+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What next? Amp & CD

Quote Originally Posted by John View Post
    you could get a simple splitter connector to allow you have two inputs going into the DAC
    Would someone tell me more? Is it possible to combine two S/PDIF signals into one RCA socket or one optical socket on a DAC?
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Nick.

Brian,

Maplin have a few swtiches that allow you to route multiple digital sources into one DAC:

Digital Optical Coaxial Audio Switch Box > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97934

3-Way Optical Digital Audio Switcher > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35241
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    Brian,

Maplin have a few swtiches that allow you to route multiple digital sources into one DAC:

Digital Optical Coaxial Audio Switch Box > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97934

3-Way Optical Digital Audio Switcher > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=35241
    And how well do they pass the signal?
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm ILOB.

I only used them once so cannot really remember clearly but did not seem to cause major issues if memory serves me right
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

I'm Nick.

I must admit that I've not needed to try them myself, but at those prices you can afford to take a punt really...
    Nick
    My system...

I'm ILOB.

What I had was a lot simpliar version basiclly a brass body (only cost a couple of pounds although got mine free) with two inputs I just tried it and no noticable sound degrade.
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

The beresford DAC provides 2 co-ax and 2 optical, simply press the button for the source you wish the listen to.

I'm Nick.

How useful these swtiches are depends on how many sources you need to connect up, but you're completely right on the Beresford, Phil.
    Nick
    My system...

Quote Originally Posted by keeper View Post
    The beresford DAC provides 2 co-ax and 2 optical, simply press the button for the source you wish the listen to.
    Yes, I know. I press those buttons many times a day!
    Brian

I'm Nick.

Quote Originally Posted by keeper View Post
    Tried the CD through the DAC, you get 4 inputs, to be honest the CD actually sounds better, just a little brighter.
    I know this is a bit off-topic, so forgive me. I thought it'd be interesting to make a couple of comments about Apple TV. I have an Apple TV and it's a great piece of kit, but it's limited by 3 things:

1. Source files. Experiment with different lossless codecs. I assume you're comparing Apple Lossess, AIFF or WAV encoded files with your CD player?

2. Quicktime. It uses the basic Quicktime engine to play back anything, so you don't get the benefits of other Third Party playback tools like you do with an Apple laptop.

3. It resamples everything to 16 bit 44.1khz. This is fine for most purposes, if your sources are primarily from CD but annoying if you have stuff at other bit rates. Audio Midi allows OSX on laptops to reset the word length / frequency if you play high res files but Apple TV doesn't, at least not out of the box.

People have successfully hacked the Apple TV to get round this, though as with any non-standard software modification, caveat emptor. If anyone is interested in this there's more discussion of it here. It's a real shame Apple don't make these settings configurable in the Apple TV menu itself.

Main thing is experiment with different lossless codecs. There is a difference in sound from the different schemes, as Rob demonstrates in his 'Audio Output on OSX thread' (start at the end and work towards the front, he had a revelation a few months back that might be missed if you read it conventionally )
    Nick
    My system...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12