+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Software media players tricks and tips

I'm mark.

Chris ...thanks for this info, the problem i always have when using WSAPI is that if i play a 24/96 file it tells me it's an unsupported format.........are there any solutions to this problem?

I'm AMusicFanNotAnAudiophile.

Quote Originally Posted by mrmark View Post
    Chris ...thanks for this info, the problem i always have when using WSAPI is that if i play a 24/96 file it tells me it's an unsupported format.........are there any solutions to this problem?
    What that means is that the playback device does not support the sample rate required for playback.
    I have the same issue with a desktop machine at home - it will not play 88.2, 176.4 or 192 files natively via the onboard audio device. When I add a device that can play the files (over USB) then it's quite happy playing the files over that particular device.
    Chris

Common sense isn't anymore!

What is likely to happen if you tried to play a 192kHz track through USB on a DAC that only supports USB up to 96kHz? Has anyone tried this, and if so what was the result?

I'm mark.

Chris many thanks for your reply........ trying to get my head around it, am a bit of a novice. When i open and select the Foobar output device options, it will play 24/96 when using the DS.primary sound driver, DS speakers(2usb audio codec), the ASIO....but not the WASPI (2usb audio codec).....
    Guess i don't really need to understand the reasons for this, as long as it's normal.......lol

Quote Originally Posted by mrmark View Post
    Chris many thanks for your reply........ trying to get my head around it, am a bit of a novice. When i open and select the Foobar output device options, it will play 24/96 when using the DS.primary sound driver, DS speakers(2usb audio codec), the ASIO....but not the WASPI (2usb audio codec).....
    Guess i don't really need to understand the reasons for this, as long as it's normal.......lol
    I take it you're using the sound devices on your PC?
    The machine will resample stuff it can't play to something it can play. So if it can't do 96kHz then it will resample to 48kHz.
    Using WASAPI stops that process taking place - the machine is effectively forced to deal with the file natively, and it can't, so you get the unplayable file stuff coming up.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by StanleyB View Post
    What is likely to happen if you tried to play a 192kHz track through USB on a DAC that only supports USB up to 96kHz? Has anyone tried this, and if so what was the result?
    Can't answer this one Stan - IIRC the Caiman doesn't support 96kHz so that's one DAC I have here out of the equation, and the only other device I have is an EMU 0404USB which is happy playing everything I throw at it.
    Chris

I shall post this question as a thread in its own right since it is of importance to me. I don't want to hijack this thread.

I'm Will.

Default foobar2000 Configuration...

Hi There foobar users, I normally use Winamp but have been messing around with foobar2000, just to see if I'm missing anything...

I'm currently running it on XP, using FLAC with my iFi Nano iDSD DAC/HPamp;

It's working fine via the iFi ASIO driver, I have a couple of questions;

1. Can I disable 'Volume Control'?, the only option I can see is to set it to 100% then remove the volume control icon from the main task bar. whereas in Winamp I can specifically disable it.

2. In Winamp I can can configure it to display by Genre/Album Artist/Album, I see no mention of 'Album Artist' in Winamp only 'Artist' which is a right pain in the posterior if you have a few compilations.

I'm still of the opinion that Winamp has a much better user interface, and when configured correctly provides at least equal SQ...perhaps I'm missing something

Cheers,

Will
    Cheers, Will

I'm Chris.

File->Preferences->Media Library->Album List

by Album %album%[ '['%album artist%']']|%title%[ - %track artist%]

by Artist %<artist>%|%album%|%title%

by Genre %<genre>%|[%album artist% - ]%album%|%title%[ - %track artist%]

by Artist/Album [%album artist% - ]%album%|%title%[ - %track artist%]

That oughta do it!

As for the volume control, set it to 100% and hide it.

ps. don't listen to a micro iDSD unless you can afford to buy one
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

I'm Will.

Cheers Chris, if the Nano is anything to go by the Micro must be terrific...
    Cheers, Will

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast