+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: AlfaGTV's den

I'm Gary.

Cool...
    This dac sounds bettter all the time.

24/96 from the Transporter over AES and native DSD from the Oppo over hdmi.

Sorted.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 14-09-2016 at 07:16.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Grant.

Quote Originally Posted by Gazjam View Post
    Cool...
    This dac sounds bettter all the time.l

24/96 from the Transporter over AES and native DSD from the Oppo over hdmi.

Sorted.
    What dac Gary?
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Grant, i believe Gary is referring to the discussed Audiobyte Black Dragon.
    It has got capabilities beyond the advertised one's and sounds really, really convincing!

I'm Gary.

Yeah,
    Mike said earlier he was very impressed with it and I think I may have found the upgrade for my Young without selling a kidney.
    Connectivity and future proofing built in too.
    Last edited by Gazjam; 14-09-2016 at 07:15.
    AC POWER
    Hardwired 10kVA balanced mains powering entire system
    AMPS
    Meridian 557 power Amp (Modded) / PS Audio BHK Preamp (Modded)
    SPEAKERS
    Wharfedale Evo 4.4
    DAC
    PS Audio Directstream (Modded)
    TURNTABLE
    Pro-Ject X8 balanced output via XLR / Ortofon Quintet Blue cartridge
    PHONOSTAGE
    Pro-Ject DS3 B balanced Input (TT and Phonostage powered by Pro-Ject Power box RS2 linear psu)
    DIGITAL
    OPPO 203 (Modded: Linear PSU, i2s output to Dac) - Roon Endpoint, HDMI input used for all things Streaming/ PS5 /AppleTV ... also good for movies apparently?
    MUSIC PLAYBACK
    Tweaked AP-Linux based Roon Server into Oppo 203 as Roon endpoint
    Ipad Roon Remote.
    Apple Music/ YouTube via AppleTV, fed to Dac via Oppo HDMI input/i2s output to Dac.
    SPEAKER CABLES
    Biwired: Duelund DCA10GA (Bass) Duelund DCA16GA (mid & treble) Duelund 12DCA used as jumpers (On
    "Blackcat Cable" Chris Sommivigo's advice - yup, even with biwire it sounds better - and it does)
    INTERCONNECTS
    All Balanced: Ghost+ recording studio XLR cables

I'm Mike.

Default AlfaGTV's den

Seems im in a "vintage" period:

Technics SL-P1200, almost 15kg of a CD-player!

I honestly think it sounds really nice!

I'm gone.

I had one of those Technics vintage CDPs for quite a while.
    You're right - they do sound good!

I'm Mike.

Today the Black Dragon were taken on a trip!
    It got the chance to replace an MSB Signature DAC V with matching Powerbase. As the MSB has got the Galaxy Clock and Analog input along with the stepped attenuator it normally works as a preamp.
    That meant the Audiobyte Black Dragon was to use its digital attenuator and act as digital pre i this short, but educational test!

To cut to the chase, the Audiobyte got to go home, not in shame, but with an honourable loss in its baggage!

The MSB adds resolution, soundstage width, height and depth as well as a bit more control in the bottom octaves. It does play a smidge less bass though which may give it a head start in todays system which edged on the bassy side.

Both of them play music, not hifi, and were very enjoyable to listen to!
    The Black Dragon does not do much wrong, it remains a highly recommended component for anyone in need of a versatile very good sounding DAC.

As a bonus is has a good, but not exceptional, level adjustment and a very decent headphone output and costs reasonable money.
    (You would need to double its cost, not two or three times, but four times to get close to the cost of the MSB rig)

Good fun on a sunday afternoon!

Oh, the power amp was MSB's 200W stereo item, speakers Lawrence Audio Penguin and cabling was Jorma Prime. A Kemp distributor provided power and all units were grounded with Entreq equipment.
    All in all a very, very well put together system for the guys and gals with bigger paychecks than mine!

I'm Mike.

Default AlfaGTV's den

I listen to quite a lot of music using headphones. I have had a few other variants than these, such as Sennheiser HD-650/HD-598, Denon AH-D7000, Hifiman HE-300 etc etc.
    But these are the ones that are currently in circulation:

From left:
    Philips SBC HP910, my first earopener that headphones and computers can really make some pleasant noise! Bought new around 1998-99?
    Denon AH-D2000, my go-to cans! They are robust, sound good and get you up and going! A little lacking in finesse, but do everything well enough.
    Sennheiser HD700, very new to me! Hoping these will change my aversion towards Sennheisers! They are on their way!
    Philips Fidelio X2, the kings of my throne, currently! Smooth, detailed and warm, but still well balanced. Excellent imaging very enjoyable!

This is good clean fun, listening through phones! I want my headphones to sound like good speakers in a good room! And a the moment only the Denons and the Fidelios do that. To me, the Sennheisers still have a peculiar voicing even if these are way better than anything ive heard from them before. (Listening to HD800 at some hifi show doesnt cut it, and what i heard wasnt so spectacular at that time)

I'm Mike.

My local dealer (that didn't sound quite right?) turned out to have in store a phono stage that i've been eyeballing for a while. Last time one was for sale was in may on this very forum, but i missed that one.

This one did not slip through my hands though:

Tom Evans Audio Design, The Groove 20th Anniversary

I had expected a subtle, but obvious improvement in phono playback.
    The change was anything but subtle, i can tell you!
    I have heard quite a lot of phono stages in reasonably known contexts, even the Master Groove in my friends system.

There is no doubt that the Groove and microGroove it replaced, are voiced in a similar manner, but the improvement was way bigger than i would have thought possible.

Soundstage grew to be humongous, if the recording demanded it, or a small jazz club it that was the subject. Bass is deeeep and extremely well defined without loosing power. And the resolution and depth is simply stunning. But the difference that is most staggering is the silence... I have always imagined vinyl playback would easily be detected in between songs and most often during, as vinyl playback has surface noise and of course some clicks and such.

It is gone! I dont know where it is hiding, but i dont want it back!
    The silence is deafening so to speak as you may turn the volume way up before you know whats coming out of the speakers.
    I have quickly learned this as i have shocked myself and my better half a few times already.

I have, for a fact , got a whole new vinyl collection that sounds as if someone has been through every record and exchanged it for a mint condition first pressing!

How can vinyl playback even be bettered from this?

I'm Peter.

That phonostage seems like a real result, Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mika K View Post
    You're even more hopeless than I am..
    Haha ... just read this whole thread, and that's exactly what I was thinking, too

Love the Technics cd player, btw.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 27 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 ... LastLast