+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Rega RP8

I'm Dave.

There will be at least one other above the RP8 but I know very little about it other than it's a totally skeletal design. Each one gets lighter and stiffer.

I'm Paul.

Dave,

Looks like Rega have engineered a seriously good TT at last. Judging by the visual quality and added design sophistication this should be a big step up from previous models.

Paul.

I'm Deleted.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    There will be at least one other above the RP8 but I know very little about it other than it's a totally skeletal design. Each one gets lighter and stiffer.
    Ah, I thought so, thicker core and CF skins - that's the one I'm looking forward to.
    Account Deleted

I'm Dave.

The RP8 is constructed from some form of hard foam with a Phenolic skin. The arm braces are a Magnesium alloy or somesuch. The result is very rigid but extremely lightweight. It almost floats out of the carton.

What surprised me was that just about every component is new - nothing carried over from previous models.

What is the base made of? A plexiglass?
    What is the platter made of?
    I really don't see too much for the $2600 price US.
    Pathos Classic One MKII, Marantz SA15 S2 Ltd, Usher CP6371, Clearaudio Emotion, CMB, Carbon Satisfy arm, Vista Audio Phono 1 MKII ACLE, Dyna 10x5, AT OC9ML/II, Ortofon X5MC, All WyWires.

synsei Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bacobits View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave
    The RP8 is constructed from some form of hard foam with a Phenolic skin. The arm braces are a Magnesium alloy or some such. The result is very rigid but extremely lightweight.
    Rega are to be applauded for designing a completely new turntable, especially during such tough economic times and for a market which does show some growth but who's future is far from certain. Well done Rega. Nice looking deck too by the way.

I'm PETER.

Quote Originally Posted by bacobits View Post
    No Den you are right, it doesn't make any sense in your market, you can buy a VPI Classic for $2800 which is much better t/t than ANY Rega.
    Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation. Oscar Wilde, De Profundis, 1905 ...

synsei Guest

That is a bit sweeping Peter, shouldn't you at least listen to one first before making such statements? I'm not a huge fan of Rega either, but this deck appears to be in a different league to their previous efforts...

I'm Simon.

I wonder why they don't do more to make a torturous path between motor and bearing, it would seem the more circuitous the route for any noise from the motor to reach the bearing the better.
    Last edited by sq225917; 18-10-2012 at 08:38.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Mike.

Seems like the arm on yer first pics is a bog standard Rb-300?
    Have Rega abandoned the three point fixture?
    Regards Mike

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast