+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Why you must buy a SUT, Step Up Transformer

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I agree, Dave, but you have to remember that Mike's using a Naim 500 power amp.

Marco.
    I know.

If the concerns are using a NAP 500 with anything other than a Naim pre, then he's already got the system sorted with his present arrangement. However, over the years I have sold many different pre's with Naim power-amps, with no probs.

It's a bit more problemmatical using a Naim pre with other power-amps but even this can be accomplished.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    I know.

If the concerns are using a NAP 500 with anything other than a Naim pre, then he's already got the system sorted with his present arrangement. However, over the years I have sold many different pre's with Naim power-amps, with no probs.

It's a bit more problemmatical using a Naim pre with other power-amps but even this can be accomplished.
    How is this done, broadly if a complicated answer ?
    Is it simple and *not* going to add boxes, work arounds, tweaks and
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Quote Originally Posted by hifi_dave View Post
    You've probably experimented more in that area than I have, so I'll bow to your greater experience, but whenever I've tried it, I've never been happy with the results of using a non-Naim preamp with a Naim power amp, or vice versa, providing one wants to hear what the likes of a NAP 500 can do, when used in its intended sonic environment.

The only Naim components I've had consistent success with using outside of Naim systems, is their CD players, which are superb and can easily slot into many other types of high-quality systems, as indeed is the case with those from Rega.

However, I'm not saying that Naim preamps or power amps can't be bettered - far from it - otherwise I'd still be using my old Naim system, without having moved on considerably from it with the system I've got now!

My advice to Mike would be not to make any changes to the heart of his system until I've visited him and brought down my modded Croft preamp, which we can then try with his NAP500, and he can judge the results for himself. Trust me, if that doen't work with his power amp, and considerably improve on his current preamp, then I doubt that any other Croft preamp will.

Mike, I'm hoping to get down to your place sometime early next month

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    You've probably experimented more in that area than I have, so I'll bow to your greater experience, but whenever I've tried it, I've never been happy with the results of using a non-Naim preamp with a Naim power amp, or vice versa, providing one wants to hear what the likes of a NAP 500 can do, when used in its intended sonic environment.

The only Naim components I've had consistent success with using outside of Naim systems, is their CD players, which are superb and can easily slot into many other types of high-quality systems, as indeed is the case with those from Rega.

However, I'm not saying that Naim preamps or power amps can't be bettered - far from it - otherwise I'd still be using my old Naim system, without having moved on considerably from it with the system I've got now!

My advice to Mike would be not to make any changes to the heart of his system until I've visited him and brought down my modded Croft preamp, which we can then try with his NAP500, and he can judge the results for himself. Trust me, if that doen't work with his power amp, and considerably improve on his current preamp, then I doubt that any other Croft preamp will.

Mike, I'm hoping to get down to your place sometime early next month

Marco.
    Delighted to try out the Croft here
    The SUT is likely to keep me very happy for a month
    TAD CD / DAC / Pre, Technics 1210, MCRU PSU, Mike New Bearing & Platter, Stillpoints LP1 weight, Speedy Steve Ebony armboard, Fidelity Research FR64FX arm, Ortofon SPU. Aurorasound VIDA Phono Pre Amp, TAD Power Amp, TAD E1 speakers. Coherent RTZ 3 Grounding box, Coherent grounding cables, Creaktiv racks. Coherent Mains Cables. SR Blue Fuse. Interconnects : Coherent and Yannis 223.5 Connect Litz. Coherent speaker cable. Audio Magic Transcendence Conditioner. Coherent mains socket. Mains Filters : , PS Audio Harvesters, Russ Andrews Purifiers, Tacima, Vertex. Black Ravioli and RDC supports. Electric Beach S1NX platforms for TAD CD and Technics. Ferrite chokes everywhere except the above. Ears, brain

Mike

I'm fuckoff.

Lol you've been on a right gear mission as of late, bet everything's sounding considerably better than say 2 months ago?

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by realysm42 View Post
    Lol you've been on a right gear mission as of late, bet everything's sounding considerably better than say 2 months ago?
    Serpently have

Give me a problem and I start looking for a fix !

I have had some very nice improvements and this has topped the lot.

I blame the bigger boys Marco and Martin for leading me astray

and this started with the Karma/LP12 problems and the 'reassuringly expensive' fix suggest by Infedility

I started on the new bike trail when I had to replace a broken mudguard......

Mike

I'm Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMusic View Post
    How is this done, broadly if a complicated answer ?
    Is it simple and *not* going to add boxes, work arounds, tweaks and
    With the appropriate incons, you can use a Croft with the NAP 500.

I'm Steve.

Nice SUT, I think that once you hear what that SUT can do into a really nice valve MM Phono stage, into a really nice valve Preamp, there really would be no going back
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

I'm AudioAl'sArbiterForPISHANTO.

Hi Steve,

Don't I know it, mate!

But it has to be done right....

Nice to see you posting here again. Hope life is treating Maria and you well... Still loving my ebony armboard!!

Marco.
    Main System

Turntable: Heavily-modified Technics SL-1210MK5G [Mike New bearing/ETP platter/Paul Hynes SR7 PSU & reg mods]. Funk Firm APM Achromat/Nagaoka GL-601 Crystal Record Weight/Isonoe feet & boots/Ortofon RS-212D/Denon DL-103GL in Denon PCL-300 headshell with Funk Firm Houdini/Kondo SL-115 pure-silver cartridge leads.

Paul Hynes MC head amp/SR5 PSU. Also modded Lentek head amp/Denon AU-310 SUT.

Other Cartridges: Nippon Columbia (NOS 1987) Denon DL-103. USA-made Shure SC35C with NOS stylus. Goldring G820 with NOS stylus. Shure M55E with NOS stylus.

CD Player: Audiocom-modified Sony X-777ES/DAS-R1 DAC.

Tape Deck: Tandberg TCD 310, fully restored and recalibrated as new, by RDE, plus upgraded with heads from the TCD-420a. Also with matching TM4 Norway microphones.

Preamps: Heavily-modified Croft Charisma-X. LDR Stereo Coffee. Power Amps: Tube Distinctions Copper Amp fitted with Tungsol KT-150s. Quad 306.

Cables & Sundries: Mark Grant HDX1 interconnects and digital coaxial cable, plus Mark Grant 6mm UP-LCOFC Van Damme speaker cable. MCRU 'Ultimate' mains leads. Lehmann clone headphone amp with vintage Koss PRO-4AAA headphones.

Tube Distinctions digital noise filter. VPI HW16.5 record cleaning machine.

Speakers: Tannoy 15MGs in Lockwood cabinets with modified crossovers. 1967 Celestion Ditton 15.

Protect your HUMAN RIGHTS and REFUSE ANY *MANDATORY* VACCINE FOR COVID-19!

Also **SAY NO** to unjust 'vaccine passports' or certificates, which are totally incompatible with a FREE society!!!

I'm Steve.

Cool - Been busy with work and other, er, um internet sites

Course added SPU'ness would be good to the above Xmas list too
    System: Turntable : SP10 MKII slate plinth, Custom Ebony tonearm board, Arm : Fidelity Research FR64s, Cartridge : SPU Royal N. SUT : Lundahl 1:13. Phonostage : Icon Audio, Streaming RPi/Kali reclocker -> I2S -> DSP XO / Pre / 4 DAC's : WAF Najda, 5 Poweramps : 3 x EL84 SET's, 2 x D class amps on bass channels, Speakers : 5 way front loaded horn system: 2 X Tapped sub 15" LF drivers / 2 X Exponential mid bass 15" drivers / Tractrix 200Hz mid horns with JBL2482's, / Tractrix 550Hz upper wooden horns with factory refurb'd Vitavox S2's / Raal Lazy Ribbons as high frequency tweeters. Wires: good silver or good copper where best suited. DIY RCM.

Maker of tonearm boards, armpods, Tannoy GRF style speaker cabinets, horn speakers, counterweights and more.
    For more information about my creations and products please click below

http://fosworld.wixsite.com/magna-audio & on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/magna_audio/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast