+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Please help, I've wrecked my Beresford

Quote Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
    Looking closely at your pic, are you sure EC4 and EC5 are in the right way round? The stripe appears to be on the side facing the op-amp whereas on Stans photo it's on the opposite side. Assuming your caps stripe is marked as negative not positive.
    Haha, I hadn't noticed that! But the pic I posted was before I did any changes to the caps, so that's the way they were when I got them.

Attached is a photo of my unmodded DAC. They are also the same way.

Should I turn these around to match the photo?
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just checked around on the net and found that others are also the opposite of mine. Maybe someone that bought one in the past couple of weeks can compare to see if it's the same as mine? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jgarner71 View Post
    Haha, I hadn't noticed that! But the pic I posted was before I did any changes to the caps, so that's the way they were when I got them.

Attached is a photo of my unmodded DAC. They are also the same way.

Should I turn these around to match the photo?
    You have to turn them round as indicated in the MOD21 sheet. The sound difference is going to blow you away.
    If I have to tell you why, I'll have to kill you afterwards just so you don't pass on my secret.

Stan

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post
    You have to turn them round as indicated in the MOD21 sheet. The sound difference is going to blow you away.
    If I have to tell you why, I'll have to kill you afterwards just so you don't pass on my secret.

Stan
    ...Because the caps came stuffed the wrong way 'round from the factory?

There's 3.55v accross those caps (on my example) +5.5v opamp side and +1.95v on the other side so the caps need to be switched around as they are 'lytics.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensimilia View Post

Stan
    Oh wow, ok. I'll switch them around. Good looking out to ultraviolet who spotted my mistake.

I'm Neal.

....Ah! I see the PCB Legend is incorrect....

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by jgarner71 View Post
    Oh wow, ok. I'll switch them around. Good looking out to ultraviolet who spotted my mistake.

You didn't make a mistake, its not clear from the MOD21.pdf the need to rotate the caps and if you just followed the PCB legend then you will set the caps the wrong way 'round....just like I did.

leo is offline Circuit Junkie & DIY Room Forum Leader

Single rail supply isn't it

So as a guess there could be more people thats tried the mod21 and fitted the caps the wrong way around

I turned the caps around and like Stan said it has made a big, big difference. My dac is no longer "wrecked"! Thanks again everyone.
    James

Denon DCD-755AE (Power supply mods, used as a transport)
    PS Audio Digital Link III (Power supply mods, Audiocom Superclock 4)
    Tricorp TRV-35SE (V-Cap Teflon and Wima MKP10 caps)
    KEF IQ5 (Bennic XPP caps and Jantzen MOX resistors)
    Yamaha YST-SW225 subwoofer
    Cables: Transparent Premium Powerlink, PS Audio xStream Prelude, Mark Grant DSP 2.5, Audioquest King Kobra, Audiotrak Glass Black

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by leo View Post
    Single rail supply isn't it

So as a guess there could be more people thats tried the mod21 and fitted the caps the wrong way around
    My electrical engineer fitted the caps in the mod21 part one so positive is connected to positive and the negative to negative. it sounds good now but you've all confused me with the comments about switching the caps around .What does this mean?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast