+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Analogue Sound Revisited - Denon DRM540 Tape Deck

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Quote Originally Posted by niklasthedolphin View Post
    Sad to read that you didn't have the option to experience the superiority of analog media and sources compared to digital media and sources when best.

"dolph"
    The "analogue media" I used and enjoyed for some years way back were copies of master tapes. They were GOOD!!!!

Sadly, much "domestic" analogue recording doesn't come close and although I admit that when the recordings are fresh, decent cassette has a wide frequency response out to the lower 20Kz region, a few years and a few plays will soon sort that out and shave off the quietest bits.

Perhaps I shouldn't have posted, I forget that I was doing this 35 years ago and have moved on, whereas some of you are discovering these things for the first time. I've been lucky enough to have heard good digital and it suits me fine. It's the antics of recording and mastering engineers that's the problem

P.S. I've just read the above and must apologise for my Aspergic "black and white" reply ("we" don't *all* like steam-trains you know.......). Vintage tape decks are great fun and if I still had my master copies (they went to the friend who bought my high speed IEC Revox B77 II) I'd probably be looking for another Revox or the good-n-blingy Technics 1500.

As for cassette, which was the original subject, I still feel the medium is too unstable and easily damaged, but there's no denying recordings off metal tape can be great and I still have a box full of cassettes somewhere.
    Last edited by DSJR; 27-02-2009 at 09:39.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

niklasthedolphin Guest

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post
    The "analogue media" I used and enjoyed for some years way back were copies of master tapes. They were GOOD!!!!

Sadly, much "domestic" analogue recording doesn't come close and although I admit that when the recordings are fresh, decent cassette has a wide frequency response out to the lower 20Kz region, a few years and a few plays will soon sort that out and shave off the quietest bits.

Perhaps I shouldn't have posted, I forget that I was doing this 35 years ago and have moved on, whereas some of you are discovering these things for the first time. I've been lucky enough to have heard good digital and it suits me fine. It's the antics of recording and mastering engineers that's the problem

P.S. I've just read the above and must apologise for my Aspergic "black and white" reply ("we" don't *all* like steam-trains you know.......). Vintage tape decks are great fun and if I still had my master copies (they went to the friend who bought my high speed IEC Revox B77 II) I'd probably be looking for another Revox or the good-n-blingy Technics 1500.

As for cassette, which was the original subject, I still feel the medium is too unstable and easily damaged, but there's no denying recordings off metal tape can be great and I still have a box full of cassettes somewhere.

I have yet to experience my Lyrec R2R (the Studer and Nagra killer) and my Tandberg TCD 910 (The Dragon-, and any Nakamichi killer) to be beaten by digital encodings.

I have been sound engineering and tape operating master tapes since the late 70's and have been backing up on 32/192 and 24/96 and still do that.
    ................well not been using digital as back up since the 70's.

Chose the digital as back up due to the superiority of my R2R.

There is very far between published music from great masterings.

"dolph"
    Last edited by niklasthedolphin; 27-02-2009 at 19:44.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

You'll have far more experience than me then.

I do remember the reviewer Martin Colloms lending us a Sony 1610 (yes, that long ago) to play with. We put it in the tape loop of our reference system (unity gain) and couldn't hear the difference (tape out to A-D, fed back to D-A and on to tape monitor). I suppose the system, or more possible, the preamp, could have got in the way (it was a Naim after all.............), but so many professional people have told me that a good A-D shouldn't get in the way. Perhaps their monitoring systems weren't good enough, I don't know any more.

I'm just about to play some more music and I'm not really bothered what format it's on......

I'm Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by DSJR View Post

HI Dave

Don't you dare question posting....its great to hear what guys like you have to say. Its very valuable in my opinion. As to the second part of the emboldened text...this is the threat that faces us more and more....If it becomes the total norm (which it is starting to do in rock/pop recordings)then Hi-fi is doomed for all put older recordings. That would be a pretty crap future.

Regards D S D L----Neil
    Regards Neil

I'm David.

Thanks for kind sentiments Mr Dalek Supreme.

Seriously fella's, I don't care overmuch what the medium is any more, I just want to hear the music at the end of the day. I'll have to get the Denon and tapes down from the loft and hope the Denon still plays ok.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123