+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast

Thread: AlfaGTV's den

I'm Mike.

Default AlfaGTV's den

Yes, totally agree, i am a lost case! Hopefully better than a nut case!

I'm Mike.

Default AlfaGTV's den

A man can never have too many stand mounts:

Bought on a whim locally, the first and only previous owner had bought them in China, when he was working there.
    They are Compact Image2 MkIII if Google image translation were correct.
    I cant seem to find any information on the speakers as such, but Compact often builds their speakers using european drivers, with chinese craftsmanship. I think they have managed to create a decent enough stand mount, and sonically they are very nice!
    Not as open and punchy as the Yammies but very nice detailing, soundstage and surprising extension both in thhe top and bottom octaves.
    No wonder a lot of silly priced high end speaker manufacturers use the very same drivers, Scan Speak D2905/950000 tweeter and the iconic 18W/8545-00 midbass!
    All bought for 1/2 the cost of one new tweeter!

I'm Mike.

I need to look no further for my headphone needs:

Now, what might be a suitable power unit for these?
    Needn't be posh, or expensive. Just good!
    (Spent all my allowance this month.. )

I'm Robert.

Dont know what the speakers or headphones sound like Mike, but they both look bloody nice

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by RobbieGong View Post
    Dont know what the speakers or headphones sound like Mike, but they both look bloody nice
    Thanks Robbie!
    I do believe the speaker stands could have been a bit more substantial though, that would have made them more pleasing to look at imo.

The headphones are all you could ask for though, both looks and listening!

I'm Mike.

And the Hifiman HE-1000 have got a mate that can bully them about some!

This is the Schiit Jotunheim with built in RIAA!

It is a fully balanced headphone amp with plenty of output power, i think 5W for a pair of balanced headphones with an impedance of ca 30 Ohms.
    The Jotunheim is extemely quiet, even in high output mode, and provides enou grunt to drive the HE1Ks to unhealthy listening levels. Not that they excel in loud playing, but at the same time lack of distorsion is a very appealing incitament to turning up the volume "some more"
    And all of a sudden your better half screams at you across the living room, - Turn the volume down, i cant hear the TV!
    They are open, very much so! And with that comes an effortless way of presenting space, ambience and microdetail but at the same time they sound as much, or more on the outside!

Do you really want to hear what your favorite music sounds like?
    Are you sure? Not all music benefits, even if the HE1Ks are primarily musical and detail comes with the bargain so to speak.
    They do need serious amplification though and while i havent tried any of the amps above €1000 i think the Schiit Jotunheim is a serious contender far above its entry fee.

And my old casette deck head phone amp/DAC actually competes with the Jotunheim! The difference is bigger going from single ended to balanced on the Jotun than when changing between the Jotun and the Lehmann Black Cube Linear Clone single ended!
    I've heard som dismissive comments about the original Lehmann Linear and either that means my clone sounds a lot better, or the Jotun is mediocre, which i dont think.
    My clone has a much bigger PSU, at 60VA, and also its OPAmps are Burson Discrete modules. Perhaps that accounts for it's very competitive performance!

Anyone have any thought on headphone amps suitable for planar magnetic headphones?
    Please, speak up!

Cheers!, Mike

I'm Mike.

Oh, i also implemented the absolutely cheapest digital bridge i have ever had the pleasure of listening to!

Thats the miniscule NanoPi NEO at around £8 in its luxury version with 512Mb RAM! It has got I2S possibilities and audio out , but for now its acting as a Ethernet2USB audio bridge and you definently couldn't guess its price by the way it sounds!

I'm Mike.

In from the cold!

Felt for a wee change in the main rig so the Linn Sondek LP-12 got to play in the main rig for a while!

I was thinking of letting the Ittok LV II borrow the SME V original cable? It cant possibly be worse than the original Linn jobbie, could it?
    I was thinking both in the dressing department and sound quality.

Right now it sounds really OK, but has some mileage to cover before it competes with the Orbe SE. I do like the Delos though! Very nice cart!

I'm Mike.

For once i have aquired another turntable!
    No, i dont need another one, but this one is also quite interesting in many ways.
    Its one of these:

Pink Triangle LPT, "Little Pink Thing"
    It is in need of some TLC though so it might be awhile before any piccies show up.
    The included tonearm is a reasonably well constructed ADC LMF-2 which i think will be sold. I think i'll give it a try with my Michell Technoarm!

Feel free to add any comments about these players? They are kind of rare in Sweden...

I'm Mike.

Current collection of headphones;

As you may remember i recently had a pair of Sennheiser HD-700, but they didnt last long. I simply cannot get on with their "house sound"...

Most recent addition to the far right, Hifiman HE-400i.
    Excellent phones that really will work well as travelling companions along with a decent source. (No, im not talking about public transport. I want to have good sound along on holidays and such.)
    If you like insight, dynamics and resolution give them a listen.
    If you prefer some more slam, bass and dont mind a bit closed in stage and lesser resolution try the Fidelio X2. If you arent willing to compromise on any account, try the HE-1000 with proper amplification!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 27 FirstFirst ... 111920212223 ... LastLast