Page 352 of 540 FirstFirst ... 252302342350351352353354362402452 ... LastLast
Results 3,511 to 3,520 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm Grant.

he aint heavy, he's my brother
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    Equality will only occur if the less able are 'carried' by the more able. Of course that will never happen.
    That's essentially the situation we have now.

The only problem is the less able want the more able to do more carrying than they already are, and a number of the more able also think we should do more carrying providing it isn't them who actually have to do it.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm John.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post

The only problem is the less able want the more able to do more carrying than they already are, and a number of the more able also think we should do more carrying providing it isn't them who actually have to do it.
    Well put.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I'm Mark.

On the other hand a lot of the 'less able' think they are carrying the 'more able' ! (Depending how you define those labels)

I'm Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Birth control didn't begin in the 1960s. Richer/smarter people have been limiting the size of their families since at least 1900 or so. From one study:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3865739/

'Women who married in England in the 1860s bore an average of more than six children while their granddaughters who married in the 1910s bore fewer than three children, as the national birth-rate moved towards its nadir in 1933.'

Some of these posts sound worryingly like the sort of race-purifying propaganda that emerged in Germany in the 1920s and 30s.
    Nothing sinister going on here Joe.

We're simply shining a light on some sorry facts and having a good old moan about it. It's what we do best.

I doubt the intelligent/stupid ratio has changed much over the years. We mustn't confuse 'stupid' with 'uneducated'. The women who have made a career of making babies probably decided (at about the age of twelve) that opportunities for them to make money is going to limited, and 'professional mum' is going to give them a steady(ish) income and some job security for the next 30 years or so.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Len Co View Post
    On the other hand a lot of the 'less able' think they are carrying the 'more able'!
    Well some of them are expected to sweep up after the more able have been busy sorting the world out.

I'm Steve.

There are also a lot of the 'more able' who are pretending to be 'less able' to get something for nothing. And the health professionals have a right old time discerning the worthy from the chancers.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Martin.

It's not possible to sort the world out. That's why I can never understand people getting in a tizzy about it: 'Trump's the President now and he's a bad man.'

Yeah like there was never a bad man as US President before.

It's why history should be made compulsory in schools. And proper history, too, not all that crap about what people ate and wore or what they were 'feeling'. Really pisses me off when they have these documentaries and it is all about that trivia.

'How do you think he must have felt when he was put up for auction as a slave? It must have been awful for him.'

Yes, no shit, sherlock, thanks for explaining that, here I was thinking it must have been the best day of his life.
    Current Lash Up:

I'm joe.

It's why history should be made compulsory in schools.
    It is, in state schools at least.

And proper history, too, not all that crap about what people ate and wore or what they were 'feeling'. Really pisses me off when they have these documentaries and it is all about that trivia.
    Here's what the National Curriculum lays down as what sort of history should be taught in schools:

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ammes-of-study

'The national curriculum for history aims to ensure that all pupils:

know and understand the history of these islands as a coherent, chronological narrative, from the earliest times to the present day: how people’s lives have shaped this nation and how Britain has influenced and been influenced by the wider world

know and understand significant aspects of the history of the wider world: the nature of ancient civilisations; the expansion and dissolution of empires; characteristic features of past non-European societies; achievements and follies of mankind

gain and deploy a historically grounded understanding of abstract terms such as ‘empire’, ‘civilisation’, ‘parliament’ and ‘peasantry’
    understand historical concepts such as continuity and change, cause and consequence, similarity, difference and significance, and use them to make connections, draw contrasts, analyse trends, frame historically valid questions and create their own structured accounts, including written narratives and analyses

understand the methods of historical enquiry, including how evidence is used rigorously to make historical claims, and discern how and why contrasting arguments and interpretations of the past have been constructed

gain historical perspective by placing their growing knowledge into different contexts: understanding the connections between local, regional, national and international history;
    between cultural, economic, military, political, religious and social history; and between short- and long-term timescales.'

Now, there's a balance to be struck between, on the one hand, history as chronology, with a list of what happened when, but with little or no analysis of why these things happened, and, on the other hand, history as human experience ('imagine you are a peasant in Anglo-Saxon Britain') which risks losing sight of the big picture. Also, once GCSEs/A Levels loom, you're going to have to narrow the focus somewhat, to give pupils a chance to assimilate a reasonable amount of knowledge on which they can be tested.

I suspect that, now as always, children learn a fair bit of history at school, and that most of them will forget almost all of it once exams are over with and they leave school. Same goes for maths, physics, Eng Lit, Geography and woodwork.

I'm Martin.

I don't think it is compulsory for all 5 years of secondary though?

In any case they are obviously failing, I had a youngster asking me who Hitler was the other day, and was he anything to do with World War 2.

In fact even amongst people older than me there seems to be a huge dearth of historical knowledge, substituted instead with absurd lefty revisionist history taken directly from the Daily Mirror Book Of Facts.
    Current Lash Up:

+ Reply to Thread