+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Replacing EL34 valves

I'm Neal.

Not sure what was meant by a high impedance valve, the EL34 has a set of characteristics that will be broadly the same from manufacture to the next so the plate resistance and other characteristics will more or less be consistent as the valve is an "EL34"... The construction may vary but valve from one manufacturer should work in the same cct as one from another...
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm chang.

Quote Originally Posted by The Grand Wazoo View Post
    I had some of those for a bit - they were push-pull pentode, with a 'wired for triode' switch. Are yours permanently in triode mode Chang?
    I believe so. What was your experience when switching between the two modes? Are pentodes 'punchier' and 'triodes 'sweeter'?

I'm chang.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Not sure what was meant by a high impedance valve, the EL34 has a set of characteristics that will be broadly the same from manufacture to the next so the plate resistance and other characteristics will more or less be consistent as the valve is an "EL34"... The construction may vary but valve from one manufacturer should work in the same cct as one from another...
    I've been looking at various tube sites and wow it's a minefield. Tesla, JJ and Winged Svetlana seem to be well regarded. I feel drawn to EL34L types; as I am new to valve amps, I'm looking for a compromise between the SS and valve sounds. Apparently the EL34L has good dynamics, so maybe they'll deliver the compromise I'm looking for. Not sure if my monos will take other types of tube.

I'm ChrisB.

That would sum it up pretty well.

Studded leather jacket vs zoot suit!

I'm ChrisB.

How much do you want to spend?
    Most people who try them like vintage Mullard EL34's, but they're expensive.
    There's also the 6CA7, which is the US version - functionally identical but some feel it has a bit more control top & bottom.
    Not forgetting the KT77, which will almost certainly work in your Tempos.

I'm chang.

How much do you want to spend?
    Most people who try them like vintage Mullard EL34's, but they're expensive.
    There's also the 6CA7, which is the US version - functionally identical but some feel it has a bit more control top & bottom.
    Not forgetting the KT77, which will almost certainly work in your Tempos.
    Well, I'll spend whatever it takes so long as I get good vfm; don't want to spend on foo or anything that only brings barely noticeable changes in th overall sound.
    I checked the price of the Groove Tube EL34M (because that is what was supplied with my monos) and they are more expensive than other well regarded EL34. So I'm not sure what to conclude; either -
    (a) Groove Tube products are well known but tube rollers recommend better tubes that can be had for less money, or
    (b) fewer people have heard Groove Tube valves and therefore they are less likely to be recommended

I'm ChrisB.

If you go for Groove Tubes, be sure you get them from someone who knows what you want them for. Their main market is guitarists and they often want something that will go into distortion early. This is the opposite to what you want! Groove Tubes are graded from 1 to 10 (I think they go up to 10 anyway) you want a high number!

I'm chang.

If you go for Groove Tubes, be sure you get them from someone who knows what you want them for. Their main market is guitarists and they often want something that will go into distortion early. This is the opposite to what you want! Groove Tubes are graded from 1 to 10 (I think they go up to 10 anyway) you want a high number!
    Thanks for the tip Chris. I noticed the distortion gradings on the GT website and they indicate that a medium grade is suitable for general listening. I'll double check.
    BTW, since I only need a single EL34 replacement at the moment
    - would it matter if I just bought a single valve or do I need to buy a matched pair*
    - would it matter if the replacement is from a different manufacturer than the others I'm using
    - where does biasing come into all of this?

*I intend to eventually buy a fully matched octet when funds allow.

I'm ChrisB.

Well, ideally, you should get all eight tested by someone to see what you need to do.
    At the very least, I'd expect to be buying a pair.

I think that all Art Audio amps have an auto biasing arrangement - my Tempos certainly did, so you probably needn't bother yourself with all that!

I'm chang.

Last question (possibly)
    I assumed EL34 and 6CA7 where directly interchangeable. A local guy is selling matched pairs of 6CA7's but he says they are tetrode tubes (my amp is triode).
    - I thought tetrode / pentode / triode were terms that referred to the internal circuitry of an amp
    - my monos hold 8 power tubes; would I cause damage if 2 of the tubes were 'tetrode tubes'?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast