+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Energy price rises

I'm Robert.

Never ending all this - Austerity, yearly fare rises, yearly fuel hikes, Endownments went down the toilet, Pensions are worthless, Global financial crisis, no pay rises in four years for the public sector etc etc etc - The system isn't working !!! Nothing really gets better, Quote Bob Marley from 'Them Belly Full' Natty Dread lp " Cost of living get so high, rich n poor they start to cry ............. (And that was back in 1974)

I'm steve.

Quote Originally Posted by chris@panteg View Post
    Prices were cut ? Did I miss that ? Well we are all in this together !

Does anyone here have a wood burning stove ? Might be time to invest in one , another hard winter on the cards .
    yes i got one fitted last year, its the best thing i've done in a long time, it took a couple of months to get used to it but to sit in a room and open the windows as its too warm when there's snow on the ground is quite something

our house was alway cold, i fitted under floor insulation at the same time what a difference that has made.

I have a chainsaw and a few trees that are now well pruned, or you need a cheap suppy of logs and places to dry them, but its a nice feeling having a couple of years heating stored in a shed..

we still have the central heating for the upstairs, ours has an upstairs and downstairs circuit so it works well with the stove.
    highly recomended...
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

I'm John.

We’re using wood burning stoves in Catalonia.
    There are five in total, three of which are in constant use over the winter months.
    Where we are, it costs around one hundred and thirty Euros to have delivered one ton of wood cut to a suitable size. On average, the house, granny flat etc consumes five tones a year.
    There is about eight acres of woodland consisting primarily of the local quick grow oak and pine on the farm which is apparently easily enough to managed as a sustainable wood source for the above consumption.
    It took me about twenty hours to fell, strip and cut one ton of wood last month.
    Single spur balanced Mains. Self built music server with 3 seperate linear PSU, Intel i5, 16 GB RAM no hard drive (various Linux OS). Benchmark Dac2 HGC, single ended XLR interconnects/Belkin cable. Exposure 21RC Pre, Super 18 Power (recap & modified). Modded World Audio HD83 HP amp. Hand built Monitors with external crossovers , Volt 250 bass & ABR, Scanspeak 13M8621 Mid & Scanspeak D2905/9300 Hi. HD595 & Beyer 880 (600 ohm) cans.

The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.
    -Bertrand Russel

John.

Location: Banbury, Oxfordshire/Panteg is where my late father was born

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by SPS View Post
    yes i got one fitted last year, its the best thing i've done in a long time, it took a couple of months to get used to it but to sit in a room and open the windows as its too warm when there's snow on the ground is quite something

our house was alway cold, i fitted under floor insulation at the same time what a difference that has made.

I have a chainsaw and a few trees that are now well pruned, or you need a cheap suppy of logs and places to dry them, but its a nice feeling having a couple of years heating stored in a shed..

we still have the central heating for the upstairs, ours has an upstairs and downstairs circuit so it works well with the stove.
    highly recomended...
    Thanks for that , we are hoping to get one installed soon , it's been a long time coming , my wife is determined to get it sorted , it's worth the hassle I think .
    Chris

We've gone on holiday by mistake !

I'm Steve.

Just fitted a new multi-fuel stove a couple of weeks ago. It is a Stanley Oisin. It is very much better than the one it replaced and was relatively cheap at £500 including flue and adapter. We still have quite a bit of peat that we lifted off the mountain last year and access to an almost limitless supply of wood plus we have coal too. The hob and the mock coal fire in the other lounge both run on bottled LPG. Of course, we also have oil (kerosene) which runs the central heating and hot water too if we want it. Don't talk to me about expensive fuel!
    Last edited by aquapiranha; 12-10-2012 at 23:11.
    They swim... the mark of Satan is upon them. They must hang.

FLAC / WDTV Live / Cambridge Audio / Tannoy VX12

I'm inthescottishmafia.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    We’re using wood burning stoves in Catalonia.
    There are five in total, three of which are in constant use over the winter months.
    Where we are, it costs around one hundred and thirty Euros to have delivered one ton of wood cut to a suitable size. On average, the house, granny flat etc consumes five tones a year.
    There is about eight acres of woodland consisting primarily of the local quick grow oak and pine on the farm which is apparently easily enough to managed as a sustainable wood source for the above consumption.
    It took me about twenty hours to fell, strip and cut one ton of wood last month.

Nice to see you around again John, hope you and yours are well.

I'm Neal.

Quote Originally Posted by daytona600 View Post
    Generate your own energy Put a pv solar system on your roof
    5grand for a 4kwp installed system
    Never get a bill again in your life
    Balls!
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Nobody.

Get used to it, 'look after number one'...it's a selfish world these days....It pains me to say this but that's what it's come to...
    Last edited by Rare Bird; 12-10-2012 at 23:30.

Location: North Cambs UK, Earth, Sol, Orion - Cygnus arm of galaxy

I'm MadeOfDeadGiantStarsThatExplodedEonsAgo.

Quote Originally Posted by daytona600 View Post
    Generate your own energy Put a pv solar system on your roof
    5grand for a 4kwp installed system
    Never get a bill again in your life
    & what happens when the sun don't shine?

IE it's night time

Are you going to suggest a shit load of huge lead acid cells to generate 230V 50Hz from?

NiCd? Whatever, these need serious maintenance & don't last forever, they cost a bomb & will need replacing maybe every ten years or less...

Nice try
    Bests, Mark

"We must believe in free will. We have no choice" Isaac Bashevis Singer

I'm steve.

Must say I did think of going the solar panel route, it all sounds too good be true, a bit like endowment mortgage in the 80's...

The ones with the longest guarantee are the expensive German made ones .... And they are only 15 years, a lifetime of service from a chinese panel seems rather unlikely , but you never know. ..
    collector and DIY user of old british triode valves

Open baffles / single ended diy px4 and px25 valve amps

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast