+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kiseki Milltek

Default Kiseki Milltek

László from Budapest :-)

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

Someone's been playing lots of heavy-metal records before the restoration

Superb job and this thing was pretty good originally I think from memory, so well worth the trouble and effort

You changed the suspension. Can you say what to and why? Silly question, but I'd appreciate your take on it please
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

I'm Simon.

He changed, coils, canti, stylus and tie wire. The one thing you can be sure of is that this cart sounds absolutely nothing like it did before, it's not even really the same cart. If it was a car all that would be left was the bodyshell and the engine block.

That said I'd rather have a newly rebuilt cart than no cart.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

I'm Neal.

László do you do the work yourself? Its impressive. How do you re-wind the coils and how do you determine how many turns? Just curious!
    Listening in a Foo free Zone...

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

Thank for all the comments.
    Unfortunately I am not that good to carry out such a work and I am not professional in it so unfortunately I don't know all the answers for you questions.
    I am sharing these photos with you with the approval of the professional who did this rebuild.
    What I know is that it is rather hard to rebuild a Koetsu or Kiseki to original specs since supply to original components is rather impossible.
    Kiseki will not supply the spare parts :-(

I upload these photos to show everybody what is inside a cartridge, what can be done with a broken piece, what can you expect for your money when you send your cart for a rebuild. There are couple of companies/individuals dealing with such service but naturally they don't provide the same quality.
    Regarding any cartridge rebuild you have to know the cartridge specs and its (hidden) potential.
    I agree with you that this rebuilt Kiseki might not sound the same as the original but it is much cheaper to rebuild it than buying a new one and it can still sound pretty good. You can rewind the coils with silver wire, put on a ruby or boron cantilever with different diamond tip shapes so the end result might become better than the original to someone. Remember that Kiseki is a good cart but not the best and people have different musical tastes and preferences so the to someone's ears the rebuild can be better.

Despite of every confusion I hope you enjoy the photos :-)

Maybe one more comment and with this I really don't want to offend anybody. Please show me a person who will restore such a dirty, damaged cartridge and give a new life to it.

Here are some photos of a recoil carried out by a well-known cartridge repair company.

and the same piece recoiled by my friend:

I'm Simon.

I struggle to believe that was done professionally by a trained repairer.
    Kuzma Stabi/S 12", (LP12-bastard) DC motor and optical tacho psu, Benz LP, Paradise (phonostage). MB-Pro, Brooklyn dac and psu, Bruno Putzeys balanced pre, mod86p dual mono amps, Yamaha NS1000m

Location: A Strangely Isolated Place in Suffolk with Far Away Trains Passing By...

I'm David.

DEEP for someone who takes such care with the re-winding.
    Tear down these walls; Cut the ties that held me
    Crying out at the top of my voice; Tell me now if you can hear me

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast