+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Iconoclast Cometh...

synsei Guest

I know what you mean. I remember watching this at the pictures with my jaw on the floor...

Quote Originally Posted by MCP
    You've enjoyed all the power you've been given, haven't you? I wonder how you'd take to working in a pocket calculator.

I'm Carlton.

What are the acoustic's like down there in "Hell Heart" not so good I should think... However they probably sell cheap wire coat hangers for speaker cable, which should keep your system sounding as good as any in the real world...

BTW... As you seem to have an extensive, almost encyclopedic knowledge of how to put together a seriously good system on a shoestring, how about sharing with us your hifi history.... If you've got one... How many silver wired systems have you actually listened too for comparison to the thrupence ha'penny marvel that sits in your living room...

Could it be that you spend all your time trawling through the nay sayers forums looking for any obscure blind test that proves once and for all that the Emperor has no clothes....

Good to here from you.... My Brother...

I'm Noonian.

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Tested View Post
    How about sharing with us your hifi history.... If you've got one... How many silver wired systems have you actually listened too for comparison to the thrupence ha'penny marvel that sits in your living room...
    Thus entereth the snob.

Notice the dig at my "thrupence ha'penny marvel". I've not spent £1000s so it MUST be rubbish. Just because I'm not taken in by the delusion that silver speaker cables terminated with Rhodium plated banana plugs MUST improve the sound: "I mean, how could they not? -They're so expensive!".

Never mind that the idea that stringing "Audiophile quality" cables between the standard 10 gauge copper wire/copper pcb wafer inside the amp and the standard copper/tin/polycarbonate materials that make up the crossover inside any given speaker could possibly make the slightest bit of difference is just a little silly.

If we adhere to the logical rule that a signal path is only as good as it's weakest link then what's going to happen to whatever magical audio properties that your silver cables have "preserved/added" as soon as the signal hits the thin tin legs of the crossover's first capacitor?

If you have an argument to make that can exist outside the bubble of "I can tell the difference because my ears are golden" then I am, as always willing to be contradicted

MartinT Guest

Quote Originally Posted by FromHellsHeartIStabAtThee View Post
    Why MUST a good Hi-Fi system cost £1000s?
    Khan lover, eh? So what did you think of the Star Trek reboot?

As for hi-fi having to cost £1000s, it isn't the case that all expensive hi-fi is good, however the unavoidable truth is that top quality components and build quality come at high cost, as does small scale manufacture. There is a limit, though, and five-figure components have a job justifying their existence.

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Welcome to AoS, Noonian

However, guys (Carlton and you), I really don't want to see any more of the confrontational exchanges, such as has just been witnessed, otherwise they will be binned and both of you will be on a week's ban.

We have no tolerance whatsoever for that sort of argumentative nonsense on AoS, where both high-end and budget systems are welcomed and discussed throughout the forum.

I trust that I've made myself clear!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

MartinT Guest

Oops, missed that exchange. Not cool, guys

I'm Glen.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    Welcome to AoS, Noonian

However, guys (Carlton and you), I really don't want to see any more of the confrontational exchanges, such as has just been witnessed, otherwise they will be binned and both of you will be on a week's ban.

We have no tolerance whatsoever for that sort of argumentative nonsense on AoS, where both high-end and budget systems are welcomed and discussed throughout the forum.

I trust that I've made myself clear!

Marco.
    Hi Marco, I know what they're posts seem like. But I assume you realise that they are the very best of friends. You should see how they wind each other up in fantasy football! It really is innocent banter, but I realise where you're coming from and where it could end up... I'll have a word and bang there heads together... The plebs!

I'm Noonian.

Many apologies for any ruffled feathers.

As Glenann said above what has been said between me and CrashTested, although written entirely deadpan is with tongues firmly in cheeks.

In future we will keep our vitriolic banter to the fantasy football forum.

When here we will remember to remove our sandals, for we are on holy ground

I'm Noonian.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinT View Post
    Khan lover, eh? So what did you think of the Star Trek reboot?

As for hi-fi having to cost £1000s, it isn't the case that all expensive hi-fi is good, however the unavoidable truth is that top quality components and build quality come at high cost, as does small scale manufacture. There is a limit, though, and five-figure components have a job justifying their existence.

1/ I thought it was TOP DRAW! The characters were perfectly cast, and the dialogue well written. After years of 'star trek by the numbers' being churned out, this movie brought back the magic.

2/ In truth, banter aside, I'm entirely in agreement with your summation of the world of HI-FI. I just feel that the standard at which you can say that you've got a 'capable' system is a lot less expensive than many would lead you to believe. Not to say that I believe my system couldn't benefit from a little more spending on it...

synsei Guest

Here's one for ST-TOS fans, it's a bit of a giggle

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast