+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: SPU Royal GM MKII lands at Marco Towers

I'm Dominic.

Working on my own MC using FG S tip

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Nice one, matey. Let me know when it's ready, and I'll pop round for a listen. I'd like to hear the Eddingdale's, too. It's been way too long since our last sesh!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Pani.

This was a nice read on the latest and greatest SPUs. Has anyone compared the Royal GM MK2 to a Silver Miester MK2 ? They are in the similar price brackets but their specs are different and so is the stylus. Any thoughts about their sonic difference ?

Hi Pani,

Sorry for the late reply - just saw this. I've heard both cartridges on my turntable. The SM is superb, and what I was going to get before I convinced myself to buy the Royal - which fortunately turned out to be one of the best audio decisions of my life!

The SM is very detailed sounding (thanks to its solid silver-wired coils and silver wiring throughout), and very SPU-like in the traditional manner, with that renowned, sumptuous sounding 'valve-like' midrange. However, the Royal takes all of that and runs with it further, whilst pulling more information off of the grooves than I've heard from any other cartridge I've owned, thanks to its superbly accurate Replicant 100 stylus.

Therefore, if you can afford it, the Royal is where that true SPU magic lives, but only when used in conjunction with a high-quality SUT, such as the tailor-made Ortofon ST-80SE. Listening to those working their truly spellbinding magic together, produces unforgettable musical experiences!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm gordan.

Isn't an Ortofon SPU tailor-made SUT in fact T-100, not ST-80?
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

Hi Gordan,

To my ears, no, having tried both, prior to buying the ST-80SE. IMO, the latter is significantly the better sounding unit

Marco.
    Main System

I'm gordan.

Interesting, if their blogs are to be trusted, it seems that Japanese audiophiles rate SPU-T100 SUT better.

It could be something with geomagnetism of the place where you have tested yours. T100 is according to Ortofon papers "able to isolate the external magnetic wave completely, naturally geomagnetism of 45,000nT (Tokyo area)".

Btw, anyone knows what are the transformers inside of ST-80 and T-100? I think the ones in Verto SUT are Lundahl...
    Gordan.
    Speakers: Oris Swing MkII
    Amps: Thomas Mayer 300b/ Hiraga La Maison de L'Audiophile 20
    Preamp: Silver AVC by eng. Ferenc Lazar
    Phono Preamp: Shishido LCR by Solaja Audio
    Decks: Garrard 301 Martin Bastin reworked/plinthed with Fidelity Research FR64fx
    Garrard 401 in eng Ferenc Lazar solid wenge plinth with SME 3012/2
    Cartridges: SPU Spirit/ Koetsu Black revisited by eng. Salai/ Miyajima Shilabe
    Step Up Transformers: Tango MCT 999/ Ortofon T-5000/ Lumiere SUT
    Digital: Shigaclone by eng. Ferenc Lazar with Lampizator Amber II
    Wires: of sufficient length

They're also from Lundahl in both the Verto and ST-80SE

Marco.
    Main System

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by anubisgrau View Post
    Interesting, if their blogs are to be trusted, it seems that Japanese audiophiles rate SPU-T100 SUT better.

It could be something with geomagnetism of the place where you have tested yours. T100 is according to Ortofon papers "able to isolate the external magnetic wave completely, naturally geomagnetism of 45,000nT (Tokyo area)".

Btw, anyone knows what are the transformers inside of ST-80 and T-100? I think the ones in Verto SUT are Lundahl...
    Strange, the earth's magnetic field at these latitudes is around 20,000nT.

Sounds like a bit of 'technobabble' designed to impress. Any transformer worth its salt will have sufficiently good shielding to screen out the (static) background magnetic field of the earth.
    Barry

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678