+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Albarry M-408 repair and mods

Default Albarry M-408 repair and mods

Hi I am looking for a pair of Albarry M-408 or M-1008 mono blocks, I am not bothered if they are duff and in need of some internal attention provided the cosmetics are in very good to excellent condition, and have the Red Perspex front panels, cash waiting and I can collect within a reasonable distance from Oxford.
    PM me if you have any please.
    cheers
    Paul

Hi Ian

I have recieved your PM, many thanks, tried to respond but your "inbox" is full.

cheers
    Paul

I have now had a member of a fishy forum contact me and this weekend I will be the proud owner of a pair of Albarry M-408 mono blocks, sadly one of them has died but the cosmetic condition is virtually mint, so a repair will be quickly administered by myself and then I will have the full Albarry compliment, DMP1 pre-amp, APS1 pre power supply and 2x M-408 mono blocks, I can't wait to get them all wired up and singing, I will post some pics when this happens, very 80's retro with lovely red perspex front panels. thanks to anyone who mailed with info, this thread is now

I'm InSpace.

Thumbs up

Good show!

We await piccy's with anticipation.
    Shian7
    --------------------------------------------------------

Kudakutemo
    kudakutemo

ari mizu-no tsuki

Though it be be broken -
    broken again - still it's there:
    the moon on the water.

- Choshu.

I'm Buffet-blower.

Oooh nice.

I remember hearing these many years ago at the Swiss Cottage hifi show - L-07D turntable with the Alberry amps into a pair of those huge Allison corner-situ'd speakers. Laavely.
    Richard.

Round & round bits: LP12/Cirkus/Kore/Herc II/Roksan Nima/Hana EL
    Megabits: Bluesound Node 2i/TEAC UD-H01 dac
    Making it louder bits: Phonostage: Dynavector P75 Amp: Cyrus 8vs/PSX-R Speakers: Royd Sintra II
    Connecting it together bits i/c's: Flashback Premier. Speaker cables: Van Damme Hifi

I don't believe this last post
    Richard I was at the Swiss Cottage Audio Show back in the late 80's, possibly '87, Albarry had a room of their own and these amps were playing and stole the show for me, somehow they stayed with me all these years and for the past couple of years I have been hankering after the complete set-up, I just remember that the sound just grabbed you by the balls and I couldn't leave the room, and the red glow from the front panels gave them the look and feel of valve amps.
    My search is now over and I can't wait to see/hear if my memory has been playing tricks with my mind, they have a huge cult following in Italy and there are some dedicated affectionardos here in the UK that swear by them, I hope that I will not be dissapointed after all this time, thanks for the post Richard, and memories of a great Hi-Fi experience.
    Paul

I'm Dave.

Well done Paul, glad you got a pair. I'd be really interested to hear what you think of them.
    Dave

Hi Dave

Yep finally have the little Red beasts, picked them up yesterday from a fellow PFM'er from Bristol, one is in need of a repair but at least I have the other to use for reference to help the repair as no circuit is available for the M-408's.

Actually Dave you could possibly answer a very simple question for me, when you power them up are both lights on the front panel lit all the time or only the power LED light, one of mine has the protection LED out, but not too sure whether this is the faulty one or not.

While I am here does anyone have any info on these amps by way of schematics, board layout, or just general info, I know their heritage so do not need to know their history etc, but any help with circuits or layout would be most welcome, if not then it is a long and arduous task of reverse engineering them from scratch, arghhhhhhhh !!!!
    Paul

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

I think there was DC on the output of the faulty one, so don't go connecting up your vintage BBC speakers to them..

As I remember, only one light illuminated when they were running......
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Duncan.

Default albarry circuits

Hi
    I have some diagrams of these amps, might help.
    They have a badly designed protection circuit which you can remove.

Duncan

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast