+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Amazing vintage belt-drive T/T

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Quote Originally Posted by Rare Bird View Post
    Nat your just not getting it..There for forget it chaps.. The example was to re enforce what marco said
    I can only go by the words in your post

Appears to reinforce the opposite of what Marco said.

I like live drums, no love live drums. My sound memory tells me i'd love it if I were there too. Hearing them recorded in a 'live' way, by ambient micing, reminds me of that sound memory and my brain responds with associated feelings.

A certain type of suncream reminds me of skiing and the associated emotions and excitment come rushing back - that's the essence of expectation bias.

EVERY AND ANY turntable youtube clip should be good enough to portray live drums on a recording, or the difference between a trumpet or frenchhorn. The sound of a turntable itself is more subtle, hidden by the sound of the recording itself in many ways. The way youtube clip is filmed and compressed is going to have a larger magnitude of influence on the final sound over and above the total system sound let alone the sound of the TT within that system..

Easy to jump to many conclusions and then allow the associations to flow and in turn a coloured emotional response. Not a bad thing, unless one is claiming they are immune from it.

But hey, maybe you're not getting it? ("maybe" - notice I'm not telling you how you're thinking) Let's forget it as you say...

I'm Nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by nat8808 View Post
    They do. If they want that sound, that's how you get it.

Marco was talking about telling the quality of sound from a deck playing a record via a youtube clip, not the style of recording of that record itself. Andre was backing that up with his clip..
    I was trying to show it as an example through clip that i bet that drum kit sounds great even though the sound is bad, i can just tell it sounds good, the same way Marco can tell that turntable sounds good even though the clip SQ aint great.

It's nothing to do with live drums or how i like to hear them it's about telling through a clip regardless of if it's bad SQ or not. Call it magical powers if you will.

I'm Deleted.

I wouldn't call it magic - wishful thinking isn't magic after all (though it is mighty powerful).
    Account Deleted

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

I was trying to show it as an example through clip that i bet that drum kit sounds great even though the sound is bad, i can just tell it sounds good, the same way Marco can tell that turntable sounds good even though the clip SQ aint great.

It's nothing to do with live drums or how i like to hear them it's about telling through a clip regardless of if it's bad SQ or not. Call it magical powers if you will.
    S'ok, dude, we know that we're the chosen ones....

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Proove it ! Oh... no-one can. Can't show that the Rek-o-Kut sounded good either (they might in general, perhaps, but that particular one might have been shagged, the cartridge on its last legs, but fortunately the mic on the video recorder masked everything!)

So we're left to just the imaginary and lot of self-belief.

That's a nice world to live in though, so don't go a-changin' ! Imagine being poor us, only hearing the poor video sound.

I'm Nobody.

Jesus i will argue this till i'm blue in the face Why are you lot not getting this or is it your moulded in some kind of hifi directive?
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 03-11-2012 at 00:24.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789