+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 into 2?

I'm Keith.

Default 1 into 2?

I have an Avondale Grad1 pre which only has one line out via RCA connections. I use a Mogami interconnect with a pair of no-name generic connectors each end. I switch between my S100 and headphone amp by unplugging from one and plugging into the other (both switched off). This is tedious and I am concerned that I could, over time, do excessive wear to connectors/terminals.
    I had thought of having a Y-cable made up so S100 and headphone amp are always connected with one always switched off while the other is in use. Will this noticably degrade the sq? Are there any other ways of doing this other than replacing the pre? Would I be better off having two sets of interconnect always connected at the S100 or Head amp and swap over at the pre each time which would be easier as it is at the top of the rack. Danger here is ensuring the unit not in use is always switched off.
    I have looked at Mark Grant G1500 and 2000 and the Yannis 223.5. Any views on how these two compare as regards presentation and would either be a better fit with my system. I am using ATC SCM40s with NAC A5 at present and I like an open clear but smooth sound. Will probably be looking to change speaker cable also as I need longer lengths so a recommendation for suitable replacements here would also be gratefully received. I like the NAC A5 and would use that again. When I tried Chord Epic I felt there was not a huge improvement, if any, especially considering the price.
    Any advice most appreciated.
    Best regards,
    Keith.
    Garrard 401, Groovemaster 2, Arche headshell, Miyajima Shilabe, Paradise Phono amp,
    Aqua La Voce dac
    Salas DCB1
    Najda active crossover and DSP.
    Crown XLi 1500 x 2 bridged, Neurochrome Mod 86 monos, Guy Sergeant Hiraga Le Monstre,
    DIY open baffle with 18" Fane Colossus XB, Beyma 12p80ND and Beyma TPL150H with BK XLS 400 sub.

I'm tony.

RCA splitters from maplin are good and well made. Mark grant does bi-amp cables which are very good and can be terminated with 1500 spec plugs at the other ends. Dont really know what sonic degradation splitting the signal would do though...

I'm Mark.

You could use the output of the tape loop to feed your headphone amp. (assuming your not using the tape loop for anything else)

I'm Keith.

The Grad1 only has three lines in and one line out on the back, no tape out hence the problem. I am wary of splitters as they add extra connections so wondered if a professionally built split cable would be better? MG and Yannis can both build the cable but was wondering if anyone here had any experience of how they affect SQ. I suppose it is just a bi-amp cable? Also wanted views on MG copper -v- Yannis silver with my gear, silver seems to be mainly popular with people with valve systems? Or is that too much of a generalisation?
    Best regards,
    Keith.
    Garrard 401, Groovemaster 2, Arche headshell, Miyajima Shilabe, Paradise Phono amp,
    Aqua La Voce dac
    Salas DCB1
    Crown XLi 1500 x 2 bridged, Neurochrome Mod 86 monos, Guy Sergeant Hiraga Le Monstre,
    DIY open baffle with 18" Fane Colossus XB, Beyma 12p80ND and Beyma TPL150H with BK XLS 400 sub.

I'm Bernie.

This might be useful.
    Bernie.

I'm Bob.

Quote Originally Posted by Canetoad View Post
    This might be useful.
    +1
    No impedance issues....

I'm tony.

I used MG bi amp cables for about a year, they were very neutral and uncoloured.MG is a great guy to deal with and will trade in/upgrade cables as you move along. I consider his cables as long term investments...

I'm Keith.

Thanks for the views guys. That splitter unit from Beresford does look very interesting and needs further investigation. I think I will investigate having an extra line out hard wired into the pre also as this may be the neatest solution and will stick with the MG copper cables rather than silver. Any experience out there of the differences effected by using different connectors on the cables, standard-neutrik-eichmann/WBT copper-eichmann/WBT silver?
    Best regards,
    Keith.
    Aqua La Voce dac
    Salas DCB1

I'm James.

I would think splitting the cable would have a detrimental effect (I have never tried it, but instinctively, I think you'd still be essentially 'driving' two amps, even with one switched off, and essentially two lengths of cable, not to mention the compromise in the cable design, etc.).

If you had digital sources only, I'd recommend splitting the headphone amp off before the preamp and getting a headphone amp/DAC (many good standalone DACs also contain very good head amp these days) and running the phones off that and the speakers through the Grad 1 (amazing preamp, btw). The turntable is problematic with that solution though.

Perhaps call Les and see if anything could be done with two sets of outputs, he's the man and will know for sure (I'd ask him about the cable splitting idea too)? Good luck!

Regarding connectors- the WBT Nextgen and Eichmann designs definitely sound better than the standard RCA plugs (I have direct experience of this having upgraded to WBT Nextgens from 'standard' WBTs on my Kimber Select cables. I have no direct experience of the Eichmanns but they are a similar design principle. Personally, I prefer the sound of silver WBTs, but IMO the difference between copper and silver is far less than that of the difference between the different designs of plugs (much as the sound of silver in cables is a question of degrees, whereas the physical design and geomerty of a cable makes a larger difference). Also, from previous experience, ordinary purity silver sounds much worse than ordinary copper. Once you get into UP-OCC or 6N purity, it's a different matter

I'm James.

By the way, to really maximise the gains from switching to NextGen plugs, use the NextGen sockets too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast