+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cartridge's , Please educate me

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Strain gauge cartridges do not generate a voltage per se, the record groove modulates the resistance of the strain-gauge element and so they need a power supply and an anti-RIAA equalisation network. Apart from the current Soundsmith design, the only other cartridge using the strain gauge principle was the monophonic Miniconic design of the '60s. (There was a Micro Audio MA 2002 cartridge which may have used a similar principle.)

Ceramic cartidges and crystal cartridges do generate a voltage, and require a different equalisation network to conform to the RIAA curve.

I have little experience of any of them, save to say the Decca Deram was well regarded in its day.
    Barry

I'm Gone.

Garrard SP25 Mk2 Decca Deram Teleton amp and a couple of EMI elliptical speakers with 2 3 inch tweeters on the front in home made cabs............... Ahhhh! teenage bliss and girls wanted to come back to mine to listen to music

Ah the Teleton amp! This was discussed some time ago in a rather nostalgic thread
    Barry

I'm Geoff.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Strain gauge cartridges do not generate a voltage per se, the record groove modulates the resistance of the strain-gauge element and so they need a power supply and an anti-RIAA equalisation network. Apart from the current Soundsmith design, the only other cartridge using the strain gauge principle was the monophonic Miniconic design of the '60s. (There was a Micro Audio MA 2002 cartridge which may have used a similar principle.)

Ceramic cartidges and crystal cartridges do generate a voltage, and require a different equalisation network to conform to the RIAA curve.

I have little experience of any of them, save to say the Decca Deram was well regarded in its day.
    You certainly know your stuff Barry.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall Panasonic/Technics were working on an advanced piezo ceramic cartridge design at one time, probably late seventies. I don't know whether anything came of it.

The Micro-Acoustics cartridges were electret designs, operating on a similar principle to ceramic/crystal types.

I'm Simon.

Pete over on the Wam has a Panasonic/Technics, there was also Sao Win.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Dave.

Jeweltone Ribbon.

Quote Originally Posted by walpurgis View Post
    You certainly know your stuff Barry.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to recall Panasonic/Technics were working on an advanced piezo ceramic cartridge design at one time, probably late seventies. I don't know whether anything came of it.

The Micro-Acoustics cartridges were electret designs, operating on a similar principle to ceramic/crystal types.
    Yes, you're right about the Micro-Acoustics MA 2002 being an electret design. I had forgotten about it, just as I had forgotten the correct name!

Apropos ceramic cartridges, I think they have had their day and I can't imagine anyone developing the principle further. The Sao Win design sadly didn't come to anything (nor did his turntable).

However, I would have said the same about strain gauge cartridges but then up pops Soundsmith with their design.

The Jeweltone ribbon cartridge was an electrodynamic design - a "moving coil" cartridge having a one half turn winding to the coil, i.e. a ribbon. Imported into the UK by the owner of the Absolute Sounds dealership, it almost immediately sank from view. Shame, as I would liked to have heard one; the (monophonic) Ferranti ribbon cartridge of the '50s was considered state of the art and was favoured by the late Peter Walker of Quad.
    Barry

I'm Dave.

The Jeweltone was an excellent cartridge, very fast, detailed and dynamic. The JR1 (was it ?) was an integrated into the plastic headshell jobbie, whilst the later JR3 was a conventional screw mount. I still have one here.

The original importer was a HK friend of mine, who brought them in for friends and acquaintances. Ricardo, in turn, brought them from my friend but did very little with them.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    The Jeweltone was an excellent cartridge, very fast, detailed and dynamic. The JR1 (was it ?) was an integrated into the plastic headshell jobbie, whilst the later JR3 was a conventional screw mount. I still have one here.

The original importer was a HK friend of mine, who brought them in for friends and acquaintances. Ricardo, in turn, brought them from my friend but did very little with them.
    Do you have it set up Dave? What is the output? I would imagine it to be very low.

How about getting it set up in a suitable arm fitted to your Thorens TD124/II, and I'll come over and listen to it?

Regards
    Barry

I'm Dave.

I'll have to dig it out. I think I know where it is, just so long as it's not gone the way of some other exotic cartridges I had - vanished, when I shut my shop.

I can't mount it on the TD124 as that has an SME improved, which won't balance the JR. I do have other TT's though.

The output was low but worked perfectly into the x'mers I used back then, one of which I still have.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast