As mentioned in passing in another thread, this one is for users to mention any tips and tricks useful for media players like JRiver, MediaMonkey, Foobar Winamp etc. that they discovered or picked up.

I'll start off with the memory buffer in Media Monkey. I am using version 4.0.3 as a reference.

If you go to Tools -> Options -> Player -> Output plug-ins, you'll see a listing on the righthand side that shows you the available output plug-ins. I haven't installed the ASIO plug-in yet, but the OutWave plug-in has turned out to be very useful for high bitrate files. If you highlight it and then click on the Configure menu option just next to it, a new screen will open up. In that screen you have various options. Try them out, but the memory buffer increase is the one to pay attention to. I use 2000ms for the Buffer length, which has allowed me to play some difficult high resolution files. Because some of those files are 100MB or more, compared to maybe 40MB for a 16 bit/44.1KHz file, it is quite easy for the playback to suffer from buffering issues and reduced playback quality. You can mess about with the various buffers and then play some large files to compare. Once you hit the right spot the PBQ available is tremendous.