+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Which 5 albums have you played the most?

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Defines you a little bit I think.

I mean I know what you are saying, but the question is what you've played the most not your favourite 5.

It's all ridiculous anyway. I like Joni Mitchell and I like Wu Tang Clan and there is a lot of ground in between them.

Plus I have some records which are so sacred I don't like to play them too much. Hendrix for example. Axis Bold As Love - I never want to ruin that record for myself by listening to it too much. You've got to portion out the best stuff sparingly.

As regards Joy Division, 'Unknow Pleasures' is up there with 'Axis: Bold As Love' with records I'd play to aliens to convince them they should not destroy us. If I only got to play one it would be Axis though.
    Yes it can all be taken as some way of defining us but I dont like defining myself too much when it comes to music. I wouldn't want to be defined as mainly into a Manchester scene as it just happens that this seminal music came from artists in my local area

Ive kissed the bricks of Ian's house and I tend the grave site because something so deep and magical happened in those few short years.

I can listen to one of the live albums or even a bootleg and get more out of the experience than the well known studio album.

I wouldnt want to pick five albums and head off to a desert island...that way lies madness no matter how good the albums.

A moment of pure joy listening to Stockhausen or religiously based Choral music almost cant be defined. Im not religious for a start and some of Stockhausens work is more iffy than other stuff

I dont know what I have played the most as I dont keep count. I dont think anybody here can sum up who they really are in five albums so I dont even try. Big world out there and some great music. I cant keep up with it all and Ive yet to play many of the cds Ive gathered in.

Ive been a bit naughty by defining some of you as "mainstream" and a bit "Dire Straits" in your choices...when is Hotel California coming up Thats me being naughty because in a way people are over defining themselves.

To me music listening is more of a John Peels office scenario with huge boxes of unheard tapes. Its not an easy or neat way of listing my five most played albums....not alf pop pickers

Best wishes to everyone on the forum
    Martin
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 31-05-2018 at 17:35.

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel SE View Post
    Yes it can all be taken as some way of defining us I dont like defining myself too much when it comes to music. I wouldn't want to be defined as mainly into a Manchester scene as it just happens that this seminal music came from artists in my local area

Ive kissed the bricks of Ian's house and I tend the grave site because something so deep and magical happened in those few short years.

I can listen to one of the live albums or even a bootleg and get more out of the experience than the well known studio album.

I wouldnt want to pick five albums and head off to a desert island...that way lies madness no matter how good the albums

I dont know what I have played the most as I dont keep count. I dont think anybody here can sum up who they really are in five albums so I dont even try. Big world out there and some great music. I cant keep up with it all and Ive yet to play many of the cds Ive gathered in.

To me music listening is more of a John Peels office scenario with huge boxes of unheard tapes. Its not an easy or neat way of listing my five most played albums....not alf pop pickers

Best wishes to everyone on the forum
    Martin
    just make sure they are double albums
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Martin.

Back when the Wheatsheaf in Stoke was one of Europe's premier music venues and not a shitty Weatherspoons it was my mate's job to assess the demo tapes of the up and coming bands who wanted to play there. There would be a bin bag full each month so he roped me in to help out.

Not so easy to make a decent demo tape back then so a lot of them were done on budget Tascams or just with a ghetto blaster set on record. So you had to try and listen through that to see if they were any good. I didn't like the responsibility, really made me feel guilty chucking them back in the bag as 'No'. I mean who am I to judge? They had Oasis there before they were anyone, what if I'd rejected the next Oasis? Always wondered if John Peel felt that way and maybe that was why he played so much stuff that was totally out there.
    Current Lash Up:

TEAC VRDS 701T > Sony TAE1000ESD > Krell KSA50S > JM Labs Focal Electra 926.

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by struth View Post
    just make sure they are double albums
    Oh good I could take The Wall and Out Of the Blue then " Good morning worm your honour"

I could build a shelter from the gatefold artwork. I hope to hell there is a love interest on the island or Im pretty much stuffed making coconut effigies and listening to my 5 X 2 albums
    Last edited by Minstrel SE; 31-05-2018 at 18:17. Reason: spelling again

I'm Kim.

A moment of pure joy listening to Stockhausen or religiously based Choral music almost cant be defined. Im not religious for a start and some of Stockhausens work is more iffy than other stuff
    Hi Martin - would be very grateful if you could recommend some Stockhausen for me to start with. Perhaps PM me?

