+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: AlfaGTV's den

I'm Mike.

By no means was i disappointed or let down by my Lyra Delos or Benz Micro Wood SL, but that does not mean i'm willing to pass on an opportunity!
    So, this is what the occasion brought, a Dynavector XX-2 MkII!
    It's not even run in yet so it is bound to change it's sound i suppose, but i do like what i hear so far!
    Extremely smooth without loosing detail i'd say! Seems natural to my ears...

I'm Grant.

That looks really nice..not seen that un b4.
    Regards,
    Grant .... ؠ ......Don't be such a big girl's blouse

I've said it before and I'll say it again: democracy simply-doesn't-work
    .... ..... ...... ...... ................... ..... ..... ..... ..... .....
    FIIO K7 BT, M11 PLUS, BTR7, KA5 - OPPO BDP-103D - PANASONIC UB450 - PANASONIC 4K ULTRA HD TV - PIXEL 6 - AVANTREE LR BLUETOOTH - 2* X600 SOUNDCORE - HEADPHONES INCLUDE, FIIO, NURAPHONES', FOCAL, OPPO, BOSE, CAMBRIDGE, BOWER & WILKINS, DEVIALET, MARSHALL, SONY, MITCHELL & JOHNSTON - 2*ZBOOK'S- MERCURY BD ROM, ROON, QOBUZ, TIDAL, PLEX, CYBERLINK, JRIVER - MULTI HDD'S -

Oh my god! There's nothing wrong with the bidet is there?

“Nothing discloses real character like the use of power. It is easy for the weak to be gentle. Most people can bear adversity. But if you wish to know what a man really is, give him power. This is the supreme test. It is the glory of Lincoln that, having almost absolute power, he never abused it, except on the side of mercy".

“You see these dictators on their pedestals, surrounded by the bayonets of their soldiers and the truncheons of their police ... yet in their hearts there is unspoken fear. They are afraid of words and thoughts: words spoken abroad, thoughts stirring at home -- all the more powerful because forbidden -- terrify them. A little mouse of thought appears in the room, and even the mightiest potentates are thrown into panic.”

"You don't have free will. You have the appearance of free will.”

“There's a war out there, old friend. A world war. And it's not about who's got the most bullets. It's about who controls the information. What we see and hear, how we work, what we think... it's all about the information!”

***SMILE, BE HAPPY***

I'm Mike.

Thanks Grant, I'm getting to like this 'un a lot!
    It's getting some mileage and the sound is really to my taste. Somehow it takes the warmish presentation from the Benz and adds the slam, resolution and dynamics from the Lyra into one very nice package.
    /Mike

I'm Mike.

Here there have been some changes lately, mostly on the digital side.
    I p/x'ed my VTL TL pre for a Bladelius Embla Classic, yes, similar to the one i had before(why, oh why, did i even sell it?)
    This one is the biggest in the line though, with touch screen, CD ripping options and internal SSD storage.

And to be quite honest, this unit still sweeps the floor with all the DAC/Player options that have been through my system... Yes, it does have it's quirks, but they are all manageable.
    It is a CD-ripper/CD-Player/UPnP Media Player/USB HD File Player/DAC/AD Converter/Preamp etc etc.
    For convenience i bought a second hand BlueSound node for easy streaming, Internet Radio and Spotify Connect. This is connected to the Embla via TosLink (VdH Optocoupler) and sounds truly satisfying for all occations, save the very most critical.

And on the analog side i have layed my filthy paws on a 'new' Denon DL-103SA! It really is a different animal to it's cousins!

It has just done about 10hrs and have begun to come on song in a most surprising manner! No, it does not fully compete with my Lyra Delos, or the other expensive carts, but comes freakin' close, i'd say! It has lots of attitude and still a refinement thats not far from the others...
    I do believe that my introduction of some damping fluid in the trough on the SME V really worked well with this cart though!

I'm Mike.

Default AlfaGTV's den

A fresh view of the rack:

From top;
    Michell Orbe SE with Never Connected PSU, SME V and at this time Denon DL-103SA.
    Not in picture is a Tom Evans MicroGroove Plus X MkII.
    Bladelius Embla Classic digital source
    Karan KA L pre (Soon to be Mk II)
    Karan KA S180 power amp
    On the floor you can see a part of the Bluesound Node.
    Not pictured, Yamaha NS-1000M's
    Wiring is a mixture of Black Rhodium and NordOst power, Jorma Design interconnects and Tellurium Q speaker cable.

I'm Mike.

Default AlfaGTV's den

Have a couple of guests in my den atm.
    These are from the mid 90's and i belive they wanted a share of Sonus Fabers market share!

They are Aliante One HEX Limited...
    Note the external x-over mounted on the back of the custom stands!

Compared to my NS-1000, these have amazing imaging! But there seems to be some anomalies in the frequency response which i cannot enjoy thoroughly...

I'm Andy.

Mike, l used to run a DL103 in my SME V/Gyrodec and that combo rocked like a demon, I did not use the fluid damping but used an ART Q damper- sounded lovely.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Mike.

I agree Tarzan, it is a good combo!
    But, what is an ART Q damper? Is that a "shim" for mounting between cart and tonearm headshell? Carbon fibre?
    Found some hot debates about some other form of carbon fibre blocks from A.R.T. Q from some ten years ago!

I'm Andy.

Quote Originally Posted by AlfaGTV View Post
    I agree Tarzan, it is a good combo!
    But, what is an ART Q damper? Is that a "shim" for mounting between cart and tonearm headshell? Carbon fibre?
    Found some hot debates about some other form of carbon fibre blocks from A.R.T. Q from some ten years ago!
    Yes Mike that is the kiddie, it served two purposes- to add mass at the headshell, and to stop the back of the arm hitting warped records ( as you know the DL103 is a short cartridge), lord knows how the 103SA sounds on your Orbe, as l said really enjoyed my DL103 when l had it, so much so further down the line l would look at the Expert Stylus Company's DL103.
    System; Michell Gyrodec SE/ Orbe Clamp/ Gert Pedersen armboard mod/ HR PSU/ SME V / J7 Tonearm cable/Ortofon Cadenza Black// Jez Arkless Turbo nutter B------ /Trichord Dino+

Amplification and loudspeaker set up is at the moment being split into two groups, comprising the following;

1. Same sources as above; SONY TAF-770ES/SONY CDP761E/Cable Talk 3.1 loudspeakercable/ Harbeth Compact7ES2/ Stands

2. Virtue Audio Sensation M451battery PSU, ClarityCaps upgrade/ Sensation M901/Russian PIO caps with Teflon bypass caps upgrade/ JT Dynamic PSU with various tweaks/ Connex Audio 5N Litz loudspeaker cable, Impulse H6 Loudspeakers.

Me so horny- Impulse H6 Horny

I'm Mike.

Thx tarzan! As you can see i also had to get creative to aquire correct vta with the SA without the rear of the SME touching thicker records...
    I use a silicone-ish chopping board from IKEA to good effect.
    It's about 3mm thick and works a charm!

Anyway, i have bought a pair of "old" speakers! Based on the reviews online these should be a bit bright and lack bass... I cant even imagine what these "reviewers" have been using to drive the speakers;

Positioned as near the NS-1000M's as possible, these Jamo Concert 8s is delivering a very full, detailed and enjoyable sound!
    Like the Yammies, these were bought for a very reasonable amount.
    They actually deliver more bass than the NS's! The soundscape is better, but they lack some dynamics and slam in direct comparison with the NS-1000's
    All in all, a very enjoyable speaker, capable of more than you'd expect!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast