+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sony ES CD players.

I'm Buffet-blower.

Default Sony ES CD players.

What's the low-down then chaps?

I'm really enjoying the sonics provded by my Sony ES amp - it really has been quite a find (and also noticed how the value of these things has started to rise) plus the ES tuner I scored as part of the deal is excellent. The amp is quite a star though, and if I'm honest it was a major upgrade from the Claymore. Yes folks, it really is that good.

I'm now keen to have a little delve into the old ES CD player range and have had my eye on a few which have been and gone on the Bay of E. As my knowledge of these beasts is minimal, I've left well alone so far but nonetheless am interested in finding out the goods from the not-so-goods. Reading up around the www hasn't thrown up any nasties, but nor has it shouted from the rooftops as to what stands out.

I fully realise the 'big' beasts (the 777's, 555's etc) are a little out of reach at the moment but the lesser models would surely be worth a look? Any models which stand out as worth having and not costing too much?

Thanks for any info.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

The ES suffix spans many generations of Sony CD players so I'm not sure one can really say that they are a range. More the case of being recommended a particular Sony by someone on its own individual merit.

I'm tommy.

the cdpx/es with the puck were a different beast all together , lovdmine , sold it through a purple haze ,hindsight , probably a mistake
    getting older and now getting wiser

I'm NotassmartasIimagine.

I had a CDPXA7ES for a long time - the flagship model throught the 90's until the intro of SACD1 if I remember correctly... At the time, the only player I heard that was markedly better was a two-box Wadia system which was super-expensive. I would have another in a heartbeat if I could find one. Built like a brick outhouse - 19kg! Loved the big heavy puck.

I especially liked the remote controllable variable output - straight into my 45 tube amp and the Klipschhorns for a nice, clean signal path and a wonderful audio experience... Also featured ballanced inputs and coax+optical digi outs...
    Cade

I'm James.

IME they vary from good to great... And I've owned a few

The original models are quite old now & will likely need servicing so personally I would avoid those, you can tell them apart from the others as they have more buttons than a till & the model numbers end in ESD not ES.

The CDP-X models are from the same age as your amp so would be a nice match. They consist of: X222es/X333es/X555es/X777es - Models X22es/X33es/X55es/X77es are 99% the same, just a couple of years newer.

The CDP-XA models are from the late 90's to early 00's. They consist of : XA20es/XA30es/XA5es/XA7es - Models XA2es/XA3es/XA5es/XA7es are 99% the same, just a couple of years newer.

The last were SCD-X models but I have never tried them & reports of reliability issues are abound on the 'net so would steer clear unless you find a bargain or are feeling brave.

To be honest you really cant go wrong, they're all good but the 5's & 7's are special.

Hopefully that lot makes sense ?

I'm Richard.

I had a 707 but the unobtanium kss-272a laser was failing. After a year of looking I finally found a cheaper es with same laser in good condition so fixed it. It was good, but not as good as my CDI to my ears. I sold it on ebay for €685

Richard

I'm Buffet-blower.

Thanks for the input chaps - and apologies for tardy reply as I've been gigging all weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by istari_knight View Post
    The CDP-X models are from the same age as your amp so would be a nice match. They consist of: X222es/X333es/X555es/X777es - Models X22es/X33es/X55es/X77es are 99% the same, just a couple of years newer.
    That's pretty much part of the plan James - whilst I'm not always after matching boxes, having ones which do would be rather nice.
    Richard.

Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I'm Rob.

Still chuffed with my S9000ES DVD/SACD player.

Audion Sterling Plus by RSdesignUK, on Flickr

Battleship build and sounds great!

Can be had cheap as they are Pre HDMI and does not have 5.1 out

http://www.laaudiofile.com/dvps9000es.html
    Michell Mycro / AT33PTG/II | Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk | Yamaha CD-NT670D | Bryston B60R | ATC SCM10

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

That's a high-quality player, Rob - virtually as good with audio (CD/SACD) as the partnering Sony CD-only machines, and utterly stunning on movies. Truly one of the last of the 'great players' when Sony were still at the top of their game.

Well, in reference to ES machines, I've been using a highly-modded Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC for years and have no desire to 'upgrade' it with a modern CDP. Quite simply, when you hear TDA 1541s done well, nothing else will do!

Good luck in your search for a nice Sony player, Richard

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Buffet-blower.

Thanks for the further input chaps - looks like I've just scored myself a very clean X303ES for not a lot of cash, and the seller lives locally.

Another big black box to sit upon le shelf.
    Richard.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast