+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 69 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Which Tannoys, folks?

I'm Paul.

Default Which Tannoys, folks?

Tannoy Glenair 15" or Tannoy Turnberry SE (Prestige) and why?

Recently heard the DC10a's and a while back had the pleasure of hearing some 15" monitor golds in York cabs.

The DC10a's I wouldn't give tuppence for...absolutely dreadful; the old timers were wonderful in a warm and cuddly fashion. The only one's I haven't heard that I'd like to are the two mentioned above. Opinions?

I'm Rob.

I have heard the Turnberrys at Scalford the first year, were great.
    I think the prestige line is more highly thought of over the Glenair models (with the Glenair 10 anyway).
    Michell Mycro / AT33PTG/II | Ray Samuels F-117 Nighthawk | Yamaha CD-NT670D | Bryston B60R | ATC SCM10

I'm Josie.

Why not buy some Vintage Monitor Golds? They are fully serviceable and imo certainly sound better than the Glenair.. I've only heard the Turnberry SE's once or twice. They did sound nice.

I've spent the last 4-5 months experimenting with the crossovers for my MG's with components and layouts I'm utterly taken aback to the magic the MG's can do. And I'd say for definite that the sound surpasses the Glenairs hands down.

btw. I heard the Glenairs in a very similar sized room to mine using Croft amps, near as dammit to mine too... Not impressed at all.

But I don't want your thread to turn in to some vintage ramble so I'll leave it there... lol

Just a thought.

Anyway, if not the vintage route then I'd got for the Turnberry's. Much more lush sound to my ears.

btw.. I need to ask some q's on Talk 3 cable so I'll send you a PM.
    Last edited by The Black Adder; 05-10-2012 at 08:07.
    Ultrafide U500DC power amplifier - Croft Vitale )highly modified) - TRIO L-07D Turntable - Denon DL103C1 - Funk Firm Houdini - Lentek MC head amp - 15" Tannoy Monitor Gold Loudspeakers in Lockwood Major cabinets (From Trident Studios) - Tannoyista SPEC 3 Custom Crossovers - VanDamme Black Speaker Cable

Tannoyista.com
    - Audio Equipment Reviews
    Facebook

I'm gone.

Listen for yourself, then decide.

Asking somebody which speakers would suit you does not take into account your own circumstances and personal taste.
    Just look at the NS1000M. Not everybody's cup of tea. Just ask JLAND100. I took his off him a few years ago because he just could not get on with them. But I have never looked back since then. And they are now worth close to three times the price he sold them to me for . But that's a separate issue.

I'm gone.

Personally, I couldn't live with any Tannoy DC I have heard (and I've heard a fair few).

Just goes to show that we're all different and, especially with speakers, we have to make our own minds up.

My advice to Paul is to take up speaker box-swapping - buy used and if necessary sell at the same price, and see what you like in your system, with your music, over the longer haul.

I'm Stu.

Great big horns!!! :-)
    I reckon the best bit of advice is the last comment from Jerry - buy loads second hand until you find something that matches you, your room and budget.
    A few ago I went through a similar process (though on a less grande scale). I had Audio Physics, Celestion A1 (Lovely speakers and shouldn't have sold them), Lowthers, Linn (and no doubt others I can't recall) and finally settled on an ancient pair of Japanese bookshelf speakers...though i must say they must have blooming big bookshelves in Japan - The Victors have been with me for 2 years now and MAY get moved out later today in pref' for something new i'm trying.
    Hifi Pig snoofling out what's hot in hifi.

I'm Paul.

Thanks chaps for all the feedback but one or two guns being jumped here

I would not in the future buy any loudspeaker without auditioning, it's not worth the risk plus I am not (yet) decided on changing my own loudspeakers. They're too close to a good compromise (isn't it all?) to let go just yet.

I was interested in the differences between Tannoy models as interest was piqued talking with someone last week who has spent a great deal of time and trouble building up his own refurbished 15 inch MG's with new cross-overs and cabs. he reckoned that the best way with Tannoys was old drivers (don't make 'em like they used to...sound familiar?) with modern crossover components.

I heard some DC10's recently and was left very under-whelmed, and years back remember the big bouncy sound I once heard emanating from some Lancaster cabs (not one of my favourites). The only models I've never come across in the flesh have been the Prestige range, including the Glenairs.

What intrigued was that if Glenairs use the same drivers (Tulip wave guides) and x-overs as up to the Turnberry range (they seem to get all ALnico/pepper-pot after that and the price tag goes stratospheric too) what is the reason for the Glenair being the black sheep of the range...a marmite speaker to divide opinion if ever I've come across one?

I have the opportunity of listening to some Turnberrys at the weekend so out of curiosity I will, just to see what all the fuss is about.

I'm Nat-andthat'swhyIdrink.

Quote Originally Posted by Reffc View Post
    Thanks chaps for all the feedback but one or two guns being jumped here

I would not in the future buy any loudspeaker without auditioning, it's not worth the risk plus I am not (yet) decided on changing my own loudspeakers. They're too close to a good compromise (isn't it all?) to let go just yet.
    No-one ever said to get rid of you others before getting in the next pair! I..err don't.. and can't move in my flat.

I'm andrew.

I haven't heard the glenair models, but i have heard the turnberry se, and i liked them so much i bought some! Considering the size of the speaker, the bass quality/quantity is superb, and doesn't boom when placed close to room boundaries, even in my small/medium 5 x 4 metre room. I did notice the famous tannoy dc sharpness, which can be reduced by pointing the speakers down the room, instead of toed in facing the hot spot, as advised in the owners manual. So just point them down the room and enjoy!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 69 1231151 ... LastLast