+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Interested music from Finland?

I'm Mika.

Default Interested music from Finland?

Some years ago I wrote to Naim forum the following intro:

Hi all,

Recently had an idea related to this forum as have been lurking around for a while.

I listen mainly old school and also modern punk, rock, proge and jazz music. The selection includes quite a bunch of finnish bands, including some nice indie findings. Classical I listan sometimes but I have to admit being quite a newbie on that front. As a format I prefer LP but also CD and occasionally some lossless digiformats will do for leisure listening. Once a month I write LP reviews to one local hifi magazine, the main interest here is traditional jazz and finnish indiepop I guess.

If you are only interested of the idea I could write here occasionally some small inserts about the interesting finnish artists and their works possibly with links to their Myspace pages, Spotify etc. Nothing fancy but still something. So how about it?

Cheers,

Mika K

Got positive reaction and finally did few pages of some mini reviews and introductions for interesting finnish artists and albums. These can be found here http://forums.naimaudio.com/displayF...5822057/page/1 and hope that you can find at least part of the posts there interesting. Now as do not spend much time at Naim forum anymore planned to continue these here whenever have something nice to share..

So, stay tuned for the first real post
    Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

I'm Mika.

In with Lassy

As many of you already know Scandinavia has been really one of the hot spots for jazz during the late years. Even if there might be that Scandinavian sound existing, I'm pretty sure that one Timo Lassy has isn't one of those.

He has played at several top groups during the past decade and last week his owm group published their third album. They're known to spread the word for happy dancehall jazz to modern crowd but at least I really like the way they're mixing old and new. And oh boy they're strong live performers on stage!

Spotify has his first two albums and two singles from the latest one available http://open.spotify.com/album/6Qg7dlcOJ36bsU7neQ2yPq. All the albums are available as LP and especially the latest one is really HQ pressing, so for those to jazz absolutely recommended
    Loricraft / Garrard / SME / Transfiguration / Dynavector / Ensemble / Auditorium 23 / Shindo / RA / Audio Note / Duelund / Altec

I'm Nick.

Nice idea Mika. I'm always up for hearing more about bands from 'other countries', other than the UK and US that is.

I only know a couple of Finnish bands at the moment, both Metal ones, there does seem a strong underground metal scene in Finland.

Nightwish, who are fantastic

And Finntroll... folk metal.

Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

I'm Mika.

Then please be sure to check this old post for the estonian folk-metal band called Metsatöll

http://forums.naimaudio.com/displayF...66878605822171

I'm Nobody.

Elonkorjuu
    Haikara
    Pekka Pohjola/Wigwam

I'm Mika.

Very famous bands there.

I really like the debut album of Haikara as it's somehow twisted in interesting manner. Their second album is also ok, despite not being so impressive than the debut. If you like Haikara then please also try band called Apollo if not familiar yet. They made only one album and it's also considered one of classic finnish albums in the genre. One possible reason might be that young Edward Vesala was one leading force at the band playing the drums and percussions.

Elonkorjuu, hmm Just one or two years ago there was HQ reissue made out of Elonkorjuu debut album Harvest Time, which is really good album. Also just recently (a month ago I think) there was new Elonkorjuu 4cd collectors box launched - Seasons. Haven't got that one but one of my friend was very excited of the release when it came out.

For Pekka Pohjola or Wigwam I don't even start now as then I would have to go also to Tasavallan Presidentti and that would again lead me to Pekka Streng and then Love Records and..

I'm Mika.

Loong time without any input here but now I'm obligated to write something as Jan 18th Svart Records released the debut album of one new finnish progressive rock band "Sammal" which means in english moss (the plant or whatever that is..). Tha band has started their journey on 2004 and after some singles and extensive live performances it's about time for this.

The album is bringing influences from 70's music and especially the ones lead by perhaps the most famous finnish record company, the Love Records. The bands material is strong and their approach is fresh but you definately can hear echoes from the bands such as Tabula Rasa and Tasavallan Presidentti. The music paints nice finnish landscapes and the language for the songs is finnish. Despite I recommend all the prog fans to check the band out, especially if the bands mentiones at the previous posts are familiar to you..

From Spotify http://open.spotify.com/artist/163FlKihIniAXnf9NdoIZk and Youtube..

I'm Mika.

Big Blue

This is the debut album of the finnish quartet of young and talented musicians. The subtle choices and direction are truly playing important part in the album and the music is a kind of ambient minimalism combined to traditional jazz that emphasises the members abilities as an artists. Kind of music that reminds me of the famous Verneri Pohjola Quartet.

I like the album very much, please check it out from Spotify http://open.spotify.com/user/mrok/pl...wDbd2vcs41wQ76 or one of their live performances from Youtube..

I'm Mika.

Very long time with no update but suddenly remembered this thread as listened one album from one finnish new interesting progressive group.

Suomen Tulli

The second LP of this band coming from Tornio (very small finnish town) continues in the mood of classic 70s progressive rock. They certainly have their own sound that is not copied but still reminds me of names like Tabula Rasa, Caravan or Pekka Streng. The personal lyrics are finnish only but if you like classic scandinavian progressive rock and the band Sammal I wrote some time ago perhaps worth checking this also out..

Spotify - http://open.spotify.com/album/3ec3uJeaZ8yWFyxAp23hhE
    Youtube - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idOyMKH9SZE
    Last edited by Mika K; 08-12-2013 at 18:48.

I'm Twisted.

Hi

I've been checking out Big Blue - nice album, thanks for the recommendation.
    Simon

MINI DSP SHD; Longdog 300b; Reiver Fenwicks

Twitter @siashmore

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast