+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Record clamps ?

MartinT Guest

Tony - I've got a real Bruil weight (manufactured by him). I find it gives bass some added weight and reduces surface noise. Weight is 380g so not too heavy for the bearing or motor.

I'm Tony.

Hi Martin,
    the one I linked I chose not only for price (when the $AU was 97c US) but also because the dimensions were within Rudolphs recommendations, particularly in respect to mass, which is 13oz (368gm).
    In conjunction with the Achromat I have found it to improve the resonance transmission properties of that mat (at least I assume that is what is happening) in that it improves clarity and separation, increases the "air", blackens the background and improves transient response and bass without sounding "bright" which I found acrylic mats to do, or dulled and leaden which I found rubber mats to do, rubber was very good for drive and transient attack and bass but sounded dulled, "rubbery" and slightly clouded at higher frequencies. I found the weight better than the michell clamp in that it is not necessary to push down to ensure full contact (possibly stressing the bearing) but is sufficient to give a good contact between the record and the achromat and press the thin (3mm) achromat (chosen for increased flexibility) onto the silicone and overcome (I imagine) the slight concavity of the Technics platter.
    Reduction of surface noise is also a feature of the combination. (and perhaps also of fast wideband phono stage response)
    It is always good when a tweak gives an audible improvement, n'est ce pas?
    TG

I'm Peter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony G View Post
    I found the weight better than the michell clamp in that it is not necessary to push down to ensure full contact (possibly stressing the bearing) but is sufficient to give a good contact between the record and the achromat and press the thin (3mm) achromat (chosen for increased flexibility) onto the silicone and overcome (I imagine) the slight concavity of the Technics platter.
    Reduction of surface noise is also a feature of the combination. (and perhaps also of fast wideband phono stage response)
    It is always good when a tweak gives an audible improvement, n'est ce pas?
    TG
    Tony,

I concur with what you say, in fact I couldn't say it better. Although I do find the impovements subtle.

NSW ? My bro' just moved to that neck of the woods, says he's had more rain in a month than in several years where he was previously.
    Intel NUC/Chevron Audio NDF16 dac/Amptastic Mini-1/Audium Comp 5
    Mains Block: Custom-HiFi-Cables PowerBlack Distribution Block (with super conditioner).
    Connected with Reference Fidelity Components Super Neptunes and Speaker Cables.