+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spotify...An instant digital jukebox

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

I'm WrappingALilacCurtainAroundMyBobby.

Sorry Brian, looks like I got it wrong - day pass just deletes the Ads. The Premium subscription has no fixed term though, so guess I could try a month and see.
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.
    Please see "about me" for the rest of my cr@p! Gallery

A.o.S. on Facebook - A.o.S. on Spotify - A.o.S. on Twitter

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_UK View Post
    Sorry Brian, looks like I got it wrong - day pass just deletes the Ads. The Premium subscription has no fixed term though, so guess I could try a month and see.
    I thought it a bit mean, not to give the higher bitrate on the day-pass.

I am still evaluating Spotify. I don't think the quality is as good as my hibit internet radio stations streamed with my Squeezebox. 160 OGG ought to be better that Swiss Radio Classic - 128 MP3, but I don't think it is.

I have formed the same opinion listening using
    1. DSBridge and the Squeezebox with coax S/PDOF to Caiman
    2 Shuttle XP PC with optical S/PDIF or USB connection to the Caiman.

I too must try it for a month at 320 OGG.

I am really waiting for an official Logitech solution to Spotify on the Squeezebox.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Confused.

Hi Guys,
    If this is a naughty question to ask on an open forum I apologise in advance but ...
    Is it possible to download (as in keep a permanent copy on the hard drive) of Spotify files and, if so, can some one let me in to how, please?
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I believe Audacity http://audacity.sourceforge.net/ has the ability to capture the audio stream and save it to hard drive.

The progam cannot determine whether it is lawful in any set of circumstances to do that. Only the user can make such a judgement.
    Last edited by Labarum; 01-09-2009 at 17:15.
    Brian

In Southampton: Raspberry Pi 4 running PiCorePlayer, Beresford Caiman SEG, Quad 77 Int Amp and CD Player, AVI Neutron 4, Sennheiser HD25 headphones.
    In Nicosia: Small Format HTPC, Beresford 7520 ,Quad 405-2, Quart 980s German Tower Loudspeakers.

I'm Confused.

Hmmm, interesting that, Brian, thanks.
    Not that I would myself or indeed, recommend anybody else to do it but, if one was so minded, and one was prepared to break the law, one could get organised and decide in advance a list of tracks one would love to own, one could pay for the premium service for one month, dowload one's list and bail out, couldn't one?
    But one shouldn't, should one?
    Cheers,
    DaveK.

My System:
    Power: Belkin PF40, Custom.hifi.cables Hydra and DC PSUs.
    Sources: Self built HTPC with Xonar ST sound card, NAD T585 multi disc player, Sony BDP-S350, Squeezebox Touch, Techncs SL1210 (mod'd) + Nagaoka MP30, Thomson Sky HD box.
    Amps etc.: 2 x Mini-T amps, MF-X10D Valve buffer clone, StanDAC 7520/Caiman (mod'd).
    Speakers: Mission 774s with added super tweeters
    Cables: best I can afford and likely to change except Homar's RF attenuated co-ax's and Mark Grant USB and HDMI cables. I also like silver i/cs and speaker cable.

I'm ChrisB.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    Hmmm, interesting that, Brian, thanks.
    Not that I would myself or indeed, recommend anybody else to do it but, if one was so minded, and one was prepared to break the law, one could get organised and decide in advance a list of tracks one would love to own, one could pay for the premium service for one month, dowload one's list and bail out, couldn't one?
    But one shouldn't, should one?
    Cheers,
    Yes Dave,
    That is exactly what a hypothetical person could do if they accidentally found themselves in such an imaginary situation...........I would suppose.

I'm Steve.

Also Rogue Amoeba's Audio Hijack Pro..
    If it were legal of course.
    What?
    It slipped into me 'and officer.

I'm Nick.

Spotify is great, but it's only lossily-compressed music at the end of the day - if you wanted to keep a copy because you liked something a lot, wouldn't you want to have a 'proper' copy rather than one that had been quality-reduced to allow reliable streaming?

One of the great things about Spotify is that as long as you have an internet connection the tunes are always there to enjoy - so there's no need to save a copy anyway
    Nick
    My system...

Follow AOS on Twitter: @AoS_Forum

Alex_UK is offline Spotify + Facebook Moderator / Chilled-Out Wino and only here for the shilling

Quote Originally Posted by Beechwoods View Post
    One of the great things about Spotify is that as long as you have an internet connection the tunes are always there to enjoy - so there's no need to save a copy anyway
    Exactly my point, Nick, as I've already got so much music on CD or LP (or on HDD) there will be stuff I will never play again that I own, and my tastes have evolved. Pay a tenner a month, for Spotify and it doesn't matter (when I tell you that my Credit Card bill was £470 last month, and apart from £50 for a new driver for my speaker the remainder was all on CDs you can probably see why I am seriously contemplating it!) Before the Caiman I would never have considered it, but I reckon 320 kbps Spotify vs CD will be so close my cloth ears won't be able to really tell the difference, and if there is something I totally fall in love with I can still buy it on CD/LP - plus I've still got 2,100 CD Albums and about 600 LPs (and another several hundred 7" & 12" singles and CD singles) which won't be going anywhere...

Just to add, for me personally, I would never (have never) "pirated" music, films or software - a whole different topic, but I believe it is theft so to do, and I would no more download an album off Limewire than I would stick it up my jumper in a record shop...
    Alex

Main System: Digital: HP Laptop/M2Tech Hiface/Logitech Media Server/FLAC; Marantz SA7001 KI Signature SACD Player and other digital stuff into Gatorised Beresford Caiman DAC Vinyl: Garrard 401/SME 3009 SII Improved/Sumiko HS/Nagaoka MP-30
    Amplifier: Rega Brio R. Speakers: Spendor SP1. Cables: Various, mainly Mark Grant.

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing and be nothing Aristotle

Well I've subscribed, and was busy listening to the higher bit-ratr versions of some Jeff Buckley when the postie delivered Mike Homar's new cable, so I'm stuck back on CDs now...

One thing I have now realised though is that there are a LOT more artists missing than I realised - 3/4 of this forum probably wouldn't sign up on principal - NO Beatles, NO Pink Floyd, NO Led Zepp, NO AC/DC, NO Metallica - Spotify are not alone in not being able to host these acts, I understand, but there is quite a big hole.
    Alex

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast