+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested music from Finland?

I'm Mika.

Nice to hear that atleast someone is checking these recommendations out!

If you like finnish jazz then perhaps following pretty fresh albums are worth of checking out:

They're all pretty different but still..
    Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

I'm Keith.

Will check those out Mika -- many thanks.
    Keith
    Analogue: Lenco L75 with 'PTP5' top plate in heavy birch ply plinth/re-wired Rega RB300/SAE 1000e HOMC Cartridge/Trans-Fi Reso-Mat/Moth RCM
    Files: Voyage MPD/Custom PC/Supra USB/Beresford ASYNCH-1/Beresford TOSlink cable
    CDP: Inca Katana SE
    DAC: Beresford Caiman MkII (LiPo Battery powered)
    Pre-Amp: Croft Micro 25 Power-Amp: Croft Series 7
    Speakers: DIY Frugel-Horn Mk3 ('FH3') + REL Strata subwoofer
    Headphones: Beyer Dynamics DT990 Pro (250 ohm)/Schiit Asgard Headphone Amp
    Cables - Interconnects: Mark Grant G1000HD Speaker Cables: Van Damme Blue
    Mains: Belkin PF30/Mark Grant DSP2.5 & DSP1.0 Rack: Target

Office System: HP Win8 Laptop/JRiver/MF V-Link2/Beresford Bushmaster MkII/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 771e
    Bedroom System: Raspberry Pi/Raspbrian + MPD/HiFiBerry DAC/Topping TP20 Mk2/Mission 760i or DIY Hybrid Valve-MOSFET Headphone amp + Sennheiser HD595

Gallery

I'm the'greatunwashed'.

Thanks Mika, I'll have a look too as we often seem to play similar music.
    "People will hear what you tell them to hear" - Thomas Edison

I'm Mika.

That's great!

If you like to take time and list some of your favorites, I could then see what recommendations comes to my mind. In this topic they would naturally be finnish origin or have some kind of link to Finland. But as I think finding and sharing new music is the best part of this wouldn't mind at all..
    Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

I'm david.

i saw a group in Helsinki years ago called New Spirit Helsinki, picked up their disc on double or triple LP, very cool. Havent seen the LP at my place for a while now, so I will go looking and try and send a pic. But check them out, im sure there is a youtube vid.

I'm Mika.

Haven't heard about that on but are you sure it wasn't spelled Nuspirit Helsinki? That's a group have heard earlier and also seen live once on some summer festival. They do some lounge style new jazz and also electronic stuff and have been participating at least on few Jazzanova remix-albums etc. in addition of their own LPs..

I'm Mika.

Oddarrang - In Cinema

Oddarrang is very interesting group in finnish jazz scene. Not really new on but just lately received very nice publicity with their new album In Cinema. Check out a spot on review from the Guardian and find their latest from Spotify or other sources for listening..

http://www.theguardian.com/music/201...-cinema-review

I'm Mika.

The Punk Syndrome

I guess this is something should have posted ages ago. The band Pertti Kurikan Nimipäivät is a punk band from Helsinki, Finland. The band members work in a music/culture workshop for disabled people. They play all the instruments by themselves and wrote the music and lyrics as well. The band has been there for some time and have seen them live few times and they really have the spirit!

Their debut album is a solid piece of punk rock but the documentary is actually greater piece of art that everyone should see despite of the musical preferences. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED as familiar to us from some hifi mag equipment reviews..

http://film.list.co.uk/article/48487-the-punk-syndrome/

I'm Mika.

Ailli Ikonen & Tribute to Ella

Perhaps not perfect by any means but very nice and well recorded tribute by finnish singer Aili Ikonen and her band put together for this specific occasion. Or atleast I guess that is how it started For the fans of the Lady definitely something to consider purchasing..

http://tributetoella.com/in-english/

I'm Mika.

Oddarrang - In Cinema

This is the album of the 2013! Already wrote some words few posts ago but slowly this has been growing in me..

Experimental Finnish band Oddarrang make a genre-defying sound, influenced by jazz, classical, world music and postmodern rock. They have been compared to the cool but moving expression of Icelanders like Björk and Sigur Rós – a mesmerising and spiritual sonic soundscape. Oddarrang’s debut album won the Finnish equivalent of the Grammies for best Jazz Album of the Year 2007. Oddarrang’s fascinating mix of musical moods, traditions and their unusual instrumentation (trombone, cello, guitar, acoustic bass and drums) are gaining them more fans at every performance. In Cinema, their third album released in Oct 2013, is a remarkable album and one set to push the band into new worlds.

Really special and fascinating album with some cinematic storytelling and definitely worth checking out!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast