+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What next? Amp & CD

Default What next? Amp & CD

Hi

I'm looking to upgrade my Harmon Kardon AMP and CD.
    Budget is up to £1500 and they will pair with my Focal 806 speakers.

This must be a long term set up so want to make the right decision.
    I have a varied taste in music but currently like the warmth my system provides, would like extra detail and quality.

Been looking at the usual, ARCAM, Creek, etc.

What would you audition for £1500 approx to provide a system you would be happy with?

Cheers Phil

I'm Nick.

What HK amp have you got, Phil? And what CD. It'll help gauge what the new system will have to compete against
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    What HK amp have you got, Phil? And what CD. It'll help gauge what the new system will have to compete against
    Both are the 970's

I'm Paul.

Has your CD player a digital output?? To squeeze more performance from your budget you could look into a DAC and an amp instead. Of course Stans Beresford DAC would seem a good bet. It would seem than people usually only change these in order to buy the next version up. This would leave you well over £1300 for an amp. Other dacs to consider are Benchmark non usb & Russ Andrews. I've heard good things about these but not heard them myself though.

The only question left then is whether you will go for valves or solid state for the amp.
    ~Paul~

Yep, I already have a Beresford DAC which I use to connect my Apple TV to the amp.

Cheers Phil

I'm ILOB.

Well in that case its worth trying to hear what the CD Player sounds like going through the DAC you could get a simple splitter connector to allow you have two inputs going into the DAC and then that will leave most of money to get a good sounding amp
    You could get a nice valve amp which should be a good bit more musical to your ears
    I might even have a spare splitter i could send you no promises but used to have a spare one lying around
    Loves anything from Pain of Salvation to Jeff Buckley to Django to Sarasate to Surinder Sandhu to Shawn Lane to Nick Drake to Rush to Beth Hart to Kate Bush to Rodrigo Y Gabriela to The Hellecasters to Dark Sanctury to Ben Harper to Karicus to Dream Theater to Zero Hour to Al DiMeola to Larry Carlton to Derek Trucks to Govt Mule to?

Humour: One of the few things worth taking seriously

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

One other pairing for around your budget is the Cambridge 840 amp and CD. I haven't a clue whether you'd like the neutral and pretty "accurate/truthful" presentation, but you get one hell of a lot of decent technology in these two and, boring as it sounds, if they were made by some bespoke audio "Salon," you'd pay triple for them..

I believe they're available on SOR and if this can be confirmed by your local Richer branch (if you're in the UK) I'd seriously give one or both of these a serious listen.

Just my tuppence worth...
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Yes was going to suggest the same-from your description of the sound you like,I think you may enjoy the sound of a valve amp,or at least a class A sand amp.

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

One more decent valvey suggestion for UK listeners - PURESOUND!

I like their CD player and the amp is a properly sorted Chinese import I understand. With the kind of backup you should get, this one's worth a punt as well.......

I can't wait until I get to hear Crofty's new pre and power for £1400, but this won't leave enough for a CD player. However, the DAC you have should be fine and leave you some saving funds for a good oldie turntable to play with.....
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

Tried the CD through the DAC, you get 4 inputs, to be honest the CD actually sounds better, just a little brighter.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast