imaginings' it would probably ruffle many feathers. I'll leave it there!
    Well I'm sure we've all heard the atheist schtick before. I'll refer you to Voltaire. 'If God did not exist it would be necessary for man to invent him.'
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Russell.

I read some comments on a news article the other day with many on both sides arguing that to believe in God you must reject science, and to believe in the “Truth”, of science you cannot believe in a God. Only one person said, “why must they be mutually exclusive?”.

Personally I don’t understand the reasoning why you must reject God to believe in science? Everyone leans on the Genesis story of the universe being created in 6 days. Well the story is told from God’s point of view, and on the first day, he created the heavens and the earth, so, if there was no earth when that day started, then it obviously is not talking about our earth centric 24 hour days. Knowing we can see 13 billion years out into space kinda proves that’s not talking about the average earth week.

I agree that religion is a construct of Man, but just because man has twisted religion around to control others and get rich, is no real proof that God doesn’t exist. The Bible constantly warns against false doctrine and false profits, etc.

Personally I don’t believe in God because my parents raised me in the church, or because I need to believe in a higher power or need God to explain all the things that science can’t. I believe in God because of personal experiences, religious experiences that have proven to me that God and Jesus are real. I understand that without these experiences I too would probably be very skeptical, and often wonder why others have not had religious experiences of their own? Or perhaps they have, and choose not to believe they were real? It really is puzzling to me. I don’t go around preaching because I don’t expect my personal experiences to convince anyone else, they were meant for me and me alone. And I certainly don’t think I’m better than anyone else because I believe and they don’t. Some may think it’s their calling to convert everyone they meet, but I am sure that’s not my calling. To each their own, surely everyone on earth has heard of Jesus by now? After that, it’s up to each to make up their own minds. I don’t belong to any church, and I don’t knock those that do. And I fully understand why many none Christians don’t like Christians because of those who have a “Holier than Thou”, attitude. Which is exactly what Jesus said not to do! Which goes back to that Golden Rule, which many preach, but fail to follow.

Russell

I'm joe.

Jeeves said : "'I wonder if I might draw your attention to an observation of the Emperor Marcus Aurelius? He said "Does anything befall you? It is good. It is part of the destiny of the universe ordained for you from the beginning. All that befalls you is part of the great web.'"

I breathed a bit stertorously. 'He said that, did he?'

'Yes, sir.'

'Well, you can tell him from me he's an ass.'"

I'm Russell.

Interesting quote Joe, what’s that from?

Ok, I’m done. I’ve voiced all my opinions and bared my soul before all of AOS! You can have your thread back. Just needed to get it all off my chest I guess? As I said, there’s no other place I could have said all that without causing a shit storm. So I’m over it, time to lighten up a bit.....

Is it just me? Or does it seem that no matter what minute of the hour I change the channel on cable TV, the channel I’m switching to will be on commercial? Every single time! What’s up with that?

Russell

I'm John.

Jeeves said : "'I wonder if I might draw your attention to an observation of the Emperor Marcus Aurelius? He said "Does anything befall you? It is good. It is part of the destiny of the universe ordained for you from the beginning. All that befalls you is part of the great web.'"

I breathed a bit stertorously. 'He said that, did he?'

'Yes, sir.'

'Well, you can tell him from me he's an ass.'"
    Have you ever read Voltaire's book based on the same theme as that quote?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm joe.

Quote Originally Posted by Crackles View Post
    Have you ever read Voltaire's book based on the same theme as that quote?
    To be candide, non.

I'm John.

To be candide, non.
    I see what you did there. He was taking the piss out of the popular philosophy (at the time) that all's well that ends well. It's quite amusing.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread