+ Reply to Thread
Page 383 of 540 FirstFirst ... 283333373381382383384385393433483 ... LastLast
Results 3,821 to 3,830 of 5394

Thread: Pet Hates........or FFS

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Nightmare about the air-con, although it'd have to be *really* freezing before I'd entertain putting on a jumper in July... No such issues here. It's bloody roasting (currently 26°C), in nothing but shorts and a t-shirt!

What you describe happened last summer (I know exactly what you mean about the air, as I've experienced it before), I simply couldn't have coped with, and would've had to have walked out. I doubt in terms of health and safety, it'd even have been legal.

Marco.
    Think yourself lucky that you worked for a commercial company obliged to conform to the Offices and Factories Act, regarding working conditions and the lower and upper temperature limits of the workplace. I worked at a research establishment, which owing to the nature of the work done there, was, in principle, exempt from such regulations. However this applied to the actual laboratories; the offices did offer a much more comfortable environment.
    Barry

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Afraid not. There is a legal minimum temperature but no legal maximum.
    I see, well that's wrong. It should apply BOTH ways, as it's just as uncomfortable (and potentially as dangerous) being for long periods inside a greenhouse, as it is a freezer!

Heat stroke isn't funny...

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Think yourself lucky that you worked for a commercial company obliged to conform to the Offices and Factories Act, regarding working conditions and the lower and upper temperature limits of the workplace. I worked at a research establishment, which owing to the nature of the work done there, was, in principle, exempt from such regulations. However this applied to the actual laboratories; the offices did offer a much more comfortable environment.
    Nightmare, Barry. If it was that bad, I simply couldn't have worked there. Ultimately, my health and well being comes before anything else!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm inactive.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Afraid not. There is a legal minimum temperature but no legal maximum.

Even worse - the minima are only 'suggested' and not legally binding ... the only legal requirement is the provision of a 'reasonable' working temperature (within the realms of practicality and at the discretion of the employer)

I remember a (very short) meeting with HR some years back where they spelt it out to us.

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Actually it was better than I implied, our offices were, eventually, air-conditioned. But research establishments are exempt from a lot of Health & Safety regulations, as strict adherence could interfere with the nature of the work done there. They do, of course, expect their staff to take reasonable precautions and to fence off and warn about any hazardous experiments taking place.

Martin is right - there is no current legislation on the workplace upper temperature limit. I had forgotten about this anomaly.

The situation can be even more bizarre in the Civil Service, as legal challenges could result in a 'Regina vs. Regina' situation, which obviously cannot exist.
    Barry

Quote Originally Posted by mikmas View Post
    Even worse - the minima are only 'suggested' and not legally binding ... the only legal requirement is the provision of a 'reasonable' working temperature (within the realms of practicality and at the discretion of the employer)

I remember a (very short) meeting with HR some years back where they spelt it out to us.
    That simply isn't right. There should be a minimum and maximum temperature it is legal to work in, and if necessary enforced by unions. One of the reasons I stopped working for companies, and started up my own business, was because I was too militant/outspoken to put up with being trodden on by my employers.

There's no excuse in this country for folk not to be able to work in a comfortable and healthy environment, so that means rooms that are properly heated in winter, and correctly regulated, in terms of air-con, in the summer. Folk put up with too much from lazy-arsed, penny-pinching employers, and need to speak up!

Such employers also shooting themselves in the foot, as you simply can't get maximum production out of staff who are sweltering in hot, stuffy offices, or freezing in the same. In the long term, it's completely counterproductive. *BUT*, folks have to speak up and demand change, rather than simply meekly putting up with crap, because they're too scared of losing their jobs.

The fact is, if you're good at what you do, reliable, determined and hardworking, you'll always find a job. Have the gumption to set the agenda for yourself, rather than having it set for you, is my advice, as life's too short to be anyone's puppet.

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Adam.

Default Pet Hates........or FFS

That’s all very well, but there are 20 - 30 people in my office and, without wishing to sound sexist, what the men generally consider comfortable, the women consider cold. When the temperature is increased to the ladies’ level of comfort, we blokes are moaning that it’s too hot! Sadly, everyone’s idea of a comfortable temperature is different.

And, yes, I do realise that me complaining of the cold lumps me in with the girls, but so be it...
    Engineers: fixing problems you didn't know you had in ways you don't understand.

I'm sure if you are all reasonable human beings, you could agree on an acceptable working temperature, which is preferable to the current cold or hot extremes. In any case, my point still stands.

Folks these days put up with way too much pish, and would rather suffer in silence, than speak up and get something done to make things better!

Marco.
    Main System

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Beobloke View Post
    That’s all very well, but there are 20 - 30 people in my office and, without wishing to sound sexist, what the men generally consider comfortable, the women consider cold. When the temperature is increased to the ladies’ level of comfort, we blokes are moaning that it’s too hot! Sadly, everyone’s idea of a comfortable temperature is different.
    I know exactly what you mean. It was even worse in winter, I'd spend half the day out on site in temperatures just above freezing and return to the office finding the female staff had been 'tuning' the temperature to their liking, usually around 27C. Like walking into an oven!! Of course the management weren't interested, as they didn't go out and were used to it. I walked out a couple of times. Nobody said anything.

Thank fuck my wife's not like that - she likes it cooler, just like me. Why do some women like to live in a bloody oven? There's no way I'd stand for that

Our ideal temp indoors, is around 18C, which is what we try and keep it at. In the winter, that's easy, but not now!

Marco.
    Main System

+ Reply to Thread