+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Software media players tricks and tips

I'm Marc.

The only difference between .wav and .aiff is the 'endianess' of the header file both are PCM wave files.

FLAC files are asymetricly encoded so all the processing goes in to the encoding (which is why there's a 'quality' setting when you encode, it doesn't affect the quality of the sound (they're all lossless) but it affects the resulting final file size - smaller file more processing to encode).

The processing power required to decode a FLAC is negligible and shouldn't cause even the slightest strain on any computer released after about 2005.

I'm Chris.

'Strain' on the computer is rendered irrelevent by the use of a USB Galvanic Isolator:

http://electronics-shop.dk/galvanically-usb_isolation

and a DAC which uses Asynchronous USB.

Beware some dodgy manufacturers (and I'm including some big names here) who work the word 'asynchronous' into their marketing drivel in devious ways. Their DACs might, for example, have asynchronous sample rate conversion (ASRC). This is completely unrelated to Asynchronous USB and is in any case not desirable. Sample rate conversion should be synchronous for best results. You might see weasel words like 'asynchronous signal processing' which is ambiguous meaningless bullshit. If it doesn't say 'Asynchronous USB' then it isn't and is best avoided.
    iFi ZEN Stream/TV/CXC >> RME ADI2 DAC >> XTZ Edge A2-300 >> Rogers LS8a

PC >> Hugo 2 >> iFi Pro iCAN Sig >> Raal-Requisite CA-1a

I'm Marc.

Quote Originally Posted by technobear View Post
    'Strain' on the computer is rendered irrelevent by the use of a USB Galvanic Isolator:

Yeah, I fitted one of these to a 486DX with 16meg of RAM and now I'm realtime editing video on it, mining bitcoins and running 'folding at home' too!

Seriously though, what is that, a transformer isolated usb socket?(!)

I'm Will.

and a DAC which uses Asynchronous USB.

Beware some dodgy manufacturers (and I'm including some big names here) who work the word 'asynchronous' into their marketing drivel in devious ways. Their DACs might, for example, have asynchronous sample rate conversion (ASRC). This is completely unrelated to Asynchronous USB and is in any case not desirable. Sample rate conversion should be synchronous for best results. You might see weasel words like 'asynchronous signal processing' which is ambiguous meaningless bullshit. If it doesn't say 'Asynchronous USB' then it isn't and is best avoided.
    Indeed Chris...

I've just replaced my danish USB isolator with this...

http://www.ifi-audio.com/en/iUSB.html

...although a damned site more cash, I think the purchase has been worth it, and that's with an M-DAC.

But I'll still use the isolator with my rPAC
    Cheers, Will

I'm Tom.

'Strain' on the computer is rendered irrelevent by the use of a USB Galvanic Isolator ... and a DAC which uses Asynchronous USB.
    Hi Chris,
    Could you elaborate on this a bit? That is, what is the relationship between galvanic isolation and any negative influence introduced by activity within the PC?
    I ask because, to my knowledge, my USB/SPDIF interface provides galvanic isolation and is asynchronous (in the relevant sense ) but still I'm using applications - like Fidelizer - to reduce the negative influence of activity within the PC, and they at least seem to improve things further (although the jury is out on memory play).

I'm Neal.

I cant see how a USB isolator like the one linked to above is any use other than to isolate the ground plane. Hash / noise on the signal lines and power line will still pass through the isolation Tx on each and be received at the DAC.

For a little more money you can get these true isolating boards that will fully isolate the DAC and can be powered by a clean linear power supply. A much better and more elegant solution IMHO.

http://www.circuitsathome.com/mcu/usb/usb-isolator
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

I'm Tom.

Quote Originally Posted by NRG View Post
    Hash / noise on the signal lines and power line will still pass through the isolation Tx on each and be received at the DAC.
    That was my experience. I had much better luck simply attaching a ground wire to the computer chassis and earthing it at the pre-amp terminal - no more noise

I'm Chris.

Quote Originally Posted by .mus View Post
    Hi Chris,
    Could you elaborate on this a bit? That is, what is the relationship between galvanic isolation and any negative influence introduced by activity within the PC?
    I ask because, to my knowledge, my USB/SPDIF interface provides galvanic isolation and is asynchronous (in the relevant sense ) but still I'm using applications - like Fidelizer - to reduce the negative influence of activity within the PC, and they at least seem to improve things further (although the jury is out on memory play).
    There are no absolutes in audio. Noise and distortion are never eliminated, only reduced. Less noise in equals less noise out.

I'm Tom.

I see, and do not disagree. I guess I misread your previous claim for a declaration of an absolute, since it suggested (to me) that an Isolator would eliminate the negative impact of 'strain' (PC activity), and that - as such - there could be no further benefit to be had in taking additional measures to reduce strain, such as playings uncompressed files. But clearly that's not what you meant.

I'm Chris.

For me, the isolator reduces the noise to a level where further action is not needed.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast