+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Denon AH-D2000. Worth changing cups to woodies?

I'm colin.

Default Denon AH-D2000. Worth changing cups to woodies?

I know there is a few Denon owners in A.O.S land , some of you with the 7000 model with the glossy mahogany cups, a pair of which could come my way soon.
    \Anyone think it might be worth tinkering with the plastic cups ? Im interested not just for the looks but for any acoustic benefits. The cups may well set me back £150!
    Technic 1210, PS3, AVI neutron 2.1, Icon Audio p1 phono stage.

I'm Mike.

As an owner of both models i would say that you wont be getting a pair of AH-D7000 by adding wooden cups to a pair of 2000's. You will of course change sound though, but i'm not certain it will automatically be better?
    Wooden cups do look classy though!

Regards Mike

I'm colin.

Thanks mike. That was what i was looking for. Guess im going to save up for the real thing.

I'm Mike.

Well, the differences between them are obvious in standard form. The 7000's have a clarity and fluidity in their mid/highs along with an exceptional bass that makes them a real joy! On the other hand the 2000's little more aggressive approach can be very convincing on some music. They are a little leaner in the bass though, and do not go as low as their bigger brethren. (Which also may be apprpriate, depending on music choice)

I also use a pair of Sennheiser HD-650 and they have their advantages also, mainly their bigger sense of 'air' and a great punch in the upper bass. Mostly i feel they are a bit dull though...

Good luck with your choice and please report back if you do decide to try the "wooden route"!
    Btw is that from Mark Lawton?

Regards Mike

I'm colin.

Yes your right they ere from Mark lawton. They went for 100 quid in the end.
    After you comment i decided to put the cash towards a 7000 saving fund.
    Seen them on the web for £600 but i better not hang around as they are discontinued,
    What do you make of the Mark l mod?

I'm Mike.

Hi Colin
    Sorry, but i havent heard any MarkL modded Denons yet...
    All i know in this regard is that i don't feel anything is missing at the phones' respective pricepoint.

Regards /Micke

I'm colin.

I agree. If there is an imperfection for me it would be the 2000s get a bit grainy during complex passages in classical music.
    I like the way they rattle my brain when listening to something like dub music

+ Reply to Thread