+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast

Thread: AlfaGTV's den

I'm Mike.

Rearranged, and updated. Sadly the Yammies didnt like it here...
    But i did find something nice to replace them with!
    Pioneer S-3EX, bastards to lug around but sounding very, very nice!

I'm Ian.

I like that a lot Mike, it looks a very nice place to be
    Turntable
    Toshiba SR-370/Mission 774/Van Damme cable with MS Starline plugs/Ortofon Quintet Black
    CD
    Cambridge CXC transport/modified Musical Fidelity X-DAC/modified Musical Fidelity X-10 V3 tube buffer
    Network Player
    Cambridge NP30
    Amplifier
    Denon HA-500 head amp/Nakamichi CA-5E pre-amp/Chinese passive RVC/Proton AA-1150 DMC power amp
    Speakers
    Mordaunt Short Signifer on original factory stands
    Cables
    Mogami with Rean Neutrik plugs/NVA LS5
    Headphones
    Sennheiser HD600/Sennheiser HD650/Koss Pro4 AA

I'm gone.

In the UK we generally don't get to see the high end of the big Japanese corporations' speakers.
    As an en-mass buying public we are way too insular and closed minded to make it worth their while to compete against the homegrown variety - Harbeth, Tannoy, Spendor etc.
    Which is a great shame as I'd bet those big Pioneers are excellent.

I'm Russell.

I was going to say that your new room could accommodate some larger speakers, but you’ve beat me to it! Very nice, most inviting.

Russell

I'm Mike.

Red face Thx!

The speakers work well in the room and are both highly resolving and very "musical". Enjoying them alot!
    Regarding Jerry's comment i think that is a general issue among us audiophiles (and other special interests), being open minded is more often rewarding than disappointing in these cases.

I'm Mike.

Liking my new drum alot and listening to a lot of music these days!
    However, i like headphones also. Actually most of my music is provided through the ’phones.
    I have a small collection of headphones which was expanded the other day!

And these are truly amazing! Right up there with the absolutely best personal audio.
    They are Focal Utopia and if you get the opportunity, have a listen!

I'm Chris.

Default 'phones; the Final frontier?

IMG_3420.jpgI mis read the 'Focal' as 'Final' having recently been intrigued by Final planar headphones.
    http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/final6/1.html
    (I have used Wharfedale Isodynamics for the past decade, having first bought them circa 1974, and they sat untreasured until i re-tried them out one day.....and sold the existing (Audio technica WTH-1000) phones, preferring the depth of detail in the Wharfedales) Picture now added.....
    so, I've been interested in the recent outflow of planar 'phones-Aude'ze, Oppo, Hi-Fi Man etc.
    The Finals, as is Lexus, are typically seriously considered, Japanese-finicky, and probably totally excellent.
    Just not sure I can justify +£3K for phones-well, not until I sell my Ocellias and retire to a chair.

Now to read up on Focals.....
    Last edited by hornucopia; 26-05-2018 at 11:24.
    Chris.

I'm Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    IMG_3420.jpgI mis read the 'Focal' as 'Final' having recently been intrigued by Final planar headphones.
    http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews2/final6/1.html
    (I have used Wharfedale Isodynamics for the past decade, having first bought them circa 1974, and they sat untreasured until i re-tried them out one day.....and sold the existing (Audio technica WTH-1000) phones, preferring the depth of detail in the Wharfedales) Picture now added.....
    so, I've been interested in the recent outflow of planar 'phones-Aude'ze, Oppo, Hi-Fi Man etc.
    The Finals, as is Lexus, are typically seriously considered, Japanese-finicky, and probably totally excellent.
    Just not sure I can justify +£3K for phones-well, not until I sell my Ocellias and retire to a chair.

Now to read up on Focals.....
    Ah, they look fantastic! In a 70’s way anyway!

I'm Chris.

The ear muff stuff has decayed to cloth backing (not surprsing after 44 years!) so intend to get a leatherworker friend to fit a nice Chamois replacement
    -to my spare set-nostalgic attachment to my original set.
    They are pretty inefficient; I used to run from speaker outlet of a Hafler DH-200! (100 watts per), but now do same from an i-Decco.
    One day I'll get to Jerrys again for an opinion......but late at night in bed, I frequently doze off listening to them.
    Chris.

I'm Russell.

Quote Originally Posted by hornucopia View Post
    The ear muff stuff has decayed to cloth backing (not surprsing after 44 years!) so intend to get a leatherworker friend to fit a nice Chamois replacement
    -to my spare set-nostalgic attachment to my original set.
    They are pretty inefficient; I used to run from speaker outlet of a Hafler DH-200! (100 watts per), but now do same from an i-Decco.
    One day I'll get to Jerrys again for an opinion......but late at night in bed, I frequently doze off listening to them.
    I was able to find replacement ear pads for an old Sony pair of ‘phones that fit my old pair with rotten ear pads. Was fairly affordable really. While it wasn’t an exact fit, I made them work, and it looks good.

Russell

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 27 FirstFirst ... 132122232425 ... LastLast