+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Rega RP8

I'm John.

I bought an RP8 and it arrived yesterday. It was originally an Apheta-fitted model- the dealer removed the Apheta and sold me the turntable.

The slots on the headshell are too narrow: cartridge screws tap out the slot as they are installed, and can't be adjusted for overhang. Also, the heavy plastic (??) coating on the RB-808 arm was permanently deformed by the mounting of the Apheta.

I have no idea why Rega has taken this approach (unless they want to restrict this product to their cartridges), but I had to return the RP8. I'm not happy.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Did Rega tighten the Apheta up this much, or did the dealer fit and then remove the cartridge? Should have bought it with Apheta cartridge - sounds amazing as long as the MC phono stage can take it without the treble taking off.

Seriously though, I'd give a call to Rega (their distributor) and arrange to send the pic for their comments. I know it's up to the dealer, but Rega may take pity on you.

The coating on the pipe is indeed quite heavy and I should warn that if the third hole is used with Rega cartridges, it will leave a mark after. Actually, the Exact cartridge seems to have taken on a whole new lease of life with this latest generation of decks, the existing fine mid and treble being tempered with a far clearer bass than I remember of old..

Good luck.....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Barry.

That is disappointing as the Apheta is a Rega cartridge, something not quite right there

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789