My five would be (from the last 20 years or so):

Wheat - Medieros
    Pavement - Crooked Rain
    Sparklehorse - Good Morning Spider
    American Football
    David Sylvian - Blemish

Maybe some Lambchop, Stars of the Lid, Glass Candy in more recent years.

Classical would be: Purcell's King Arthur, Angela Hewitt playing Bach's 48 Preludes & Fugues, a recording of Howells' Gloucester Service, something from Andrew Carwood's Byrd Edition and Hereweghe's recording of BWV 198

I'm openingabottleofwine.

Quote Originally Posted by yolakim View Post
    Hi Martin - would be very grateful if you could recommend some Stockhausen for me to start with.
    Stockhausen – ‘Stimmung’

Collegium vocale Köln
    DGG 2543 003

Stockhausen – ‘Auf den Seiben Tagen’

DGG 2661 298 (1973)
    Last edited by Barry; 01-06-2018 at 16:01.
    Barry

I'm Steve.

1. 'Electric Warrior' T. Rex
    2. 'School's Out' Alice Cooper
    3. Roxy Music first album
    4. 'Billion Dollar Babies' Alice Cooper
    5. 'Hunky Dory' David Bowie

These were the first five albums I ever bought, and were played so much because they were all I had. I still play 'Warrior' and 'Hunky Dory' quite often.
    I just dropped in, to see what condition my condition was in

T/T: Inspire Monarch, X200 tonearm, Ortofon Quintet Blue. Phono: Project Tube Box CD: Marantz CD6006 (UK Edition); Amp: Musical Fidelity A5 Integrated.
    Speakers: Zu Omen Def, REL T9i subwoofer. Cables: Atlas Equator interconnects, Atlas Hyper 3.0 speaker cables

T'other system:
    Echo Dot, Amptastic Mini One,Arcam A75 integrated, Celestion 5's, BK XLS-200 DF

A/V:
    LG 55" OLED, Panasonic Blu Ray, Sony a/v amp, MA Radius speakers, REL Storm sub

Forget the past, it's gone. And don't worry about the future, it doesn't exist. There is only NOW.

KICKSTARTER: ENABLING SCAMMERS SINCE 2009

I'm Kim.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Stockhausen – ‘Stimmung’

Collegium vocale Köln
    DGG 2543 003

Stockhausen – ‘Auf den Seiben Tagen’

DGG 2661 298 (1973)
    Thanks Barry - will check these out

I'm Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by yolakim View Post
    Thanks Barry - will check these out
    Youve caught me out really Kim as its mainly the Karlheinz Stockhausen that Radio 3 sometimes play. I wasnt writing it down but I was looking at the general cds available before I saw your post....Pricey So far from being an aficionado I just liked a few pieces I heard played on the radio...maybe the key word is "moments" of joy but some of it is unusually pleasant to listen to

I will check out Barrys recommendation and KS is perhaps one of the more difficult artists to experiment with without being confident of your choice. Have spotify got anything?...... I will have a look. I have been very lazy in checking it out and I must get on with it

It could be a bit of a marmite selection and liking one album is no guarantee of liking another. Let me see if I can sample some more on i tunes

I'm Kim.

Youve caught me out really Kim as its mainly the Karlheinz Stockhausen that Radio 3 sometimes play. I wasnt writing it down but I was looking at the general cds available before I saw your post....Pricey So far from being an aficionado I just liked a few pieces I heard played on the radio...maybe the key word is "moments" of joy but some of it is unusually pleasant to listen to

I will check out Barrys recommendation and KS is perhaps one of the more difficult artists to experiment with without being confident of your choice. Have spotify got anything?...... I will have a look. I have been very lazy in checking it out and I must get on with it

It could be a bit of a marmite selection and liking one album is no guarantee of liking another. Let me see if I can sample some more on i tunes
    I get where you're coming from Martin.

I have ordered a copy of the Theatre of Voices "Stimmung" CD on Barry's recommendation as I already have something by them that I like (Cage: Litany of the Whale). I'll also have a nose around on Tidal/Spotify.

I tend towards recent stuff at the more accessible end of the spectrum (Adams, Glass, Reich for example). I want to try/find more modern music and Stockhausen is on the list of composers I've made to investigate further.

Conscious that we run the risk of straying too far OT, but thanks for your comments.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678