+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Please help, I've wrecked my Beresford

Default EC 8 EC9 connections

I have moved from the "mod your Beresford 7510" thread to the "I've wrecked my Berersford" thread.

I'm really not good with lead free solder. Solder keeps getting stuck inside the hole after desoldering the component.

If you take a look at my board, I think i may have damaged the EC 8 and EC 9 holes.

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!!!

This are my question.

1. Are there any connections from the top side of the board (surface mount side) to EC8 and EC9 ? I believe i see some tracks on the top side running to EC 8 and EC 9.

Also I've wrecked the copper tracks on the bottom of the board.

2. Can i just bend the leads and join them to CC1 and CC2 since I know that they're in parallel.

3. Can I take out CC1 and CC2 and place the EC 8 and EC 9 caps in their place since it's they're connected in parallel?

Busted EC8 and EC 9 holes

Busted copper tracks

Healthy Board (photo taken from freddiecas on another post)

Last edited by snowflake; 18-03-2009 at 16:16.

I'm Rob.

It looks like you have torn the solder pad away whilst de-soldering the caps. If the caps at CC1 and CC2 are in parallel, then there should be no problem in joining them together with a bridge uderneath the board.
    Last edited by Puffin; 18-03-2009 at 16:36.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    It looks like you have torn the solder pad away whilst de-soldering the caps. If the caps at CC1 and CC2 are in parallel, then there should be no problem in joining them together with a bridge uderneath the board.
    Hi Puffin,

Thanks so much for your quick reply!

So its OK that the holes on the top side of the board are busted?

I'm Rob.

Of course it has occurred to me that although continuity between EC8 and CC1 and the opposite 2 will be o.k you will have to make a bridge between the connections on EC8 and EC9 on top of the board where the holes are, as you say, busted!

You can do this by scraping some of the lacquer off the track you can see coming from the + and - holes and solder a thin solid wire to the copper track and solder it to the cap.

I would put a very small amount of super glue on the bridge and let it dry thoroughly, so that if you move the cap with the bridge attached, it will not (hopefully) rip the track up you have soldered to.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    Of course it has occurred to me that although continuity between EC8 and CC1 and the opposite 2 will be o.k you will have to make a bridge between the connections on EC8 and EC9 on top of the board where the holes are, as you say, busted!

You can do this by scraping some of the lacquer off the track you can see coming from the + and - holes and solder a thin solid wire to the copper track and solder it to the cap.

I would put a very small amount of super glue on the bridge and let it dry thoroughly, so that if you move the cap with the bridge attached, it will not (hopefully) rip the track up you have soldered to.
    Thanks Puffin,
    I'll have a go at it tomorrow. Need really nimble hands to solder a wire from a scratched off track to a capacitor leg in such a small space.

BTW, that's a very nice looking speaker you have on your avatar. After I've mastered soldering, I'm moving on to speaker construction. Look out for busted speakers in the near future!

I'm Rob.

The speakers were made with birch ply to the specs on the Fostex site (208 Sigma cabinet) a full range horn design. The drivers are Fostex 206E 8" full range. I have had them a couple of years now and will never get rid of them. By the way they weigh 65kg each.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345