+ Reply to Thread
Page 377 of 540 FirstFirst ... 277327367375376377378379387427477 ... LastLast
Results 3,761 to 3,770 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Pigmy Pony View Post
    Hi Marco, is that a bottle of hand cleanser in your pocket, or are you just pleased to see me?

Nothing wrong with high standards, I consider my own to be reasonable, although compared to Mrs. P I would seem a total slob.

Sometimes I get a gift from a customer, and if it's something sealed and new, she's fine, but if I brought home-made cakes or jam or marmalade into the house, or other food items which are not factory sealed, she wouldn't touch them with a barge pole (more for me!)

I went to a barbecue a couple of summers ago, and while the host was flipping the burgers, his wife was shovelling dog shit off the patio flags. That fell short of my standards, although I still had a couple of burgers. Missus wouldn't eat anything, and we didn't stay long.

I don't know whether any studies have shown that high standards of hygiene could escalate into a germ-phobia, but that would be bad. For anyone with a hygiene obsession, the world would seem a pretty hostile place.

Taking your own hand cleanser everywhere with you, might be the point where hygiene becomes an obsession!
    Lol yeah, it's not a matter of being obsessive, as that's not good, but rather simply ensuring an adequate standard of hygiene. We don't mind a little bit of dust and dirt here and there [and we don't bleach our house to buggery, like some folk], but we insist on a reasonable level of tidiness and cleanliness, especially in kitchens and bathrooms.

Remember the discussion we had recently about chopping boards, and using separate ones for meat, fish and veg?

Well, in the bathroom, one of the quickest ways of catching someone else's germs is to wipe your hands on the same towel they've used... There's a good reason why I'm hardly ever ill or catch colds!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Hi Russell,

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    Showering at work could be due to the kind of work you do. Factory workers who work around chemicals may be required to shower before leaving. I worked at an office of a grocery distributor, sounds ordinary enough, but it’s a company that runs 24 hours a day. When problems arose we may have been required to stay as long as it takes to get things running again. Personally I never stopped to shower on a two day crisis, but I don’t sweat much.

Then there was the exercise club, they built a gym in the warehouse you could join, with all the latest exercise machines, weights and aerobics classes, it was pretty much expected for one to shower before returning to work.
    All that's cool, although not something I've personally experienced or would desire myself. Outside of washing my hands in the sink, after having used the toilet, I'd never dream of washing myself at work, least of all for reasons of economy.

I can't believe Martin was serious when he wrote that. When I'm washing myself, I like to be in my own environment, surrounded by all the creature comforts I've become accustomed to! Here are some pics we took of our bathroom when we were doing it up:

View from the bog seat [when 'pressing one out' ]...

'Bin lid-sized' stainless-steel shower head:

Nice large roll-top enamel bath:

So, I'm sorry, I wouldn't thank you for performing my ablutions in some manky, sub-standard works toilet I have certain standards

When I worked for various companies (largely sales organisations), I liked to arrive at work freshly showered and in clean clothes, and stay that way until the end of the day. The thought of cycling to work, and arriving there all hot and sweaty, so that I'd need to shower when I got there, doesn't exactly fill me with joy!

But I’m like you Marco, I much prefer my own bathroom and shower. While my house may not be the pantheon of cleanliness, I keep the bathroom spotless.
    Indeed.... Having a house that's a "pantheon of cleanliness" is usually the domain of obsessive/compulsives, or folk who don't have a life! So no, a cleanliness obsession is just as unhealthy as any other obsession, but as you say, when something needs to be clean, it's clean!

There's a healthy balance to everything in life. But even if I were a single guy, I still couldn't live in a midden, as some do. It'd really get me down.

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Hi Russell,

All that's cool, although not something I've personally experienced or would desire myself. Outside of washing my hands in the sink, after having used the toilet, I'd never dream of washing myself at work, least of all for reasons of economy.

I can't believe Martin was serious when he wrote that. When I'm washing I like to be in my own environment, surrounded by all the creature comforts I've become accustomed to! Here are some pics we took of our bathroom when we were doing it up:

View from the bog seat [when 'pressing one out' ]...

'Bin lid-sized' stainless-steel shower head:

Nice large roll-top enamel bath:

So, I'm sorry, I wouldn't thank you for performing my ablutions in some manky, sub-standard works toilet I have certain standards

When I worked for various companies (largely sales organisations), I liked to arrive at work freshly showered and in clean clothes, and stay that way until the end of the day. The thought of cycling to work, and arriving there all hot and sweaty, so that I'd need to shower when I got there, doesn't exactly fill me with joy!

Indeed.... Having a house that's a "pantheon of cleanliness" is usually the domain of obsessive/compulsives, or folk who don't have a life! So no, a cleanliness obsession is just as unhealthy as any other obsession, but as you say, when something needs to be clean, it's clean!

There's a healthy balance to everything in life. But even if I were a single guy, I still couldn't live in a midden, as some do. It'd really get me down.

Marco.
    You’ve got a classy looking bathroom there! Having such things makes you want to keep them clean and neat.

Russell

I'm Steve.

Is that the door you recently "done up"? Goes very well with an already classy space.

Couple of questions: had you recently had visitors? Cos someone's nicked all your towels! And do you normally leave the door ajar when laying logs? Is this so "the help" can wipe yer botty afterwards? And that plant on the windowsill looks a bit unhappy but I suppose it has a lot to put up with.

I do wonder though sometimes if the world we live in (first world) can be getting a little too sanitised. When my grandson was little his mother took those antibacterial wipes everywhere with her, probably persuaded by the horrors of the adverts by Dettol. Although Archie's health is as robust as anyone's I wonder if it has more to do with genetics or diet/lifestyle, leading to a better immune system.

And taken to the extreme, I also wonder if completely removing children's exposure to germs may set them up for a sickly adulthood.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm John.

When my son was younger I used to take anti-bacterial gel everywhere because he was always picking up all sorts of crap and messing with everything.

I'm a bit of a germophobe like Marco. I hate touching toilet door handles (I use my sleeve) or anything that contains other people's arse germs.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Steve.

I personally don't see anything wrong with using the wash facilities at work or wherever, providing they are of a standard acceptable to you. Not all company wash rooms are shitholes. Free up money for the fun things!

I once saw this C5 benefits programme about people who used to have good jobs but had fallen on hard times. One of these people, a young woman, had the bright idea of using her local gym for her ablutions. Membership was only £12 per month (she had off peak membership as she could go whenever she wanted). Every day she would go to train or swim, and shower there afterwards. All for a cost of 40p per day.

Hopefully that kind of lateral thinking would have landed her a good job by now.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm joe.

And taken to the extreme, I also wonder if completely removing children's exposure to germs may set them up for a sickly adulthood.
    When I was a nipper, our doctor would let his two toddler children crawl around the floor of his waiting room (his surgery was basically his house. and the waiting room was a converted sitting-room). When one woman asked if he wasn't afraid that his children would catch something, he said 'That's the point; I want them to catch something while they're young, to build up their immunity'. These days, when everything's sanitised to buggery, there's loads more nesh people around who are 'allergic' or 'intolerant' to certain things, and 'can't eat' certain foodstuffs. A bit of crawling round in the dirt when they were small would have done them the world of good.

Quote Originally Posted by alphaGT View Post
    You’ve got a classy looking bathroom there! Having such things makes you want to keep them clean and neat.
    Yeah, Russell, that's a good point. If it looks like a bollox, it's liable to stay like a bollox... Whereas if it's nice, you're more motivated to keep it that way

Marco.
    Main System

Is that the door you recently "done up"? Goes very well with an already classy space.
    One of them, mate. Just adds a bit of colour to the black and white

Couple of questions: had you recently had visitors? Cos someone's nicked all your towels!
    That's funny, and also a very good point! Yeah, we took them all away to make the bastids wipe their hands on their keks!

No...the towels were removed for visual reasons (for the picture), so you could see the heated towel rails properly.

And do you normally leave the door ajar when laying logs? Is this so "the help" can wipe yer botty afterwards? And that plant on the windowsill looks a bit unhappy but I suppose it has a lot to put up with.
    Yeah, it wilted in all the arse-gas!

It's fine - just the type of plant it is. Lol@ "the help", now *that* is an idea As for the door, it's never locked, as there's only Del and I in the house, and after being married for 28 years, neither of us have anything to hide from each other!

I do wonder though sometimes if the world we live in (first world) can be getting a little too sanitised. When my grandson was little his mother took those antibacterial wipes everywhere with her, probably persuaded by the horrors of the adverts by Dettol. Although Archie's health is as robust as anyone's I wonder if it has more to do with genetics or diet/lifestyle, leading to a better immune system.

I think that's a very good and relevant point. I'd argue that the more you obsess over every germ and bit of dirt, and attempt to 'sterilise' your home, the lower your resistance to infection from germs becomes, thus in the process weakening your immune system. Joe's post, above, is spot on.

That's why we keep things reasonably clean, but don't bleach/Dettol the place to buggery!

Marco.
    Main System

Quote Originally Posted by Crackles View Post
    I'm a bit of a germophobe like Marco. I hate touching toilet door handles (I use my sleeve) or anything that contains other people's arse germs.
    Thing is, I don't see that as being a "germophobe", simply taking reasonable precautions to ensure adequate standards of cleanliness. Like Grant, I also use hand gels a lot, when in public places, especially in and out of hospitals, or after I've touched door handles and handrails in shops, pubs, etc.

You wouldn't believe how filthy some of those things/places are, so why contaminate yourself if it can easily be avoided?

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread