+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tannoy Monitor Gold crossovers

I'm Andrew.

fooking hell Joe you were correct about them looking like monoblocks. Well done incidently, I'll keep you updated with my secret project
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Josie.

Many thanks chaps... Just the finishing off to do now!
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm Paul.

Excellent work Joe and I look forward to the final outcome

If that big Russian military cap starts ticking or smoking...back steadily away to a distance or about a mile

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Excellent work Joe and I look forward to the final outcome

If that big Russian military cap starts ticking or smoking...back steadily away to a distance or about a mile
    lol... that thing is inside the case... It dose look ominously nuclear to be honest. It has a lovely sound, totally suits the Monitor Golds.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Hugo.

Hi Joe

Are you still using the little 4-pin Tannoy plugs, or hardwiring the crossovers directky to the LF and HF coil terminals? Also, did you settle on any particular autoformer tap for best HF balance?

I'm pretty much decided that I'm going to restore my Lancasters and will probably get Nick to do the crossovers, since he has my Sowter autoformers and you have been a good guinea pig!

I'm Josie.

Quote Originally Posted by Shuggie View Post
    Hi Joe

Are you still using the little 4-pin Tannoy plugs, or hardwiring the crossovers directky to the LF and HF coil terminals? Also, did you settle on any particular autoformer tap for best HF balance?

I'm pretty much decided that I'm going to restore my Lancasters and will probably get Nick to do the crossovers, since he has my Sowter autoformers and you have been a good guinea pig!
    Hi Hugo.

I'm am hardwiring to the drivers. The plugs are fine but can become crusty over time apparently.

I settled on yellow tap of which also jumps to the 50R resistor.

Any questions, just ask.. or PM.

Cheers
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 03-11-2012 at 09:53.

Tannoyista.com
    Facebook

I'm Eugene.

Nice job, Joe!
    Last edited by sey; 11-01-2013 at 14:18.

I'm Andrew.

Any idea on how we can get pics of joes reworked cross overs, now im in the market for some making I'd like to see what he's used.
    SS
    CD Teac VRDS25X(Audiotuned) DECK 1210 Mat Crystal Audio Mods MN Base/Bearing/Platter+Ebony armboard Feet Isonoe PSU Paul Hynes SR7EHD-27XL/DCSXL Ag DC lead/3 Stage Regs/Recap PCB+No Pitch/Strobe/Light ARM SME V(Kondo Ag Rewire&Tags) MC Cadenza Black FGS CABLES Arm Yannis SPD-4 IC Yannis 222 Litz+Ag bullets Power WAR PRE ATC SCA2 SPEAKERS ATC 50ASL STANDS Atacama PHONO Sugden Masterclass PA4 SUT Ortofon ST80SE POWER PSAudio P10

VALVE
    PRE
    Croft Epoch(Modded) AMP Sondex S100 (Modded) SPEAKERS Tannoy 15"MG+RFC Warwick cabs+ Ref XO + Batpure supertweeters DECK Garrard 301 Mat Teunto Bearings 401(Bastin) Plinth Bamboo Arms 3009/3012 PSU Eagle+Tachometer MC Ag Meister II/FGS + Ortofon SPU MONO CABLES Arm Yannis 420.5 Litz+ SpeakerPC Tripple C+WBT-0681 Ag IC Oyaide FTVS-510 AgWBT 0110Ag Phonostages Paradise(4 Box Mega-Modded) / Croft Musicmaker

I'm Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by The Black Adder View Post
    Hi Hugo.

I'm am hardwiring to the drivers. The plugs are fine but can become crusty over time apparently.

I settled on yellow tap of which also jumps to the 50R resistor.

Any questions, just ask.. or PM.

Cheers
    Those wanting to have a go at DIY versions minus the crossovers need to be careful here! I guess you've used the autoformers Joe, so no circuit changes are needed.

If not using the autoformer and using a fixed value inductor, you will not have the correct values if you use the yellow tapping values. Yellow tap may be what Tannoy show in the crossovers as flat, but it is not the electrically flat tapping. That is the Green tap not the yellow.

Bear in mind when you choose an inductor value if it is a fixed inductor value, it should have the same inductance as the green tap which is about 2.9mH and not the 4mH of the Yellow tap.

Furthermore, the green is connected back to the orange tap which makes the reflected impedance ratio 2.0, so for a fixed inductor value, the correct value for the shunt resistor is not 50 Ohms, its 25 Ohms. 50 ohms at this point will put too much energy into the HF circuit at the expense of bass. Any less than 25 Ohms and you will stress your amp but not change bass/improve response.

With the autoformer in circuit you do not have to worry about these things but many DIY/Forum diagrams I've seen for DIY fixed value crossovers have been wrong because of these points. I'm happy to confirm and supply the correct values if anyone else is having a go at DIY fixed value crossovers minus the autoformers (don't forget that these act as step-up/down transformers as well as a variable inductor).

I'm Hugo.

Joe is using the new Tannoy MG autoformer very successfully 'reverse engineered' and supplied by Sowter, so your comments apply in principle, if not quite in detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Those wanting to have a go at DIY versions minus the crossovers need to be careful here! I guess you've used the autoformers Joe, so no circuit changes are needed.

If not using the autoformer and using a fixed value inductor, you will not have the correct values if you use the yellow tapping values. Yellow tap may be what Tannoy show in the crossovers as flat, but it is not the electrically flat tapping. That is the Green tap not the yellow.

Bear in mind when you choose an inductor value if it is a fixed inductor value, it should have the same inductance as the green tap which is about 2.9mH and not the 4mH of the Yellow tap.

Furthermore, the green is connected back to the orange tap which makes the reflected impedance ratio 2.0, so for a fixed inductor value, the correct value for the shunt resistor is not 50 Ohms, its 25 Ohms. 50 ohms at this point will put too much energy into the HF circuit at the expense of bass. Any less than 25 Ohms and you will stress your amp but not change bass/improve response.

With the autoformer in circuit you do not have to worry about these things but many DIY/Forum diagrams I've seen for DIY fixed value crossovers have been wrong because of these points. I'm happy to confirm and supply the correct values if anyone else is having a go at DIY fixed value crossovers minus the autoformers (don't forget that these act as step-up/down transformers as well as a variable inductor).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast