+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to get the best out of Computer: A Easy guide to Computer Audio

I'm ILOB.

Default How to get the best out of Computer: A Easy guide to Computer Audio

A few days ago a friend reminded me that a lot of people still find using computer audio a complete mystery. So i decided to write this
    I am not a computer expert but can make my way around a computer so I hope this helps
    A computer can be a useful transport or even player in obtaining decent sounds, but for some it still remains a mystery, This is a simple guide in how to get up and running with a computer.
    Most of what I am writing is based on a windows based systems but a lot of the principles remain the same no matter what system you using.
    1) First of all you need a computer I would recommend a system with good memory 500gb would be suitable for a lot of people and good ram if you using JPLAY so you can use it in extreme version. I quite like using notebooks due to the quiet fan but most towers made are pretty quiet these days. So the choice is wide.
    2) The next step is having a place to store music on your computer. You can use players like Itunes, Jriver and media monkey for this or you can just store them on a file. This players can be downloaded on the internet and some you will have to pay for.
    3) Once we have a place to store music we then need to put some music on your computer. A) By downloading from a music site such as Itunes or HDTracks or Amazon, a lot of bands will now allow you to download from their site also B) By ripping a CD using something like perfect rip http://perfectrip.cdfreaks.com/ or EAC http://www.ehow.com/how_8351904_rip-wav-eac.html I use WAV as my choice of recording format but you could use FLAC, the main bit is not to use compression I personally choose not to use lossless it means less storage space on my computer.
    We now have music stored on our computer so now we need a way to play it back. This will depend on your soundcard; some come with RCA outs but most come with optical out. Another means to play music is via a USB output. Once you decide what output to use you will generally need a DAC to convert the music into analogue and then sending this signal to your amplifier.
    Another method is to stream your music. This allows you to put your music on a external hard drive and then send the music to a transporter/server like the logictech touch and them use a DAC as above.
    Getting the best out of the player you choose
    JPLAY: I use Jplay as my preferred choice and here is a quick guide to getting the best out of it. Use it in Jplay mini, to play music right click and copy and when in Jplay mini press the space bar to play the music.
    To alter the controls for the best sound I use the following parameters. This is done by pressing the letters to change the parameters
    a to set audio interface Kennel
    b to set Buffer size Direct Link
    e to set engine Extreme
    h to set Hibernate mode Fullscale
    o to set memory 500gb
    s to set blitscreen Native
    To get the best sound out of Itunes
    Convert files to WAV to do this right hand click track and then press Create WAV file. If recording CDs Go into edit then press preferences, then click import settings use wav encoder and then go to custom settings and set to 44 100khz for general CD recording. I leave the equalizer on off if just using Itunes for playback but these days I would rarely use Itunes as I prefer the playback of Jplay mini.
    I hope others can add advice about how to get the best out of other players
    Also remember to back up your files
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Gary.

good tips John.

I'm Jim.

John,
    Thanks for the info, and suggestions.
    Regards,
    Jim
    Music is what it's all about, but I sure like the way my gear makes it come to life! My gear >
    http://theartofsound.net/forum/album.php?albumid=123

I'm openingabottleofwine.

John,

This looks like a suitable candidate for the Library/Knowledge. If you could expand on some points and perhaps add some screen shots, it could be a very useful addition.

Regards
    Barry

I'm ILOB.

Ok Barry I do that at the weekend Do I email you with full works first Barry as I tend to make few mistakes
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    Ok Barry I do that at the weekend Do I email you with full works first Barry as I tend to make few mistakes
    Yes, either PM your draft to me or to any of the Fount Masters.

Cheers
    Barry

I'm ILOB.

Will do

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

1) First of all you need a computer I would recommend a system with good memory 500gb would be suitable for a lot of people and good ram if you using JPLAY so you can use it in extreme version.
    If it is intended for people with not much computer knowledge, I think you do need to be a lot clearer I'm afraid. Your first point seems to recommend 500Gb of RAM..

2) The next step is having a place to store music on your computer. You can use players like Itunes, Jriver and media monkey for this or you can just store them on a file. This players can be downloaded on the internet and some you will have to pay for.
    I didn't understand point 2 either and I've been mucking about upgrading PCs since 286 days. I store my music on the hard drive personally

I take it you meant that you can use those programs to organise your music for you or you can just organise the individual music files and folders on the hard drive manually?

Sorry for being critical.. If it really is for people who don't understand computers much, it needs to be written for them in mind rather than needing the knowledge beforehand to work out what might be being said.

I'm going to cause a stir now If using a computer is a less than relaxing, then why would you want to allow that to creep into your enjoyment of music? For some, it might be better to stick to plugging a tablet directly into your hifi via an audio out or using a media player with a docking station or, dare I say, stick to traditional means. Perhaps, if you're feeling wealthy, there are fancy ready made streaming devices out there that need no real technical knowledge..

I'm ILOB.

Hi Nat
    I written one with images etc that will be added to the libary latter so that should make it eaiser to understand
    How you organise music will very I have mine in a music folder (which is on the hard drive) and also on media monkey and Itunes I cannot hear a difference between media monkey and Itunes and whilst I played with Jriver I do not use it myself. When setting these players up they will ask to import your music files
    I do not see using a computer as hassle based, once set up, the hassle is setting up your files and this may not be something people want to do, listening to music is simple/hassle free
    Last edited by John; 23-11-2012 at 08:10.

I'm Hugo.

If anyone wants to build a small and quiet (silent, even) PC music source that does not break the bank, then I recommend taking a look at Item Audio's recipe at http://www.itemaudio.com/index.php/f...t1-recipe.html . This recipe has been the subject of an immense slagging-off over at PFM but I cannot understand why anyone should object to such good advice being published for free - it's not as though anyone has to buy any parts from Item. I also recommend J River Media Centre software, which costs $50 but, importantly, takes care of accurate ripping and organising the music library. More importantly, to my ears, music sounds better played via J River than Foobar. I'm not familiar with JPlay but J River is a really good option for anyone who wishes to have something stable, well supported, and which just gets on with the job, with minimum faffing around.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast